The "OMG! Look what happened in DoC!" Thread

Yes, it's 3000BC start..
No, Constantinople is not built at all.
There was 1 Greek city 2 E of Angora, Chalkedon.
I had another one, also without Constantinople, the Greek have cities in Angora & Miletos (4E of the Peak)

Because I had seen via WB that almost every hut in the West but Africa is already taken by Greek :(
And, I was curious what is in the east :p

That means you're exploring too late.

I always send my first Warrior west, build two Warriors, send them both out and then build Worker.

That's the Hanging Gardens.

Actually, it's the Hanging Gardens and the Spiral Minaret. The Spiral M isn't visible from the screenshot, but it is there, believe me.
EDIT: I just checked the city again, and apparently the University of Sankore is in it too :crazyeye:. And the Great Cothon, in case you didn't notice it already because of the one hammer coast tiles.

Actually, it's the Hanging Gardens and the Spiral Minaret. The Spiral M isn't visible from the screenshot, but it is there, believe me.
EDIT: I just checked the city again, and apparently the University of Sankore is in it too :crazyeyes:. And the Great Cothon, in case you didn't notice it already because of the one hammer coast tiles.

With the Great Cothon they have a potential of 18 hammers. My guess is they build the GC first and just kept going....

Germany, 3000 BC start.

Europe is also looking a bit weird. Nothing unusual, but it's just a lot of not completely normal things stacked together. Viking Dublin, France controlling a vertical patch of ground in Eastern Europe, Vikings deciding they should not expand into the north of their peninsula, strange English city placement, Russian Turkey, Austrian Greece, Spanish Italy.

Where is the Portuguese capital? Lisbon is French, and Ponta Delgada sure as hell isn't it.
Is it in the New World?

Where is the Portuguese capital? Lisbon is French, and Ponta Delgada sure as hell isn't it.
Is it in the New World?

Yep, I had a Kingdom of Brazil here :D

I just discovered you can crush India on spawn (in 1500 BC). To do this, squat on the rice between Dili and Varanasi (it's in both cities' first ring) with a warrior before 2000 BC (turn 30-something). For China this means sending you 1st or 2nd warrior, or else you won't make it. Stay there for a while, don't leave too soon. Then as late as turn 52 (sooner is also OK) you can move your warrior 2E, then you'll see India's settler and a single archer. Declare war on them, the next turn Pataliputra will be founded and the archer will run away to the east. You attack and they'are dead. Positioning your warrior south of the river ensures that archer won't just attack you instead.
Spoiler :

I actually think India is a very good trading partner and not a threat so maybe it's not too profitable to do this. But who knows.

India has a strange flip zone by the way.

And also you can squat any city you want, just send something into the 1st ring of that city before it spawns, and stay there for a while.

Something not quite related.

That means you're exploring too late.

I always send my first Warrior west, build two Warriors, send them both out and then build Worker.

Yeah. I know :)
I was trying to resemble China's isolationism but I changed my mind in the process...

Some more Aqueducts

And if you all looks closely,
the workers is nailing planks right on the deer's tail :crazyeye:

I just discovered you can crush India on spawn (in 1500 BC). To do this, squat on the rice between Dili and Varanasi (it's in both cities' first ring) with a warrior before 2000 BC (turn 30-something). For China this means sending you 1st or 2nd warrior, or else you won't make it. Stay there for a while, don't leave too soon. Then as late as turn 52 (sooner is also OK) you can move your warrior 2E, then you'll see India's settler and a single archer. Declare war on them, the next turn Pataliputra will be founded and the archer will run away to the east. You attack and they'are dead. Positioning your warrior south of the river ensures that archer won't just attack you instead.
Spoiler :

I actually think India is a very good trading partner and not a threat so maybe it's not too profitable to do this. But who knows.

India has a strange flip zone by the way.

And also you can squat any city you want, just send something into the 1st ring of that city before it spawns, and stay there for a while.

Something not quite related.
I just tried that on my china game and it does in fact work. I wonder if Rhye should fix it or not, and also what makes the ai do that? The Portuguese and a couple of other civs do the same thing.

It works, but it's not very useful. India is a good trading partner.

I haven't played China lately, but with the buff to the the Indian lands, and the abundance of resources, doesn't it start to become a viable strategy to actually take and hold an Indian city? Also given that you know just get a stability penalty for the first 32 tiles, enabling you to grab numerous resources with just one city there, for a relatively small stab hit?

Actually, I had been experimenting with rushing India (as China)
and I was not too impressed with the results.

Barbarian War Elephants appear before the most reasonable date the Great Wall can go up.

It's too costly to defend as well.
It's much harder to rush India in vanilla RFC but it's much easier to hold it.

You're better off leaving India alive for trading.

Also given that you know just get a stability penalty for the first 32 tiles, enabling you to grab numerous resources with just one city there, for a relatively small stab hit?
That's already not true anymore. Third ring and further tiles count again, but they have their own threshold now. This threshold is quite generous, but is reduced for every city you hold on ahistorical tiles.

The intent behind that is that the special rules for third ring and further tiles are meant to protect historical cities from stability penalties, not cities on ahistorical tiles.

Are these changes in stability.py? I mean where can I find the details?

Yes, search for "iMaxPlotsAbroad" in Stability.py.

From a test game as England, for a future IAAR I plan to run with this mod, I decided to look in WB and see what happened. (3K BC start)

Not really OMG, but I found this rather amusing.
Spoiler :

The race is on!

Spoiler :

Not sure how common this is, but Constantinople just wasn't founded for whatever reason, and that is an odd looking area where the ERE is supposed to be. (Mind you, it isn't even 700 AD yet)

what race?

Top Bottom