[RD] The Israel/Palestine Quarantine Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firing thousands of rockets, suicide bombings and unrestrained state backed terrorism is an act of war
That would of course mean Gaza is a state, and a state at war at that, and make Palestinian resistance to siege and occupation the legitimate actions of a belligerent power.

Last edited:
none of this justifies dropping bombs on the kids... you can post this stuff all day and it changes nothing; it's been taken for granted for so long anyways. Do you feel this validates Israel's actions? Do you think blowing away hundreds of people to kill a few militants is ok?

No more justified then Hamas using kids as human shields
(The situation is completed F-up)

That would of course Gaza a state, and a state at war at that, and make Palestinian resistance to siege and occupation the legitimate actions of a belligerent power.

If we are talking about Legitimate actions such as Rocket firing indiscriminately ? or we going to extend this to civilian hostage taking, suicide bombing against purely civilian targets, using Children as Human shields, and so forth
Cause Israel would also like to Bomb indiscriminately

Then there is the other side that is blockading Gaza that no one like to mention, Though even if Isreal blockade is at the same level as Egypt the underlaying causes are different

That would of course mean Gaza is a state, and a state at war at that, and make Palestinian resistance to siege and occupation the legitimate actions of a belligerent power.
I believe as per the Oslo accords, Gaza is supposed to be part of the Palestinian Authority. The recognized PA does not control Gaza, so I believe it is de jure a Palestinian territory in rebellion.

I believe as per the Oslo accords, Gaza is supposed to be part of the Palestinian Authority. The recognized PA does not control Gaza, so I believe it is de jure a Palestinian territory in rebellion.
Israel unilaterally disengaged from the Gaza Strip in 2005. The UN and a number of human rights organizations continue to consider Israel as the occupying power of the Gaza Strip due to its blockade of the territory;[12][13][14][15][16] Israel rejects this characterization.[17] On 24 September 2021, in a speech before the UN General Assembly, the President of the PNA, Mahmoud Abbas, gave Israel a one-year ultimatum to end its military occupation over the Palestinian territories, stating that its failure to do so would lead to the withdrawal of Palestine's 1993 "recognition of Israel based on the 1967 borders" (under the Oslo I Accord) and the bringing of the matter to the ICJ. In his speech, Abbas referred to Israeli policy as amounting to "apartheid" and involving "ethnic cleansing".[18][19]
(the WaPo link doesn't work anymore, and their articles tend to be paywalled anyway, so you get the PDF version)

Additionally, I feel like with all these technicalities over the territories being mentioned here, we should mention that the occupation of East Jerusalem by Israel is still technically-illegal, and a matter of some debate despite how long it's been allowed to continue for? What does that mean for Israeli statehood and sovereignty? Why is it only Gaza that we're discussing here?

Including you. Have you asked anyone, by the way? Or do they only exist as a convenient gotcha to throw at folks in an unrelated thread?

I do. I ask all the time. I bring this up not to throw a convenient 'gotcha' in an unrelated thread, which it is related by the way because we're talking genocide, but to show that terrible things are happening all over and we need to talk about all of them instead of isolating topics. The people are innocent, it's the governments that need to be held accountable for what happens. It's the governments that teach hate, or at least put the ideas of hate out there, not the people.

Imagine coming into the Israel/Palestine Quarantine Thread to tell people they're hypocrites for not talking about every other conflict and injustice under the sun, especially when we've received mod notes warning posters away from "comparisons".

Oh and btw I posted this over a month ago:

Because we all need to talk about every injustice being done. By singling out one party the problem may go away in that one case but what about the rest of the world? Awareness is key.

ethinically cleansing Gazze 100% will decrease the borders Israelis must hold and will add Egyptian Military to the mix . This is not approval .

and the guy is Armenian . What's he supposed to do ? Not complain or anything ?

Thank you!

I do. I ask all the time. I bring this up not to throw a convenient 'gotcha' in an unrelated thread, which it is related by the way because we're talking genocide, but to show that terrible things are happening all over and we need to talk about all of them instead of isolating topics. The people are innocent, it's the governments that need to be held accountable for what happens. It's the governments that teach hate, or at least put the ideas of hate out there, not the people.
You haven't asked me. You evidently didn't as Lexi. Who did you ask, exactly? Where did you ask them? What other threads devoted to these other international incidents do we have other than the General Politics thread?

Can you evidence your claims about other posters in the slightest? Because this is why I say they're gotchas :)

"would also like to"?
I think you mean "already are, with no real consequences and barely any pushback".

Gaza would be without power, communications, in the first 2 hrs of unrestrained bombing then dismantling of all industrial capability, and move onto less important targets
I dont think Israel would go full Russian (leveling buildings completely with artillery and then making small advances over the ruins)

Because we all need to talk about every injustice being done. By singling out one party the problem may go away in that one case but what about the rest of the world? Awareness is key.

Requiring that everyone talk about every single injustice every time they talk about any injustice will have the opposite effect, ensuring that no one can actually talk about anything.

I dont think Israel would go full Russian (leveling buildings completely with artillery and then making small advances over the ruins)

This is already basically what's happening, minus the "small advance" part.

But you know, I guess this time it's different because something something Hamas terrorists

Israel’s Fight With Iran Proxies in Syria Poisons Russia Ties​

Since it went to war with Hamas early last month, Israel has stepped up strikes against Iran-backed militias in Syria which have moved close to the Israeli border.
The development comes with a key shift in Israeli policy — it no longer always warns Syria’s patron Russia in advance of attacks on Syrian territory.
The change, reported by people familiar with the situation, along with the stepped-up assaults, is worsening already troubled relations between Israel and Russia.

There’s a danger, moreover, of Syria emerging as a new front in the Israel-Hamas war, a situation the US and regional allies are trying to avoid as they seek to contain the conflict. Tensions are already high on Israel’s border with Lebanon, Hezbollah’s base and from where it’s exchanging fire with the Israeli military on a daily basis.

“Spillover into Syria is not just a risk; it has already begun,” Geir Pedersen, the United Nations special envoy for the country, said this week. “Fuel is being added to a tinderbox that was already beginning to ignite.”

Well, considering Wagner's leader disappeared shortly after saying the quiet part of loud, that the ongoing attacks used as causus belli, were a lie... insofar that a causus belli matters at all, it may very well be different. But that's a question of why.

It's even messier. As part of the settlement leading up to the elections, that Hamas won in Gaza, Hamas made a lot of tidying up of its profile, including all manner of declarations of policy in accordance with the principles of democracy etc – all designed to make Hamas sufficiently palatable, "normalized" etc. to get to run in these elections. And of course it then turned out Hamas was just be engaged in some very opportunistic lying.

So it's not a simple matter of Gaza supposedly rightly being under jursidiction of the PA, since the PA is only one possible expression of the Palestinian democracy that was supposed to be the outcome of a process (that is now pretty much stillborn, and the PA is not very democratic either, never mind how bonkers Hamas is). Hamas is a grass-roots organisation, numerous and popular enough that it simply could not be sidelined and completely shut-out of the election process back in the day. Doing so would have de-legimtimized the elections with large parts of the Palestinian public before they even happened. Especially since Hamas was playing nice, and making all the right noises and moves at the time.
(There were obviously misgivings about their sincerity, but only hindsight is 20/20, and it is possible at least part of the Hamas leadership thought there would now be a Palestinian state, peace and democracy, and so Hamas needed to actually change in accordance. There was internal conflict over it. So everyone with misgivings sort of still had to hope the crazies would not win that one, and maybe things could have come right in the end. And then it all went to crap.)

Besides, while the PA (PLO, Fatah, but not Hamas) has recognized Israel, it is not at all as clear that Israel has recognized the right of any kind of Palestinian state. According to that line of reasoning, all Israel has so far done is recognize the PA as a legitimate representative of the Palestinian side, someone it might actually talk to. (Which is a kind of progress, if the alternative might be denial the Palestinians even exist.)

the reasons the other thing is not being discussed in the media are quite relevant . The colour revolution election president pushes things , starts crisis to show Russia is powerless . Kinda sorta the case ; Russia does not intervene , Russian client state defeated ... This is for protection of "Democracy"

azeris with support of Israel , creating new options for bringing Democracy to Iran . That's why the US Right Wing avoids it ; Israel can do no wrong .

that nobody touches it in CFC with a ten foot pole ? It's the second country the Bidon Administration has lost ... after Afghanistan .

qualifications: Not accepting it as a state or country , not even Erivan did that . And no G word with the people leaving , which is Russia's fault , for whatever result

that is now pretty much stillborn, and the PA is not very democratic either, never mind how bonkers Hamas is

I think we should be clear that the reason for this is that the PA has been totally discredited by its "security cooperation" with Israel, and that in turn is due to the fact that the PLO recognized Israel and got essentially nothing in return, not even a cession of the settler encroachments. The degree to which this has completely discredited any Palestinian formation willing to work with Israel on any basis other than armed struggle is difficult to overstate. It is the mirror image of Hamas' bombing campaignin the 2000s discrediting the Israeli left, such as it was.

Besides, while the PA (PLO, Fatah, but not Hamas) has recognized Israel, it is not at all as clear that Israel has recognized the right of any kind of Palestinian state. According to that line of reasoning, all Israel has so far done is recognize the PA as a legitimate representative of the Palestinian side, someone it might actually talk to. (Which is a kind of progress, if the alternative might be denial the Palestinians even exist.)

Well no, trivially, since I don’t support the actions of the Sri Lankan army regardless of what you call those actions.
So you admit it.
Dude, literally that is what is happening.

I don’t know what “it” you’re referring to, other than the thing you’re quoting me as explicitly saying I don’t support.
It’s possible to support things implicitly such as by not acknowledging war crimes as crimes.

I think we should be clear that the reason for this is that the PA has been totally discredited by its "security cooperation" with Israel, and that in turn is due to the fact that the PLO recognized Israel and got essentially nothing in return, not even a cession of the settler encroachments. The degree to which this has completely discredited any Palestinian formation willing to work with Israel on any basis other than armed struggle is difficult to overstate. It is the mirror image of Hamas' bombing campaignin the 2000s discrediting the Israeli left, such as it was.

West Bank is doing better then Gaza
Its not good the expansion of settlements but way back there was the idea of a settlement / land swap with Gaza before the entire deal collapsed, in the end Israel simply gave up its settlements in Gaza, along with its developed agriculture intact.
A land swap wasnt a bad solution but there was too much opposition to such a peace settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom