[RD] The US Environmental Protection Agency

You assume I am taking a position where I have not. Here, let me give you a hand.
J

So, you are too shallow to have a position, meaning you are either a shill for the right wing or just trying to get fed. Which one? Not that I really care, but it will be helpful for others in deciding how to proceed with you.

Moderator Action: Please address the post and not the poster, particularly in an RD thread. ~ Arakhor

Last edited by a moderator:
So, you are too shallow to have a position, meaning you are either a shill for the right wing or just trying to get fed. Which one? Not that I really care, but it will be helpful for others in deciding how to proceed with you.
You're as diplomatic as usual.

This thread is not about me. This thread is about the EPA and I have said so repeatedly. However, no one has discussed or seemed interested in Pruitt's (and presumably Trump's) views which have become the Agency's position.

My position is that Pruitt's actions are reasonable in their context. I have also said that repeatedly, not that you care.

J

I have not. Why do you feel slighted?

Oh, don't flatter yourself. "Please do me the courtesy of not treating me like an idiot" was just rhetoric. Nothing you say could ever possibly offend me.

BTW Please extend others the courtesy you are requesting.

Perhaps I will, if you actually earn that courtesy.

Who isn't.

For starters, people who actually understand Thing One about the economy and society.

That's not a very tolerant position.

I've never claimed to be tolerant: my position has always been that Nazis and other such filth (which includes the omnicidal cult of climate change denial) would help us all out by dropping dead.

You assume I am taking a position where I have not.

J

My position is that Pruitt's actions are reasonable in their context. I have also said that repeatedly, not that you care.

J

So, you either have not taken a position, or you've said repeatedly that you have...or somewhere in between. And yet you expect people to be tolerant towards you and pretend that you argue in good faith.

Pruitt, and Trump by extension, qualify for that "anyone who doesn't want to keep the planet livable shouldn't be allowed to live on it" idea.

This is a bizarre discussion because half the posters think that the Agency is dedicated to eliminating toxic substances from air, water and soil. The other half wants to junk that and focus on climate change. I take it you fall in the second group.

Naturally, in either case, it's Trump's fault.

J

Air pollution, water pollution, radiation, toxic waste and greenhouse gases....anything that hurts the environment.

Air pollution, water pollution, radiation, toxic waste and greenhouse gases....anything that hurts the environment.
In a perfect world, you can do that. However, in a perfect world you would not need to.

The Agency has to prioritize. During the Obama administration, high priority was given to climate change and greenhouse gasses. Monitoring of air, water and soil pollution suffered. The new administration has reversed that policy and made greenhouse gasses the lowest (or non)priority. Were they wrong?

J

Moderator Action: This is an RD thread, so everyone needs to remember to address the topic (and not each other) in a civil manner at all times.

RD threads are not to be used for troll baiting and certainly not for trolling.

Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

In a perfect world, you can do that. However, in a perfect world you would not need to.

The Agency has to prioritize. During the Obama administration, high priority was given to climate change and greenhouse gasses. Monitoring of air, water and soil pollution suffered. The new administration has reversed that policy and made greenhouse gasses the lowest (or non)priority. Were they wrong?

J

IMO this post is not of RD standard because it fails to back up its claims.

Can you actually show that standards have slipped?

IMO this post is not of RD standard because it fails to back up its claims. Can you actually show that standards have slipped?
That would not be necessary. It is easy to show that Director Pruitt thinks so (not to mention President Trump). Prior to his appointment, Scott Pruitt was famous for suing the EPA. Here is an article listing 14 cases he filed for the State of Oklahoma.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...-v-EPA-a-Compilation-of-Oklahoma-14.html?_r=0

Two things come quickly from these cases. Director Pruitt thinks that EPA is misusing its authority to block construction of powerplants and that greenhouse gasses are not reasonable grounds to do so.

J

You know J, I think the EPA being able to regulate emissions and dirty power plants is a pretty good thing, if only so we can avoid looking like the 1970s.
What's your opinion on the Cuyahoga River catching on fire?

Moderator Action: Please address the post and not the poster, particularly in an RD thread. ~ Arakhor

Sorry to reply so late. I am neither a shill nor do I belong to any right or left wing. I really don't know that much about politics, I just know what's right and wrong. I was born in Switzerland and have built my life on honesty and respect for others. I have a wonderful family, have done well all my life. I am now 62 years old and have been denied a decent living by these people which have started this horrible distruction of humanity, my beloved animals on this Earth and all nature. Unbeknown to their co-workers and close friends, not even they are save because these ruthless beings kill their own without blinking an eye. I have felt May-Day all day long, solong Timesup2nothin and all my friends I never met!

Moderator Action: As a note, I merged the quote with your response. This is just a housekeeping thing, not a "real" moderator action. - Bootstoots

Last edited by a moderator:
There you have it. Note that I'm still being charitable by granting that you will address the relevant points, not continue whistling at the wind.
You're not letting the conversation go anywhere because you keep refusing to engage with anyone when they respond to these points.
We are having a conversation about what the Agency's scope and where it has exceeded that scope, which is very different.
I, and lots of other people, including at least one lawyer no less, addressed this by arguing that GHGs are within the EPA's scope (and probably even within its mandate) and that you haven't provided any evidence that they aren't. A big part of this topic was in what sense GHGs are a pollutant and should fall within the EPA's scope. Lots of people wrote reasonable posts explaining this by citing issues like ocean acidification. You either ignored them, responded condescendingly, or provided terse and unsupported arguments in response. Cutlass wrote a post concerning the philosophical rights-based issues at stake, which was obviously based on an assumption that the scope of governmental agencies should encompass issues that are important to the individual rights of American people and the common good. You ignored him completely making it a waste of his time. I also questioned why it even matters if GHGs are within the EPA's scope; anyone who takes the issue of climate change seriously should obviously care more about that than matters of scope. Part of discussing the "relevant points" is determining if they're even relevant.
We are having a conversation about what the Agency's scope and where it has exceeded that scope, which is very different.
So yeah, here's one of the relevant points. Again, you did absolutely nothing to show that the EPA exceeded its scope under Obama, while plenty of people argued that its scope includes (and certainly ought to include) GHGs.
The Agency is going back to the basics. Controlling greenhouse gasses does not contribute to clean water and does not necessarily contribute to clean air. You would need to dig into the definitions of clean air. Those are the purview of the EPA. The current movement is to focus on getting permits, rulings and findings concerning clean air and water out in a timely fashion.
A bunch of people argued this is totally false. And Trump proposed budget cuts to the EPA's ability to focus on the "basics," which you've totally ignored. And yet again, anyone who really cares about climate change would find this irrelevant.
As you say, Congress is the place to go to make a change. The EPA is tailoring its activities to existing law. If you want to extend the scope to include greenhouse gasses, pass a new law.
You conceded a long time ago that the EPA has authority from the Supreme Court to focus on GHGs. So we have "the EPA can choose to research/regulate GHGs [via Supreme Court]" and "Pruitt/Trump are choosing not to [via it's not, according to you, in the mandate]." Anyone who takes climate change seriously is dismayed at the choice not to, regardless of mandate. It's also very debatable that GHGs are not within the mandate and you've made very little effort to show that they aren't. And once again, Trump/Pruitt don't actually care about doing the things you believe to be within the mandate.
This is a bizarre discussion because half the posters think that the Agency is dedicated to eliminating toxic substances from air, water and soil. The other half wants to junk that and focus on climate change.
Up to this point it was uncontestable that the EPA under Trump/Pruitt, by reducing their focus on GHGs, is either violating the mandate or doing substantial harm to the planet by choosing to pursue the bare minimum requirements of the agency. At this point you realized you needed to fabricate some kind of "harm" associated with going beyond the mandate (supposing the mandate doesn't encompass GHGs, which once again, you never showed) and this argument was the result. This argument was shown by multiple people to be intellectually dishonest rubbish. I put some effort into explaining all the assumption built into this argument and just how much you'd have to prove for this argument to work. You ignored all these responses and started complaining that we weren't focusing on the "relevant points," even though you're the one who let the thread get away from the "relevant points."
The EPA has decided to sharply curtail its activities regarding greenhouse gases. According to the men that instigated this curtailment, it was a swamp. Those men are President Trump and Scott Pruitt. Their views are relevant to the decision
And so here we are at this remarkably anodyne claim: "Trump/Pruitt did a thing and that's ok cause they had a reason." That's the only thing you're entitled to say 5 pages in. And that excludes offering commentary on our failure to address the "relevant points," which you have no warrant for discussing until you remedy everything I've listed here.

You know J, I think the EPA being able to regulate emissions and dirty power plants is a pretty good thing, if only so we can avoid looking like the 1970s. What's your opinion on the Cuyahoga River catching on fire?
I agree. Working on these things is more important than greenhouse gasses, if a choice must be made.

J

Up to this point it was uncontestable that the EPA under Trump/Pruitt, by reducing their focus on GHGs, is either violating the mandate or doing substantial harm to the planet by choosing to pursue the bare minimum requirements of the agency.
That's obviously not true. Trump/Pruitt would contest it. In addition, I do not find it obviously wrong. What justification do you have that they are, "doing substantial harm to the planet by choosing to pursue the bare minimum requirements of the agency." While climate change is clearly real, a crisis it is not.

Trump is forcing such a choice by his massive and unnecessary budget cuts.
Thank you. This at least discusses the purpose of the thread.

I disagree. Under the old budget, under any budget, this choice had to be made. Prioritization is the stuff of governance. As shown by the numerous Oklahoma lawsuits, it prioritized climate change. My question is whether that is a reasonable choice.

J

Last edited:
Moderator Action: As a friendly reminder, it is the moderators who determine what is off-topic, not any one person in the thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom