The Democratic Caliphate.

I don't like it how people say "English is the hardest language to learn" I would disagree :lol: It depends. If all you know is Arabic, it will be hard to learn any Western language because of the totally different alphabet and how it's read the other way. And yes, a person can administer or they can have administered.

The opinion over here is that english is the easiest foreign language to learn. This is the opinion of many. I would guess the same amount of people would say spanish is the easiest foreign language to learn (I'm not on this group) here, because many really don't like english and stuff related to it.

But no other language would compete with them for the easiest foreign language to learn in Brazil.

I also think English is the easiest language to learn. Just make a comparison with italian. Even basic verbs are difficult compared to the english ones.

I also think English is the easiest language to learn. Just make a comparison with italian. Even basic verbs are difficult compared to the english ones.

Yeah, exactly.

You'll probably get this: here we usually make a comparison that sounds like ignorant people using verbs.

Eu falo
Tu falo
Ele/Ela fala
Nós falo
Vós falo
Eles falo

It's not really accurate because ignorant people prefer to use the 3rd person form as the plural universal form (and nobody uses the 2nd person in plural, it's simply nonexistant here), and this joke has to make the 3rd person differently because it's the only person in english that has a different conjugation then the others.

The hardest thing on latin languages are the verbs. I tried to learn french, and it was so hard that I quit.

I'm pretty sure the whole 'English is the hardest language to learn' is mostly something that English teachers tell their students in, like, kindergarten, (to make them feel better) and the uneducated populace just automatically assume it's right because they've either 1) never learned a language or 2) never learned a harder language.

Nidham sat at his desk, contemplating. Not many knew what went on in his mind, some say even he isn't completely sure. He thumbed through his book as he picked a cup of Ethiopian coffee up and drank some. Then, he heard a knock followed by a young man, relatively speaking.

"You said you had great news for me?" The man asked inquisitively.

"Yes, Ulema Ayzur, I do have splendid news. I have been tasking spies and masters of chaos to infiltrate Ethiopian lands. We have gone on a campaign of disorder, bringing as much bad attention to the Malik as possible. As of late, we have managed to get a centrally funded mission to get the Malik to change how he will rule his people. This occurred only last week. One day ago I got word from Misr that the Malik has fled his kingdom. He has been forced out as the region envelopes itself into chaos. The Malik has sought help from Misr and the rest of us, and this is where you come in." Ayzur soaked it all in as he stood there, befuddled at what had just happened. He sat down and rested his head on his arms, trying to comprehend this.

"I must speak to the Malik! He is my father! I need to see him as soon as possible!" Ayzur shot up, not thinking about anything but going to see him, but Nidham yelled out to him. Ayzur was born as the youngest of seven children to the Ethiopian royal family. He saw no opportunity living there, so he tied himself to Arabia by marrying the daughter of a powerful Arab sheikh. From there he climbed up the political ladder into becoming an Arab Ulema.

"You cannot go! We have much to talk about right now. I promise you that your father is alright, he will be okay, I promise." Ayzur stopped and looked back, he slowly meandered back and sat down in the chair again, filled with anxiety. "Thank you. Now, the situation in Ethiopia is dire at present. The region has been split into three warring factions, each controlled entirely differently. After your whole family was exiled from Aksum, the land went into utter chaos. Death and pillaging was rampant, and the streets were not safe at night or day. The lands in Aksum have been loosely put under weak control as the Kingdom of Aksum. They hold no real power. To the South is the land around Gondokoro, they hold even less order. There are only warlords each fighting for dominance over the other. Between the two barbaric lands, is a more orderly place. They call themselves the Independency of Moqudishu, and control just about everything else of Ethiopia. They have declared war on the Caliphate and we must end them." Ayzur nodded to this as he went on to explain how his hereditary link puts him in an interesting place. Not only would he be a Counselor, but also the Malik by rule because current Ethiopian understood code dictates that in time of distress, the strongest son is the leader, from squabbling families to civil war. In due time, Ayzur stood up and tanked Nidham. He left knowing what must be done, he needs to save Ethiopia, he needs tor restore order for the Ummah.

Ayzur travelled for many days from Makkah to Egypt by land, as the sea was considered dangerous on account of Ethiopian pirates. His caravan traveled on, with military protection at the front, sides, and back to ensure Ayzur's safety. They pushed through countless dust storms, long dry spells, and a bandit attack that almost took Ayzur's life. He rode down into Abu-Simbel to regroup for the next step of the travel. At daybreak they were at it for another few days as they moved slowly to the city of Aksum. Signs of Arabic military action was obvious as there was little chaos in this general area. As the men neared the city, they noticed Arabs everywhere, armed to the teeth. They inspected caravans, guided them through a militant zone where any slightly illegal action was a high crime on account of the temporary military rule. Ayzur stepped off his camel and handed the soldiers a letter from the Caliph himself. They bowed slightly in honor and passed him and his guard through. They moved towards the palace, what would become the administration center. He had, in his caravan, a special item for the administration center.

"Thank you much," Ayzur thanked his guardsmen as they helped him off the camel. They followed him into the main hall, where he would be doing most of his work, "I swear to Allah, I will make this land be known as one of the best Provinces in all of the land." Over the next two hours Ayzur had men install the items he would need to rule. He walked up the throne and sat down on it, enjoying the comfort. He remembered his dad sitting on it when he was but a child. His eyes welled up with tears but he quickly whisked them away. He sat on the throne as a crowd of Ethiopians gathered around, noticing that this wasn't an Arab but a native. None less than their prince, now king. The banners dropped as the people shouted out to their Malik/Counselor.

"Do you want to go by Malik, sir?" A man asked him inquisitively.

"No, I live and work for our Caliph, I and all after me shall go by Abyssinia, Malik shall be a secondary title." The crowd now began to get restless, but in a good way. Then, they broke out into cheers as the special items were now displayed. Large banners were unfurled from around the hall, and the crowd hollered in excitement as Abyssinia waved back, never again would Ethiopia be the runt of the litter.

Spoiler :

SouthernKing has accepted to become an Ulema and resigned the position of Wazir al-Kharijiyah. Kharijiyah was a poor position where he had almost nothing to do because it was hard to give foreign policies in a 20-turn term game with so many possibilities at hand. So Kharijiyah's data will be merged with the Caliph's on the graphs and tables, and the role is dismissed.

Also to the readers of this story, I ask your attention to this and I hope I may convince you of joining us. The Caliphate is in need of more counselors. But not provincial counselors, which have many tasks. We need Ulemas.

- Ulemas, as any other counselor, have the right to vote on any topic open to a voting in the Majlis ash-Shura (the Council of the Caliphate). Normal examples are civic changes and technology choosing. Changes in our structure are oftenly solved in votings too.

- Besides that the Ulema also act as a collegiate to solve disputes between Counselors (they should bring the dispute to the Ulema so they may act) or to veto a policy in the Council (policies are done on each Council by each Counselor that isn't an Ulema). Councils happen every 20 gameturns.

E.g.: Imagine me (Dar Misr) start an argument with CK (Dar al-Abyssinia) about our borders in Africa. Both of us want to control a Village between our provinces. Then without a resolution, one of us asks the Ulema to solve the dispute.
E.g.2: Imagine Knoedel (Dar ash-Sham) thinks it's unnecessary to keep a garrison in Crete (Rabd al-Handaq) and in his policies he leaves the city undefended. Then any of the Ulema may propose to the rest of the Ulemas to veto this policy from Sham because it's too risky.

So these are the only duties of an Ulema on the Caliphate. If anyone eventually finds the game funny and wants to participate as a Provincial Counselor or another role, it's always possible to change roles (if the wanted ones are available).

So it would be great if some of you could join us now. With Sanguiv's retirement the Caliphate is in need of new Counselors. We are counting on you.

Nothing related to the above, just our flags crossed because I felt like doing this:

During this time, the Arabs traded with nations across the world.
Spoiler :

The negotiators who traded the knowledge of the Arabic language so that their good friend Mataram could read the Quran found it odd that his hands during the entire meeting were held up and balled in a fist, as if he wanted to hit the Arab delegation. They assumed some odd mannerism of Mataram culture.

Spoiler :

The Muslims traded the knowledge of one God for some gold, hoping that it would bring the heathen Mongols closer to Allah. Judging by the expression on the Khan's face, they were hoping they had succeeded. Or the Khan could be enjoying the effects of some of the strange plants that grew around the Mongolian empire. Also borders were opened, though during this deal the Khan puckered up his lips as if he was expecting someone to kiss him. The Muslim delegates ignored this strange behavior.

Spoiler :

The Muslims also opened borders with the Vikings. There were no strange behaviors on the part of the Vikings this time, though it was unnerving to negotiate with someone in chain mail. Also the way the helmets made it seem as if Ragnar was raising his eyebrows made the head of the Muslim negotiators uncomfortable.

Spoiler :

The Muslims trade monotheism to the Incas for a little gold and their maps. Huayna Capac introduces chest beating and head nodding into Muslim culture as an expression of coolness. Old fashioned conservative Muslims are shocked at the spectacle and decry the folly of youth.

Spoiler :

The deal with Mataram of spice and gold for marble is ended, with the Sultan looking suspiciously at the Muslim delegates, as if they are trying to cheat him. The Muslims know better than to return his rudeness.

Spoiler :

After being so rude to the Muslims the Sultan offers a new deal with a cocky arrogant face, spice, sugar and gold for horse.

Spoiler :

Open borders is established with the kingdom of England. The delegation wonders what is with European rulers and their obsession with silly uncomfortable hats. He also sports a truly impressive beard. The delegates dub him لحية (Beard). Gold for clams are traded between the two nations.

Spoiler :

The Islamic empire trades its only source of cows for gold to keep the empire afloat. The Emir of Cordoba has a suspicious look on his face as the trade is being conducted. The Muslims decide not to inquire or even speculate on why, though the strange smell on his breathe may be a clue. The Emir refuses to part with his gold at the Muslims request stating that his government needs it to carry out some grand building projects.

Spoiler :

Sheep are traded to the Mughal empire for a price. For some reason the Mughal emperor's skin resembles the pasty bread of Europeans rather than the regular coffee color of mot of his subjects, odd. There is nearly an incident when the translator mistranslated the reason the Mughal emperor wanted the sheep. Luckily it was cleared up that the emperor did not want these animals for his harem.

Spoiler :

The Holy Roman Emperor trades a large sum of gold gems after cancelling a wheat deal.

Quickly, the Arabs were establishing a trade network spanning the majority of the known world.

The first update:)

And we are off to a glorious start! Great job jackel! :thumbsup:

Great job Nidham! Let me just make one addendun and one correction:

On the HRE deals they are actually stopping the trade of wheat for gold, so I convinced them to accept giving even more gold for Gems;

On the 'Only resource' trade we are doing both with the Cow and the Gems, we are actually gifting the only resources of each type that are found on our territory, but these are two recent acquirements, and we already got each of these resources from other nations in trade. But as we can't trade what is being traded to us, it seems we only have 1 cow and 1 gems, but in fact we had 2 of each. This is the second level of the network of dependency, trading the only thing you have of some resources and then acquiring these same resources with another civ that's willing to trade them and wasn't before because you already had the resources (we just inversed the order here, but the tactic is the same). I plan on expanding this tactic on this next term.

So simply put: We got in Ethiopia a source Gems and one of Cows, resources that we got in old trades already, and then we decided to trade these resources with other nations for other stuff. I remember that our Gems come from the Tamils, but right now I can't remember who gives us Cows.

Spoiler :

The plague strikes Cordoba. To many Cordobans, it seems as if their world shattered. One doctor describes the victims as such:
They spend their waking hours screaming as if they were smoldering in the fiery pits of Jahannam in this very moment, then fall back to sleep exhausted. Many pray. At first they pray for relief. Then they pray for death. Finally they can pray no longer, too weak to do anything but wait for death. Physically things are little better. The patients can neither eat nor drink without emptying the contents of their stomach and their sleep is fitful and draining. Skin hardens and dies, flaking off, like the peeling of a scab from the skin. This process continues until only the red muscle underneath remains. I cannot fight this plague, merely pray that it goes away. Oh Allah, the merciful, save the suffering souls and grant them liberation from the Fire!
Spoiler :

Peasants unhappy with their lots rebel against the rule of Umma. The rebellion is put down in short order, but the city governor also decides to address the grievances of the rebels. He investigates the conditions of the slaves and peasants and is horrified to find records of brutal abuse by their rich overlords. He orders the abusers to pay reparations to the victims and many of the slaves are freed.
Spoiler :

In 1279 AD the Holy Roman Empire sets its sights on conquering Sparta. The Umma grows wary of the rapacious Holy Roman Emperor, but decide as long as he is only taking territory in Europe, a blind eye can be turned.
Spoiler :

The spy network of the Nidham Adl sees a large Keshik force outside the borders of Mongolia. Their purpose is unclear, but The Nidham Adl theorizes that due to tension between Russia and Mongolia, they are there to threaten the Russian border.
Spoiler :

The Keshiks end up settling in Afrosayib as a defensive garrison.
Spoiler :

The Mongolians do other odd things, such as move a large army across Arab land, to reach Holy Roman and Russian borders. The spymaster is certain now- there is Mongol-Russian war brewing.
Spoiler :

Meanwhile, the Khmer Empire builds the Angor Wat and Japan builds the Shwedagon Paya in 1288 AD. It seems both countries have an odd sense of timing.
Spoiler :

In 1291 AD Mongols train the largest force of knights in the world and attack Russia. Most of the Umma is shocked except for the Nudham Adl and the acting Caliph, who have put 2 and 2 together to get war.
Spoiler :

In 1294 AD, 3 years after the surprise attack on Tiraspol neither side has made much progress and the war ends with a slight Mongol victory.
Spoiler :

The French seem to be making some strange movements. Is their army lost? Is this the aftermath of the famous French retreat?
Spoiler :

In 1303 AD, the Islamic empire is declared the most powerful civilization in the world as is natural.
Spoiler :

In 1306, the Islamic clergy come up with a system to help travelers protect their assets. Travelers leave their wealth in the hands of the bank who issues them a notice of retrieval so they can retrieve the money from some other city with a bank. The system evolves until there is interest involved and lending. The acting Caliph distrusts this new system as “corruption” but decides not to fight it as it brings gold into the empire’s coffers.
Spoiler :

The strength of the fledgling Islamic navy is tested by barbarians making advances to the city of Zanzibar. The sea is soon colored red with blood of martyrs and enemy alike.

Nevermind- reserved for next update

No you got me wrong. Somewhen in the past we made a deal with another nation to get Cows, then we acquired our own Cows (so we actually had 2). Instead of cancelling the Cow deal that we already had with another nation, we decided to trade our own cow and keep the old trade, so even giving our cows away, we still have these foreign cows. The same with Gems.

From old ago the Tamils give us Gems for something (maybe a sheep, I'm not sure, it's on the past updates surely), then when the Ethiopians collapsed Zanj got a source of Gems. Then instead of cancelling the deal with the tamils to get what we traded for gems back, we kept the trade and decided to trade our own Gems with the HRE to get 6 gpt. See the trick now? The only difference here from the tactic I described before is that we didn't purposefully traded our only source of something to then get another of that with another nation, ensuring 2 trades. We already had the trades when we acquired our first samples of each resource. Then we traded them for new deals because they are rarer then what we traded to get the foreign ones in the first place. More trade deals this way.

EDIT: Wow, even though your old post was quoted when I posted it automatically updated to your edited one. :crazyeye:

Very nice :D

Spoiler :

In 1276 Ad, the Seljuk empire collapsed due to the pressure of Arab and Mongols on its borders as well as a myriad of other factors, such as incompetent rule and growing resentment towards the lavish life styles of the shahs. Other nations scramble to take advantage of this.
Spoiler :

The Muslim empire is no exception. The city of Gwadar is conquered in 1297 AD.
Excerpt from the diary of a Persian general: I tell my wife not to worry when the Arabs arrive at the gates.
"If numbers was truly all that mannered in war, then why has Persia remained unconquered throughout the ages, even when surrounded with such powerful neighbors?"
The empire may have dissolved, but I am a son of Persia and I shall either defend this great land or my blood shall mingle with it. I kiss my daughters on the forehead and send them to bed as it is late and take aside my eldest son to speak with him privately. He is young, perhaps too young to come into manhood, but he must.
"Listen my son. After the battle, if you hear news of my death, evacuate your mother and siblings. Tell them I said so."
"But I thought you said you were going to win," my son asked.
"That is part of being a man. You will understand later. But promise me, my son, that whatever happens, you will do your best to survive, and if the city is taken, flee to Persepolis and keep the flames of resistance alive. You are the future now."
"Okay father."
I watch him scurry off to bed and decide that I have nothing to worry about. Even if my son must flee with my family as a refugee, he will return home a conquering hero. I make ready to put down my pen and prepare for the battle tomorrow.

Spoiler :

In 1309 ad after the conquest of Gwadar, the HRE marches an army towards Persepolis, the final Persian stronghold remaining.

Final installment tomorrow. Stay tuned for next time. But seriously the Persian story was difficult to write. How did you guys like my account of the Persian general.

I like it. It's nice to hear the other side of the story.

How did the HRE get there so fast??? :lol:

Top Bottom