1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Map Thread

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Abaddon, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Princeps

Princeps More bombs than God

Does anyone have a map of ancient mediterranean + persia?

2. Eltain

Eltain Emperor

Check the first page, there's a whole series by North King. What time specifically, and what style?

EDIT: Here's a nice group of maps, though many borders aren't exactly right, and I'm actually not sure this is the -best- source, but it's nice enough to base others off of, with a little research.

http://www.worldhistorymaps.info/maps.html

3. Princeps

Something MS paint made, very basic.

NKs are nice, but I don't want the entire world. Just a fairly large map of the region Mediterranean + Persia.

4. Northen Wolf

Northen Wolf Young Hunter

Just for you, I Did that :p

5. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Try looking in here for reference. (The maps are a little higher quality than what you're looking for.) It's my favorite historical map repository on the internet.

6. Princeps

Perhaps I should've said that the map doesn't need to have any political borders or cities. Just a sufficiently large resolution picture of the area in question.

7. Secretum

Secretum Chieftain

Sure. It doesn't belong to only one person tho... I should know.

8. Northen Wolf

Northen Wolf Young Hunter

You're impossible, you do know that?

9. Secretum

Secretum Chieftain

Yeap. You've taught me well.

10. Ninja Dude

Ninja Dude Sorry, I wasn't listening...

I would like to make a request for a non-earth map for Matt and I's new edgy and fresh NES. If this humble plea for help isn't answered, you'll all be guilty of killing a great thing in its infancy.

(Please? :p )

11. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

A "non earth map" is pretty broad and without qualification. I can have you a "water world" map by later tonight. :p

12. Haseri

Haseri Emperor

Here is a non-Earth map I made.

Con: The process is random, but slow editing is possible.
    Pro: You get a neat satellite-style map to go with it.

Just PM me the details of size, water coverage % and average tempreature, in Kelvin preferably.

13. Symphony D.

Symphony D. Deity

Thoughts On (half-scale; very rough; incomplete; segment) Photorealism: Don't.

Spoiler :

14. Milarqui

Milarqui Deity

Ripped off taillesskangaru's map for Iron and Blood, and for the potential future Evil Genius NES:
    Spoiler :

The colours in the map are for each of the agencies that are watching your moves. Quite hard to make it minimally balanced, number-wise. Any opinion is welcome.

If taillesskangaru is OK with it, I'll use it.

15. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

I want to be able to do this!!! Simply awesome.

16. North King

North King blech

I like the interior, but it doesn't sync up with the coastline. I'm curious as to how you applied the satellite imagery, though.

17. Matt0088

Matt0088 Deity

I'll take any serious or partially serious offer!! :goodjob:

Thanks for the offer! I does seem however, to be a bit, as you mentioned, random/static? Can it be made more Earth-like? :)

18. foolish icarus

foolish icarus Shipwreck

An earnest conclusion that it's not worth it or hyperbole?

In any such image how much of what we see is a result of human impact on the environment? e.g., does farmland look noticeably intrinsically different from pasture at that scale, or perhaps even one type of farmland different from another?

Is this a reasonable way to convey changing information repeatedly, or only a one-off snapshot?

19. Symphony D.

Symphony D. Deity

Reapplication of source material to a different sector, more thoroughly blended, actually half-scale:

Acquire 21600x21600 imagery. Work with a 8000x4000 map. Copy and paste relevant segments to desired landmass. Use Clone Stamp (~20%) and Healing Brush (~80%) extensively to merge the pieces and generate a more blended land form. Use the oceans as a "cookie cutter" layer on top with landmass removed to ensure coast fit. Surface features are not at "scale" relative to the new planet but no one will much care and trying to operate to scale is an exercise in frustration.

Oceans are more complicated. I'm not entirely satisfied with what I have. Lakes and rivers are another matter again.

A given continent requires perhaps 4-8 hours of work. It's fastest to build the 8000x4000 landmass layer in the 21600x21600 satellite file. The resultant total file will weigh in at over 700MB. Independent planetary file for working with the 8000x4000 layers will be 100-150MB. Saving takes upwards of 30 seconds. Performance is sluggish on a quadcore with four gigs of RAM. Rendering performance is currently unknown (simply not far enough). Utility is subjective.

The data in question is 2km/pixel resolution. Cities and land-clearings are routinely visible and must generally be edited out.

In and of itself, the latter. Attempting to directly depict land form changes on the base map is futile/exhaustive.

20. carmen510

carmen510 Deity

Does anyone have a blank "Darkest Hour" map? While the Hearts of Iron 2 map would probably fit my purposes, I kinda like the provincial borders for that map a bit more.