TarcisioCM's Civilizations

So yeah... SaveUtils, what do they do again?

I tried two different test games, one without ExCE and one with ExCE but with the SaveUtils deleted from the six new Civ's folders. In both cases each game ran without a hitch, however The Medes first Magus in both instances did not produce an enhanced religion, which I think was pointed out by another user as well.

I knew right away that the Medes would be very attractive Civ for my by play-style, and that proved to be more than true even without the Magus' ability. I am loving the building sharing capability of the capital, but it's probably even more enhanced for me because I use 5 tile city radius.

I really get the feeling though that arbitrarily deleting Lua files is not going to be the long term solution, as obviously SaveUtils must do something important, but for now that seems to be a work around if anyone is experiencing any crashes or other issues with ExCE.

So yeah... SaveUtils, what do they do again?

I tried two different test games, one without ExCE and one with ExCE but with the SaveUtils deleted from the six new Civ's folders. In both cases each game ran without a hitch, however The Medes first Magus in both instances did not produce an enhanced religion, which I think was pointed out by another user as well.

I knew right away that the Medes would be very attractive Civ for my by play-style, and that proved to be more than true even without the Magus' ability. I am loving the building sharing capability of the capital, but it's probably even more enhanced for me because I use 5 tile city radius.

I really get the feeling though that arbitrarily deleting Lua files is not going to be the long term solution, as obviously SaveUtils must do something important, but for now that seems to be a work around if anyone is experiencing any crashes or other issues with ExCE.
Saveutils basically stores information to be used later. By removing saveutils, you kill anything that requires this information to work. For example, the Mede ability will work erratically, only triggering on certain situations that don't require the knowledge of which buildings were already constructed and which cities should receive these buildings. The Magus won't work because his code requires him to know if he has spred a religion or not. The Lombards will flat out not work at all, because that civ is extremely reliant on saveutils. Visigoths need it for the UA, to detect for example if you already got a great work in the current era. Ostrogoths need it on the UA and UU for XP related business. Great Moravia needs it everywhere, and Portugals as well.

Basically nothing in the designs will work if you remove saveutils or play with ExCE enabled.

Saveutils basically stores information to be used later. By removing saveutils, you kill anything that requires this information to work. For example, the Mede ability will work erratically, only triggering on certain situations that don't require the knowledge of which buildings were already constructed and which cities should receive these buildings. The Magus won't work because his code requires him to know if he has spred a religion or not. The Lombards will flat out not work at all, because that civ is extremely reliant on saveutils. Visigoths need it for the UA, to detect for example if you already got a great work in the current era. Ostrogoths need it on the UA and UU for XP related business. Great Moravia needs it everywhere, and Portugals as well.

Basically nothing in the designs will work if you remove saveutils or play with ExCE enabled.

That's what I was afraid of. Alright, thank you.

Obviously I understand that you are under no obligation whatsoever to ensure that your mods will work with "x," or "y," but do you have any plans to patch these for ExCE compatibility? Like I said, if the answer is no, that's perfectly understandable, but asking is to hope.

What does ExCE have to do with it?

ExCE uses TableSaverLoader, which notoriously conflicts with SaveUtils. As I've said in the past, try NewSaveUtils instead, or switch to TSL - I use TSL in Akhenaten and Karl XII to no fault.

Damn, I never realised those two conflict either. Does NewSaleUtils alleviate the conflict (and can it be used interchangeably with SaveUtils?) or is it just a case of everything's gonna conflict with it if they're used together

Do the new civs conflict with the other JFD mods? I just got a CTD after hiring some mercenaries as Maria, and I'm pretty sure that Mercenaries uses TSL, doesn't it?

I've only known TSL to conflict with Tarcisio's civs, which predominantly use SaveUtils.

I think the question is, "Is any civ that uses SaveUtils going to conflict with any mod that uses TSL?" I know at least one of my mods uses SaveUtils, so I'm guessing that Tomatekh and Pouakai are concerned their mods that use SaveUtils are also going to conflict with ExCE (or any other mod using TSL)...

I just got a CTD after hiring some mercenaries as Maria, and I'm pretty sure that Mercenaries uses TSL, doesn't it?

It does. ExCE, CID, and RtP do, CulDiv does not.

I think the question is, "Is any civ that uses SaveUtils going to conflict with any mod that uses TSL?" I know at least one of my mods uses SaveUtils, so I'm guessing that Tomatekh and Pouakai are concerned their mods that use SaveUtils are also going to conflict with ExCE (or any other mod using TSL)...

I know, but, as I said, I only know as far as Tarcisio's mods are concerned. I abandoned SaveUtils/NewSaveUtils precisely because it was relatively unreliable - I don't know the basis of why this is so, however.

It does. ExCE, CID, and RtP do, CulDiv does not.

:cry:

But how can I play as imperialist conquerer without colonies or exploration!

Soo, as i understod, all new Tarcs civs don't work with JFD's mods ? :/

"Just as the experts test gold by burning it, cutting it and applying it on a touchstone, my statements should be accepted only after critical examination" -- the Buddha.

Shaglio, I patched the aqueduct bug for the Medes.

I'll transition to new save utils for future civs, but you lot shouldn't expect updates for previous civs. I've donated more than my fair share of time to modding. :help:

I know, but, as I said, I only know as far as Tarcisio's mods are concerned. I abandoned SaveUtils/NewSaveUtils precisely because it was relatively unreliable - I don't know the basis of why this is so, however.

This is actually some rather useful information for me -- I'd gotten some reports that v4 of Future Worlds was crashing for some people when used with a number of mods, while v3 was stable. I couldn't really think of any factor that I'd changed between the versions that would account for it, until I realized tonight I'd at one point added SaveUtils while experimenting with some new ideas. If SaveUtils can cause the game to crash when used in conjunction with other mods using TSL, then that may explain why Future Worlds is suddenly causing some problems.

Fortunately, in this particular instance, I can solve the problem fairly easily -- I'm not actually using SaveUtils currently, but left it in by accident when publishing the new version. But I figure I'll have to learn to use TSL moving forwards in the future to avoid future conflicts.

I kinda just noticed the multi release from a few pages back which is AWESOME. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

gg m8 wp

hello! this new civs have decisions support? i test Portugal, Great Moravia, Medes and Lombards and no one have specific decisions, and on steam don't appears pictures with specific decisions for these civs ... so what?

thanx for these awesome
releases!

Top Bottom