[RD] The Israel/Palestine Quarantine Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The key point here is that many fled the 1948 war and now have Israelis living in their houses, where they tell wide-eyed teenagers from the US there on Birthright tours that the Palestinians left voluntarily.
Fun fact, for anyone wondering. This is literally how they describe the Nakba to tourists. The Palestinians just went away.

Nobody gave a damn about Azerbaijans' ethnic cleansing of the Armenians from Nagorno Kharabagh last month.

I'm afraid not giving a damn there started in Yerevan. Much talk but no doing. It was as if N-K was a thorn on their side, that might as well "go away"?
That and even before reneguing on N-K (reaffirming it as part of Azarbaijan) Armenia spent years letting a goos strategic situation degrate to near-hopeless. Perhaps it was on purpose?

People will care more about what happens in Palestine not just because of the religions aspect (Jerusalem matters for many, many people) but also because an ethnic cleasing there has consequences that go well beyond the country involved.
It sucks that morality does not carry the day, agreed. But consequences should. In a rationally government world...

Does the Sinai have any suitable places for living? Maybe near Arish. It has 200,000 people and beaches. I'm not sure where a million more would go.

Afaik Gaza has useful land, though is carrying capacity is overrun with two million people, the hinterland in the strip must by now be incapable of feeding all those. The Sinai... it's a desert. Home of bedouins who do not like the goverment of Egypt that much. And will not like it all all if gazans are dumped there. Egypt cannot allow it. Not even "temporarily" because everyone knows it wouldn't be temporary.

Israel has a desert with plenty of space next to Gaz. If it needs to house the palestinians temporarily to take over Gaza and then rebuild it managed now as part of Israel, it can do so. If it doesn't do so it's because the plan is ethnic cleansing. It is a crazy plan that will lead to a much greated disaster than anything that happened in the living past in the Middle East.

Last edited:
Afaik Gaza has useful land, though is cwrrying capacity is overrun with two million people, the hinterland in the strip must by now be incapable of feeding all those. The Sinai... it's a desert. Home of bedouins who do not like the goverment of Egypt that much. And will not like it all all if gazans are dumped thenre. Egypt cannot allow it. Not even "temporarily" because everyone knows it wouldn't be temporary.

Israel has a deser with plenty of space next to Gaza If it needs to house the palestinians temporarily to take over Gaza and then rebuild it managed now as part of Israel, it can do so. If it doesn't do so it's because the plan is ethnic cleansing. It is a crazy plan that will lead to a much greated disaster than anything that happened in the living past in the Middle East.

The other thing in the Sinai that is not good to throw 2 million Palestinian refugees into is Al Qaeda in the Sinai Peninsula.

Note:2014-2015
Seems like History repeats itself, this places israel in a bind as to strike back at rocket launch sites located at schools and hospitals
Dosnt seem to be a way to stop launches and attacks and Israel is simply striking back and handing Hamas its information victory again.
The attack and response seem to be now set. A tragic cycle

Note:2014-2015
Seems like History repeats itself, this places israel in a bind as to strike back at rocket launch sites located at schools and hospitals
Dosnt seem to be a way to stop launches and attacks and Israel is simply striking back and handing Hamas its information victory again.
The attack and response seem to be now set. A tragic cycle

none of this justifies dropping bombs on the kids... you can post this stuff all day and it changes nothing; it's been taken for granted for so long anyways. Do you feel this validates Israel's actions? Do you think blowing away hundreds of people to kill a few militants is ok?

Sure, I'll bite - what are my views? How are they logically incoherent?

I’m afraid that I mostly read posts chronologically without paying too much attention to the author, so I’m not really aware of what your views are either way, I was commenting only on the post I replied to.

I have already used the words "monstrous" and "crime" to describe what Israel is doing, and I hold to that regardless of whether it's technically genocide or not. Anyway, CC @cardgame,

I sympathize with your attempts at precision, but “genocide” has become such a fraught term that I don’t touch it. To point again to the Sri Lankan civil war; there are allegations of genocide there by credible institutions despite, from what I see, there not having been a systematic attempt to exterminate the Sri Lankan Tamils.

I find it most practical to just not use the term “genocide”, or to engage re: usage of the word.

There are also very strong voices like Al Jazeera that are mainstream enough to counter balance the propaganda spewed by Western propaganda mouthpieces like BBC, CNN, and Fox.

Meanwhile, there are fairly mainstream allegations that the CBC (which, AFAIK, skews similar to the BBC), is biased towards Hamas:
CBC: CBC president defends broadcaster's Israel-Hamas coverage in a testy meeting with MPs
Toronto Sun: LILLEY: CBC's arguments for not calling Hamas a terror group are weak

I sympathize with your attempts at precision, but “genocide” has become such a fraught term that I don’t touch it. To point again to the Sri Lankan civil war; there are allegations of genocide there by credible institutions despite, from what I see, there not having been a systematic attempt to exterminate the Sri Lankan Tamils.

I find it most practical to just not use the term “genocide”, or to engage re: usage of the word.
Tantamount to supporting it, really.

I’m afraid that I mostly read posts chronologically without paying too much attention to the author, so I’m not really aware of what your views are either way, I was commenting only on the post I replied to.
Then why baselessly speculate on me and my views?

Well no, trivially, since I don’t support the actions of the Sri Lankan army regardless of what you call those actions.
Saying "I don't support the actions of [group that did a genocide] but I don't think they did a genocide" is definitionally genocidal denial.

Israeli Zionists making sure everyone else hates them even more; then complain 'anti Semites '.

Then why baselessly speculate on me and my views?

Your post I replied to was the base. I don't even care what the hypothetical was, or the fact that it wasn't even a hypothetical; your reaction was enough.

"I don't think they did a genocide"

I didn't say or imply anything close to that. I said that credible institutions allege genocide in the case of the Sri Lankan Tamils.

'There will be no more Palestinian workers from Gaza'​

Gazans working in Israel will be sent back to the besieged enclave, the Israeli government has announced.
“Israel is severing all contact with Gaza. There will be no more Palestinian workers from Gaza. Those workers from Gaza who were in Israel on the day of the outbreak of the war will be returned to Gaza,” a post from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office on X, formerly Twitter, read.
Israel’s security cabinet also agreed to “deduct all funds designated for the Gaza Strip… from Palestinian Authority [PA] funds”. The PA has control over areas of the occupied West Bank, but not the Hamas-run Gaza Strip.
Some 18,500 Palestinians from Gaza had received permits to enter Israel before the deadly 7 October attack by Hamas militants, according to Cogat, the Israeli defence body responsible for Palestinian civilian affairs.
Since then, Israel has launched a retaliatory bombardment of the Strip. More than 9,000 people have been killed here, according to the Hamas-run health ministry.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-middle-east-67305304

A map of the October 7th Hamas attacks has been constructed.

The red dots are of the 1400+ murdered, the black dots are the 242 kidnapped, and the 4834+ injured are not shown.

About 1 week ago, someone in Jerusalem set up a Lights For Hope installation to shine until the remaining 224 hostages are brought home.

'There will be no more Palestinian workers from Gaza'​

Gazans working in Israel will be sent back to the besieged enclave, the Israeli government has announced.
“Israel is severing all contact with Gaza. There will be no more Palestinian workers from Gaza. Those workers from Gaza who were in Israel on the day of the outbreak of the war will be returned to Gaza,” a post from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office on X, formerly Twitter, read.
Israel’s security cabinet also agreed to “deduct all funds designated for the Gaza Strip… from Palestinian Authority [PA] funds”. The PA has control over areas of the occupied West Bank, but not the Hamas-run Gaza Strip.
Some 18,500 Palestinians from Gaza had received permits to enter Israel before the deadly 7 October attack by Hamas militants, according to Cogat, the Israeli defence body responsible for Palestinian civilian affairs.
Since then, Israel has launched a retaliatory bombardment of the Strip. More than 9,000 people have been killed here, according to the Hamas-run health ministry.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-middle-east-67305304

There are baseline expectations of occupying states regarding maintaining the conditions necessary for life for populations in the areas under occupation. And Israel most definitely is the occupying state here, being the only sovereign state in authority over the non-state zones of the West Bank and Gaza.

(Alternatively, if Gaza and the West Bank are states, the IDF siege is an act of war, and acts of violent resistance to that by the besieged states are merely part of said war)

(Alternatively, if Gaza and the West Bank are just parts of Israel and subject to Israeli law rather than being occupied foreign territory or a separate state, then denying your people food, water, movement, economic livelihood, the vote, etc, are crimes against humanity anyway)

Last edited:

1699003148103.png

Link to Tweet for the auto-embed breaking.

Meanwhile, there are fairly mainstream allegations that the CBC (which, AFAIK, skews similar to the BBC), is biased towards Hamas:
CBC: CBC president defends broadcaster's Israel-Hamas coverage in a testy meeting with MPs
Toronto Sun: LILLEY: CBC's arguments for not calling Hamas a terror group are weak

I totally agree that any attempt to not call Hamas a terror group is hyporcrite. Considering other uses of the word.

But - I just think this word should be dropped out of global use.

It no longer means anything other than bad, enemy or evil.
Search for every title or text in any language, including the word "terrorist" - and replace it with "bad" - it should work fine without altering the meaning of the sentence.

What evidence is there for it being in Khan Younis?
I don't speak Arabic, but I'm assuming the news video is fairly straightforward about it. Hind Hassan is an established, credentialed journalist, if there is misinformation being spread I'm sure it'll come to light.

(Alternatively, if Gaza and the West Bank are states, the IDF siege is an act of war, and acts of violent resistance to that by the besieged states are merely part of said war)

Firing thousands of rockets, suicide bombings and unrestrained state backed terrorism is an act of war

(Alternatively, if Gaza and the West Bank are just parts of Israel and subject to Israeli law rather than being occupied foreign territory or a separate state, then denying your people food, water, movement, economic livelihood, the vote, etc, are crimes against humanity anyway)

At one stage Gaza had on average 400K monthly passage / movement into Israel and there was NO physical border wall. there were Israel settlements and a developed agriculture inside Gaza itself
Then as they say stuff happened with the creation of the PLC and withdrawal of Israel forces and civilians from Gaza
Followed by a slow spiral down to the tragic situation we have today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom