The inhumane conditions of Bradley Manning's detention

Well, he isnt being tortured regardless of what people's personal opinion of solitary confinement is.

Extended solitary confinement can drive people crazy, they're giving the guy anti-depressants? Gee, wonder why...

thats torture regardless of your personal opinion

Extended solitary confinement can drive people crazy, they're giving the guy anti-depressants? Gee, wonder why...

thats torture regardless of your personal opinion

They have medics on hand to make sure nothing happens, as I've said. I can personally vouch for the safety of the procedure having experienced the business to Her Majesty's usual standard myself - for training purposes, I hasten to add!

how do medics prevent someone from going crazy after months or years of solitary confinement?

Has he been in there years? Anyone know precisely how long he has been in pre-trial confinement?

You guys do understand he gets both personal visits with family as well as visits with his attorney's quite often, right? I believe that's mentioned in both articles actually.

The simple fact is, as the article Moboss provided proves, the OP article was a complete pile of lies. Nothing in it has proved correct and its characterizations should be recognized as nothing but embellishment to get the target audience spun up. You have been manipulated, end of story.

Lots and lots of anti-depressants.

That's part of it. What the British do is they change the conditions of someone's detention if it's obviously causing them harm - we're keeping them out of trouble or convincing them to tell us something, not trying to drive them insane (at which point they probably wouldn't be able to tell us the important information anyway)

I came away with a lot of respect for the Intelligence Corps people who are responsible for taking care of prisoners of war. They're hugely skilled both in getting their information but also in taking just enough care of their charges, and you'd have to go a very long way to find people with more self-discipline and professionalism in difficult situations.

You guys do understand he gets both personal visits with family as well as visits with his attorney's quite often, right? I believe that's mentioned in both articles actually.

The simple fact is, as the article Moboss provided proves, the OP article was a complete pile of lies. Nothing in it has proved correct and its characterizations should be recognized as nothing but embellishment to get the target audience spun up. You have been manipulated, end of story.

Normally it takes about three years average and that is with no human contact. The Soviets used it a lot and insanity is a general result or suicide. Which ironicly is what the Soviet system no doubt is designed to do without the use of physical torture.

NOTE: for Mobby and Patroklos the size of the cell also matters too and amount of sunlight. IIRC soviet cells are tiny and with very very little sky access

7 months total confinement with 1 hour access to TV seems ok to me.

I just dont understand why SaudiArabia funding Alqeda is "top secret" information ???
Hell Dick Cheney outted an undercover CIA agent and shot someone in the face with a shotgun.

:rolleyes:

Because its authorized under the MCM. Apparently these are the same facilities for everyone in pre-trial confinement at that base. Thats the nature of pre-trial confinement as opposed to pre-trial restraint, and is largely dictated by the seriousness of the offense, not whether it was violent or non-violent in nature. Pre-trial confinement also has a mandatory review process in order to determine its validity after the first 7 days of confinement.

The MCM is also very clear in that pre-trial confinement is not punishment, and the accused gets credit for time served during this process.

That's not a purpose. A purpose would be something along the lines of "well, he's too dangerous to be around other prisoners".

That's not a purpose. A purpose would be something along the lines of "well, he's too dangerous to be around other prisoners".

The purpose here is 'other military prisoners will probably be violent towards him, and he needs to be kept somewhere that he can be observed more closely to ensure he does not commit suicide'

So, yes it is a one-liner out of a court opinion like Pat said.

Ok, I withdraw my comments regarding US supreme court. BTW who's opinion was it then?

Also does anyone have a reliable source on the article MobBoss provided? I only seem to find Salon.com, which doesn't really say anything to me. Also I don't know if I should be relieved or worried if all the detainees do actually receive this kind of treatment.

BTW is someone here arguing that prolonged solitary confinement cannot cause long-lasting, if not permanent mental health problems?

E: Flying Pig, did Manning say he wants to be on solitary confinement or is he being protected against his will?

Dont forget he gets to watch TV too.

The purpose here is 'other military prisoners will probably be violent towards him, and he needs to be kept somewhere that he can be observed more closely to ensure he does not commit suicide'

And to not let him flee...

And to not let him flee...
How insecure are military prisons in regards to maintaining the ongoing incarceration of the general population (non-solitary confinement)? Are successful escapes common? If so, this is yet another area the government should cede to the free market for a solution.

It's disturbing that America is torturing one of it's own citizens...

Top Bottom