1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The "OMG! Look what happened in DoC!" Thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Oct 5, 2011.

1. OrcWarrior

OrcWarrior Chieftain

It's always like that for me too, why does the AI love Western China/Transoxania much :confused: ? It's not like it has that much to offer but a maintenance cost and stability penalty, not to mention that cities with no or few buildings give lower stability

2. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

Because that's where the Mongols settle their cities and usually they don't last very long, resulting in a 'pool' of independents which outlives the other independents by a great degree (unless someone else collapses too, of course).

3. Daedwartin

Daedwartin Emperor

Western china makes sense to me, if the AI is Japan, or a western colonial power. Historically The UK, France, Germany, Russia, and Japan at one time or another expanded or created zones of influence in china...with Japan trying to conquer almost all of it. Even America had interests in the area, as the USA sent troops to put down the boxer rebellion. The USA was more conservative in this regard. Civil wars that devastate half your economy tend to do delay enter into certain actions. Poor Spain. Losing your entire colonial empire against the weakest great power...without winning one battle.

4. Stazro

Stazro Prince

I haven't thought of taking a screenshot, but I wanted to share a frustrating thing that happened to me past weekend.

I was in my second try for UHV in a Monarch Marathon game with Russia (in 1.9) - the first one didn't work out so well, but I knew better now and did quite well. It was - I believe - 1832 and I was one turn away from discovering Railroad, which would give me a very comfortable timeframe to build the transsiberian (till 1910 is a long time in Marathon). I was one of about three tech leaders, but with the best shot to be the first to reach the wonders Russia needs for victory. To top it all off, I was all around well liked, with only few exceptions. So, back to 1832. I hit return in anticipation of the discovery, when ... Mexico wins a historical victory. :eek:

Some years ago I had noticed that they had 2/3. The missing third condition had to be "reach industrial era before 1860", but they were a particularly backwards civ, not sure in which era, but I think barely renaissance. I took a look at my tech tree and thought: "Nah, that's impossible!" But it wasn't. :( "I'm safe!" But I wasn't. :sad: Somehow they managed to trade, steel, beg or whatever along the shortest path to Steel. If I didn't know better, I'd say playing that target-oriented had to be a human.

5. Tomorrow's Dawn

Tomorrow's Dawn Heroes Never Die

That doesn't make sense at all.
    You understand that Western China is Xinjiang (desert) and Tibet (high-altitude plateau) right?
    Not the rich eastern seaboard. Perhaps you are confusing your cardinal directions here.

The colonial spheres of influence were mostly situated either along the coastal regions (Germany, Japan), or bordering their own territory (France, UK, Russia)
    The only Western Chinese region that fell under a sphere of influence at all was Tibet (UK). Xinjiang was untouched by foreign powers.
    Even then, the spheres of influence are kind of difficult to define.
    I really don't think it justifies a few specific stability zones for a few civs (France & Germany) as some of the maps would suggest.

6. Daedwartin

Daedwartin Emperor

your right, i did confuse directions. Japan is therefor still justifed though. they would have continued into tibet if they finished off Nationalist China...
    Also, when Japan decided to get interested in China, they did annex Korea (which is at the least i attempt to do as them always, and turned Manchuria into a vassal state, and Korea started like this when Japan took them over anyways., so the Japanese Sphere was bordering their own territory)

7. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

AI Japan rarely goes for Chinese Turkestan and Tibet, though! In fact, it rarely goes for anything these days - a negative consequence of introducing Korea (even though I actually like Korea in RFC and think that it adds more good then bad).

8. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Has it ever really?

9. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Well, in original RFC, Japan often settled Korea, which enabled it to occasionally profit from Chinese collapse. Also, it sometimes settled parts of Philippines and Indonesia.

10. Tomorrow's Dawn

There is much to be refuted here.
    Considering that the RoC was still in the fight for seven to eight years, compared to how quickly France or Poland went down during WWII and that Japanese progress was practically limited to the seaboard, I don't know how you came to that conclusion.
    While the RoC wasn't winning many major battles until the late phases of the war, it was the sole reason why Japan could never bring its full force to bear against colonial possessions everywhere else in Asia. Fighting for almost an entire decade and denying ground to the Japanese. Put that into perspective.

Aside from Japan likely never having expressed interest in Tibet during that period,
    even if they were able to completely overwhelm the RoC, they would have needed to fight against Mao's forces, who were building up strength in Yan'an and against Muslim Hui forces, nominally loyal to the RoC.

11. Solzhenitsyn

Solzhenitsyn Warlord

No pictures, you can get the idea...

The year is 1380, I'm Japan, and all of sudden I see "The Aztec Civilization is destroyed". Followed by "The Incan Civilization is destroyed."
    I look with World builder, and Independents spawned the Conquerer event... :mad:

12. mykeedee

mykeedee Warlord

Japanese conquerors
    Spoiler :

13. Moshe Dayan

Moshe Dayan Da General

I'm surprised Rhye didn't give those cities more Japaneesy names for if Japan got the conquerors event :p

Anyway, it looks like I'm gonna have to work for that last incense:

14. mykeedee

mykeedee Warlord

Portuguese Italy
    Spoiler :

15. SeekTruthFromFacts

SeekTruthFromFacts King

There's a historical precedent for for minor civs in western China. Leopold of Belgium decided he wanted to get in on the spheres of influence action in China, and chose.... Gansu!

(The corridor between Mongolia, Tibet & Xinjiang, basically).

He realized he wasn't going to get the best bits, and that was what was left. So Belgian engineers ended up constructing railways in obscure bits of central China in an attempt to curry favour with the Qing....

Also, the Russians were very interested in having XJ as a sphere of influence (as late as the Ili rebellion).

16. Power_of_Beer

Power_of_Beer Prince

Spoiler :
    Mbemba, I would LOVE to have some of your outstanding marsh! (It happens when they settle a city on a marsh tile)

Spoiler :
    What the... how can this even happen?

Spoiler :
    Nice army you got there, Barbarian Leader. Now, go and attack something?

Attached Files:

17. Tomorrow's Dawn

That...sounds more like a service performed for the Qing rather than something they did to cement their own control...

18. youtien

youtien Lyricist

Got my Inca conquerors as Thai, units appeared on the same tile with some Incan units, next turn, my army got bounced off to this island. Magic!

19. Civciv5

Civciv5 Grand Emperor

Maybe they wanted to take a holiday to Hawaii?

20. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

Soon after the discovery of Optics, Quantum Teleportation was discovered by Thailand.