The Big Bang: Why is it still being taught?

Calling them fudge factors or 'without evidence' is a pretty horrid summary of the fields. And, of the three 'factors', I'd say that Inflation is the most important to the Big Bang model, and it's not really taught at lower levels. Only at higher levels where its evidence can be comprehended.

In bold, because it was ignored in my last response to the claims in the OP: Dark matter has been observed by gravitational lensing.

So we know that there is something out there that behaves like dark matter. We just don't know what it is exactly. The lack of observation in laboratory experiments only proves that dark matter has not the properties that would lead to an observation in those experiments, but is by no means a crisis for the Big Bang Theory, because the existence of the effects needed for it has been observed.

The question why it is taught is easy to answer: It is the explanation for the measured data with the least problems and the most evidence. Any other explanation has more problems and less evidence going for it.

"This thing is amazing and works in a way unimaginable, and there is no explanation, clearly it must be designed."

My favorite. Basically saying they don't have the intelligence to figure out an explanation therefore there is not one.

On the other hand, I'm just as much annoyed by die-hard atheists who claim that because Young-Earth creationism is disproven, so must that be conclusive evidence against the existence of god. And I'm not even religious! Lack of confirming evidence is not evidence for non-existence and confusing the two is just as anti-scientific as bending science to your political objectives. Actually, the latter is often a motivation for the former.

On the other hand, I'm just as much annoyed by die-hard atheists who claim that because Young-Earth creationism is disproven, so must that be conclusive evidence against the existence of god. And I'm not even religious! Lack of confirming evidence is not evidence for non-existence and confusing the two is just as anti-scientific as bending science to your political objectives. Actually, the latter is often a motivation for the former.

What?

Seriously, who does that?

Why could it not be that god or whoever created the universe with the big bang?

The big bang theory does not preclude the possibility of something beyond our selves, be it god or whatever. If you think of the big bang theory, evolution and whatever else as tools then the question becomes what is directing these tools, random chance or some sort of design?

God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance. Just because we can't explain something right now, doesn't mean we won't in a few decades from now.

It's just one of the best examples of what I said above. Sometimes you can't help but feel one follows right from the other.

Why do we still teach it?
It is more in line with scientific understanding of the beginning of the universe than "A wizard did it".

To be fair, God is at least a level 50 mage.
Yeah, but Stephen Hawking is a level 72 scientist with the spell "Scientific Method".

It certainly could be, it's just that there's no reason to believe that that is the case.

Another thing:

Scientific method does not prove the existence of dark matter yet *includes article in OP to prove YECism*.

Scientific method method proves the world is 4.5 billion years old, humans evolved from "monkeys," and that sunsets occur independent of God *articles nowhere to be found*.

They recently found the skull of Adam and based on DNA evidence found on the skull, have concluded that it really was Adam and Steve.

The big bang theory does not preclude the possibility of something beyond our selves, be it god or whatever. If you think of the big bang theory, evolution and whatever else as tools then the question becomes what is directing these tools, random chance or some sort of design?
This one is my favorite. It is indeed very much like claiming that a god must have created evolution.

Never give up. Never surrender!

God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance.
Good answer, Neil deGrasse Tyson?

Top Bottom