The Ultimate Map Thread

Why do it on such a bleugh map? All those 1 pixel islands along the coast.. and no black borders?

Spoiler Upcoming NES! :

I'm iffy about how the sea currently looks.

Yes! Damn you, real life, and your propensity for small islands!

I don't care if (having all those island) its realistic, its certainly not needed to be that accurate for NESing, and looks messy. It would be a nightmare to edit the coasts.

I don't care if (having all those island) its realistic, its certainly not needed to be that accurate for NESing, and looks messy. It would be a nightmare to edit the coasts.

lemme just go out on a limb

and say that you're incapable of using an eraser in paint

mbi he doesn't have limbs

Lassos, flood fills, and things marginally more advanced than Paint are the tools of the bourgeoisie intelligentsia.

Within the confines of one map, as a flat planar thing, only three things seem truly important: political divisions, bodies of water, and elevation. Things like climate are always better conveyed on another map. The idea is similar to the mountain indicators used on other maps, but with shaded relief instead:

Although this would increase file-size, since it requires layer-manipulation anyway theoretically maps could be given as .jpgs to compensate considering the original is not being compounded with artifacts repeatedly. Of course, the shaded relief can always be turned off with a single click as well.

Spoiler :

Much smaller and much more close to being done! I'm going for that look for a reason ;)

edit: Damn imageshack resizing.

I really like the look of it. Shame you're not doing a fresh start cradle with that map.

Spoiler :

Drawing nearer to completion. At this point I just need to add in rivers and boom!

Oceanographic data is pretty much useless and a waste of filespace unless you're running a post-2000s gametype and want to include EEZs and such.

The data's choppy to begin with and dithering really kind of kills it, in my opinion.

CZ map with a few graphical flourishes, 657 KB (no dithering 8-bit):
Spoiler :

Unmolested 3 MB 32-bit:

largest possible without imgur compressing it, 716 KB (some dithering 8-bit):
Spoiler :

pure beauty, how do you make maps with relief elevations, do you use a base map of the world, whose opacity you lower or something else. If you use a base map can you upload it and post it.

Top Bottom