Team Game - Isolated Pacal (Deity)

I see granary as not urgent there, would rather have the sea tile next turn (from Cap border pop).
We could add 1 shared mine that Lakamha can work later at size 4, might be useful here and there.

Last edited:
Looks like a bit of standstill here, with Pedro taking a Civ break.
Anybody cept Lain & me feeling like playing a bit? :)

(looks like we cannot afford 2nd Mutal cottage currently, with monument timing and need chop first)

Do you have clear plan discussed out?

In particular for workers and cap? Chop, improve shared mine (seems wasteful), improve something for another fish site?

I'd imagine second settler to be whipped 5>3 once IW is done? (workers can clear jungle for the site while he runs)... Squeeze another worker in cap?

Hm, at least 13 turns until IW (3rd city will slow us down a bit?), so I thought Monument should still come in time. But we can move a worker for chopping next turn and delay Mutal cottage by 1T. Would help if we knew exact date of IW :) ... also, are the Gems so urgent that we will use 2x workers?

My worker plan was... finish that Mutal cottage and chop every single forest available (each worker can cut 3x). I agree that a shared mine would be useful. Since 3rd city will take the pig mine. Preferably we chop Monument+Granary into 3rd city asap?

Mutal: Settler-Settler-Worker (can delay getting 2nd settler out though) ... under no circumstances should we whip here (without a Granary).

Lakamha: Chop Monument+Granary, grow to size 4. Maybe whip a worker then upon reaching IW... 4 workers seems more realistic. A lot of jungle to cut.

I would say that the gems are urgent: they'll be our main source of commerce.

Looking forward to figure what your priorities are... most likely in few months or so.
Not sure what you mean, granary not being too important comes from happy cap 4, not whipping it from getting 3c more next turn instead.
Workers can chop only or build one shared (green) mine after chop there, main priority was keeping commerce tiles so not much whipping used as more workers or earlier new cities cost gold.

If granaries are not important, why Pottery? You could have IW by now (or close to it) and the only bonus for delaying it so far is one non river-side cottage...

Try bringing something positive please, there are enuf serious threads on Civ Fanatics..
we never claimed playing perfect, team game does not mean that here and it's just for fun.

Sorry I've been busy the last week and haven't really had time to look at this.

We had a 40% research bonus on Pottery so it was only ~5T worth of beakers (and maybe 1T to collect gold). IW is considerably more expensive. It's not just Pottery vs IW.. it's delaying IW 5-6 turns vs delaying Pottery nearly 20 turns. Even though the granary hasn't been built in Lakamha yet, without Pottery Lakamha wouldn't be able to start on the granary in a few turns after the monument is finished. Our workers also wouldn't be able to built cottages right now, limiting their actions to chopping and building roads. Maybe it would've been a little better to have chopped into the Lakamha granary immediately after chopping the first axe in Mutal, but i really don't think it's a huge deal. Lakamha can't do much beyond size 3 right now, so the main advantage of an early granary would be for some 2 pop whips.

Anyway, it's one thing to to question decisions here, but please try not to do it in a snarky manner. It would also help to contribute and offer alternative solutions beforehand rather than just criticizing decisions afterwards.

Now, onto the current situation...

Mutal border pop next turn allows Lakamha to work the coast for more commerce. That also means 1 hammer per turn there so we need to chop soon. I think you were already planning to do that so that's good.

Mutal settler doesn't seem urgent to me. Any 3rd city right now is an economic drag before IW. It might be a different matter if we had a pasture on the pigs right now so that city we could settle 1SE of pigs, quickly grow to size 2, and whip a monument to get fish, but as it stands right now, it's a city that offers very little. I'm not even sure where to settle it. I think i still like 1SE of pigs and then another city down there 3S on the river, but then the fish city would need a border pop to even claim any of the river tiles. Maybe a jungle city on the river (3S of the future fish city) is a better 3rd city site to claim the tiles followed by a 4th city for the fish?? That would claim a lot of the tiles and allow the fish city to work some of those river tiles before a border pop.

I really don't see a clear answer to that at the moment. A 3rd city for the fish right now would really only be able to work coast.

So my thoughts...

1) Move one worker on forested grassland hill, chop Monument for Lakamha + build mine after that. Other worker finishes cottage (2T), goes chopping after that...

2) Settler in Mutal should be finished asap, imo. Other chop could go into this. 3rd city would go SE of pigs and work the pig mine. Also has two forests to chop Monument+Granary immediately. A 3rd city is still (pretty much) net benefit and will delay Iron Working by 2-3 turns, at worst. More importantly, we have to catch up on expansion. City will also be more prepared to work the juicy jungle river tiles and actually leverage Iron Working.

3) Next settler (for 4th city, somewhere in the jungle with forest in first ring, see screenshot) should be ready to pop once we hit IW. With a worker in place to chop forest and build a cottage.

4) My biggest regret so far is building those cottages in Mutal, maybe. Granary in Lakamha could be chopped already. Also a mine would be more useful, I think. But it's fine the way it is and I played the last few turns, so self-blame if anything ;)

Settle plan? Should check the coast.

Spoiler :

Who plays next?

Edit: Suggested Worker Plan in detail

Spoiler :

("Red" worker should also finish the Mutal cottage before going on that path). But meh, Monument in 3rd city comes too late this way? Maybe don't chop in Mutal now, then. And "red" worker builds the mine instead.

Last edited:
Finally some time, whew :)

No need for "self blame" Lain lol, being sceptical about cottages that give only 1c for 10t is easy but those will still be good tiles soon.
We will be happy to have them.

I still like fish city, it's save from barb galleys and with delaying writing can become one of our scientist places in time imo.
Pigs tile will be useful for getting 10 monument hammers (and granary, others with chop), here we will already make better use of Mutal cottages replacing them. 1se of pigs, yup.

Granary in Lakamha..we only have that topic cos of expansive, but why would some extra food be so important currently?
City does what we want, creating commerce. I see little use in whipping here before library.
If we build a mine, no need for granary chop too.

Workers..i can see us leaving 2 forests in Mutal, even with expansive we have few food resis soon for Monarchy.
Bit less chopping work also means more time for jungle sooner, would not make much sense imo to chop for 3rd worker or so.
We can whip 1x instead (into granary) after commerce needs easy up and we reach IW.

Last edited:
True, we can get a 3T monument there with a chop and borrowing the pigs mine. Maybe it can take a Mutal cottage after that until border pop onto the fish.

River city has a 1st ring forest too so that can be chopped into something and then a cottage can be built there before we have to clear all the rest of the jungle. There's so much jungle there though, that city might have health problems even at really small sizes. Maybe EXP will help with that, but I've definitely had jungle cities before that were stagnant at size 1 due to the amount of -health.

All I'm seeing here is LOTS of worker turns though.

Who plays (good question Lain), hmm i will if we have nobody until tomorrow.
Maybe it's too optimistic that we will always find someone?

I saw myself more in the backup role, could be a great chance for those not playing deity very often too.
We are really not looking for perfection ;)

Okay i played until IW.

Whipped 2nd settler in Mutal for worker overflow, idea would be that he helps with gems while another one starts clearing jungle already.

2 Axes are not much currently, and they will be very busy defending gems and fish+pigs city while also trying to find time for 4th city.
Lakhama needs not much defense, worst case here would be an Axe whip but ofc we will try avoiding that. Building warrior and moving woodie out would be much better.

We have 1 worker where we can decide on chopping another forest for fish city, i guess that makes most sense with the barb situation (difficult moving south currently for new city).
Another option would be clearing one of those river jungles between fish & 4th city.

Added pic
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Maya BC-1560.CivBeyondSwordSave
    113.9 KB · Views: 140
  • pacal.jpg
    pacal.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 528
Last edited:
Oops i forgot we can move our Mutal warrior out, could have done that last turn already.
(secret benefits of slavery.. ;))

Will help with barbs hopefully, i suggest moving him towards Lakhama so woodie can move out.

I'm willing to play a turnset in the future, but then I'd like some clear instructions :)

Will open the save later to have a more detailed look at the current situation, a bit hard to tell from the screenshots.

The gems will need a road to be connected to our trade network, right? Building a road 1NW on the plain hill actually makes the road useful for faster unit movement (to the west, or to the east for 2 move units). But the riverside jungle 1W is probably tile we will want to chop relatively soon anyway.

Top Bottom