The Ultimate Map Thread

Check the first page, there's a whole series by North King. What time specifically, and what style?

EDIT: Here's a nice group of maps, though many borders aren't exactly right, and I'm actually not sure this is the -best- source, but it's nice enough to base others off of, with a little research.

http://www.worldhistorymaps.info/maps.html

Check the first page, there's a whole series by North King. What time specifically, and what style?

Something MS paint made, very basic.

NKs are nice, but I don't want the entire world. Just a fairly large map of the region Mediterranean + Persia.

Does anyone have a map of ancient mediterranean + persia?
Try looking in here for reference. (The maps are a little higher quality than what you're looking for.) It's my favorite historical map repository on the internet.

Perhaps I should've said that the map doesn't need to have any political borders or cities. Just a sufficiently large resolution picture of the area in question.

I would like to make a request for a non-earth map for Matt and I's new edgy and fresh NES. If this humble plea for help isn't answered, you'll all be guilty of killing a great thing in its infancy.

(Please? :p )

I would like to make a request for a non-earth map for Matt and I's new edgy and fresh NES. If this humble plea for help isn't answered, you'll all be guilty of killing a great thing in its infancy.

A "non earth map" is pretty broad and without qualification. I can have you a "water world" map by later tonight. :p

Here is a non-Earth map I made.

Con: The process is random, but slow editing is possible.
Pro: You get a neat satellite-style map to go with it.

Just PM me the details of size, water coverage % and average tempreature, in Kelvin preferably.

Thoughts On (half-scale; very rough; incomplete; segment) Photorealism: Don't.

Spoiler :

Ripped off taillesskangaru's map for Iron and Blood, and for the potential future Evil Genius NES:
Spoiler :

The colours in the map are for each of the agencies that are watching your moves. Quite hard to make it minimally balanced, number-wise. Any opinion is welcome.

If taillesskangaru is OK with it, I'll use it.

Spoiler :
I want to be able to do this!!! Simply awesome.

A "non earth map" is pretty broad and without qualification. I can have you a "water world" map by later tonight. :p

I'll take any serious or partially serious offer!! :goodjob:

Here is a non-Earth map I made.

Con: The process is random, but slow editing is possible.
Pro: You get a neat satellite-style map to go with it.

Just PM me the details of size, water coverage % and average tempreature, in Kelvin preferably.

Thanks for the offer! I does seem however, to be a bit, as you mentioned, random/static? Can it be made more Earth-like? :)

An earnest conclusion that it's not worth it or hyperbole?

In any such image how much of what we see is a result of human impact on the environment? e.g., does farmland look noticeably intrinsically different from pasture at that scale, or perhaps even one type of farmland different from another?

Is this a reasonable way to convey changing information repeatedly, or only a one-off snapshot?

Reapplication of source material to a different sector, more thoroughly blended, actually half-scale:

I'm curious as to how you applied the satellite imagery, though.
Acquire 21600x21600 imagery. Work with a 8000x4000 map. Copy and paste relevant segments to desired landmass. Use Clone Stamp (~20%) and Healing Brush (~80%) extensively to merge the pieces and generate a more blended land form. Use the oceans as a "cookie cutter" layer on top with landmass removed to ensure coast fit. Surface features are not at "scale" relative to the new planet but no one will much care and trying to operate to scale is an exercise in frustration.

Oceans are more complicated. I'm not entirely satisfied with what I have. Lakes and rivers are another matter again.

An earnest conclusion that it's not worth it or hyperbole?
A given continent requires perhaps 4-8 hours of work. It's fastest to build the 8000x4000 landmass layer in the 21600x21600 satellite file. The resultant total file will weigh in at over 700MB. Independent planetary file for working with the 8000x4000 layers will be 100-150MB. Saving takes upwards of 30 seconds. Performance is sluggish on a quadcore with four gigs of RAM. Rendering performance is currently unknown (simply not far enough). Utility is subjective.

In any such image how much of what we see is a result of human impact on the environment? e.g., does farmland look noticeably intrinsically different from pasture at that scale, or perhaps even one type of farmland different from another?
The data in question is 2km/pixel resolution. Cities and land-clearings are routinely visible and must generally be edited out.

Is this a reasonable way to convey changing information repeatedly, or only a one-off snapshot?
In and of itself, the latter. Attempting to directly depict land form changes on the base map is futile/exhaustive.

Top Bottom