The very many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reddit has some good subforums if you search, though this is content-dependent. /r/askhistorians for example goes into a ton of detail, lots of long posts.

General rule is lower subscriber count = better subreddit.

Ah AskHistorians

Thought Provoking Questions. 100+ Upvotes, 50 Comments.

[DELETED]
-[DELETED]
--[DELETED]
--[DELETED]
--[DELETED]
[DELETED]
-[DELETED]
-[DELETED]
--[DELETED]
--[DELETED]

Why did they delete all the posts?

That particular subreddit doesn't permit conversation or discussion. Only the type of history answers you'd get from Dachs or Owen Glyndwr or someone like that, and only then if they cite sources. Almost every other response gets deleted.

Oh wow. Reddit is a weird place. I'm not even sure how to read the responses since they are not chronologically arranged.

Oh well, I really wanted to talk about rocket engines with someone. :sad:

They do permit conversation and discussion, but you aren't allowed to talk out of your ass.

Oh wow. Reddit is a weird place. I'm not even sure how to read the responses since they are not chronologically arranged.

Oh well, I really wanted to talk about rocket engines with someone. :sad:

If you could find the right place, you might be able to. :dunno: Some of the science segments have good responses.

There are people with serious credentials and info who you can talk to. They're just not always the easiest to find, and then you still have to weed out the right people.

Try

https://www.reddit.com/r/EngineeringStudents

https://www.reddit.com/r/space/

https://www.reddit.com/r/science/

Recently, I have not been able to use proxy servers while browsing the internet. Every time I use proxy servers I get an error stating the proxy server is refusing connections or something like that. The only time I can get web pages to load is by disabling proxy servers. This was never a problem until about a week ago and I haven't made any changed to my PC that should have this effect.

So my question is two-parted: What could the issue possible be? Is this something I should be worried about?

If you need to, then use Tor, that should still work.

Does it apply to all sides? Maybe some of them just blacklisted the proxies you're using.
If all...then it might be the ISP, but I'd need to have a thought more about that.

If you need to, then use Tor, that should still work.

Does it apply to all sides? Maybe some of them just blacklisted the proxies you're using.
If all...then it might be the ISP, but I'd need to have a thought more about that.

I do use Tor occasionally when I am actually serious about hiding my presence. I just don't use it all the time because I find it slow and a little inconvenient for everyday browsing. And yes, it still works despite not being able to use proxies with my default browser.

As far as I can tell it is all proxy servers as the only way I could fix the problem was to go into the actual browser settings and disable the use of proxy servers.

mmhh...could still be different things.
I assume you did not mess around with your firewall recently? Because some of the proxies might go via unusual ports, which might be by default blocked.

Other options to test:
- can you ping the proxies themself? (Command line, type ping IPaddress, e.g. ping 127.0.0.1 )
-- if yes: Then there must be some problem on the way back, and I cannot really think about anything what it could be, unless it's actively filtered, but filtering one way also does not make any sense
-- if no: what does traceroute to a domain say if you have a proxy in or not (command tracert domainname, e.g. tracert google.com)? This will give you a list of IP addresses, which your signal goes through. Without proxy, it will reach the domain and you'll see all the IP addresses in between (e.g. first your router, then the closest by network hub, etc. and finally e.g. google), with the proxy it must stop at some point. If it's your router, then the problem is easy, then something in the configuration must be changed (might have happened via a recent update). Else...

Another thought: It could be a virus. Some of them hijack your local DNS system, and this could have some impact on the rest of the network traffic (I think, but I'm not thinking deeply right now...was long yesterday evening...).

Let's say I'm flying into La Guardia in New York on a Friday afternoon or evening (in about 2 weeks), hoping to end up in a hotel in a part of town where I'd be able to still head out in the late day to see/do some things, maybe some nightlife type stuff, or even just a movie theatre and/or a walk down some cool district with interesting architecture, maybe a festival, etc. whatever, something worthy to do on a Friday night.

Let's also say on Saturday I want to explore Manhattan and interesting sites in New York city wherever they may be (but I think Manhattan interests me the most), and on Sunday early afternoon I want to end up at Red Bull Arena in Newark, NJ at about 1:30pm.

Let's also say I want to fly home from LaGuardia as soon as possible after the game on Sunday (which will end at 3:30pm or so).

My question is: Which part of town should I be looking for a hotel in so that:

1. It makes it efficient for me to go from LaGuardia to my hotel on Friday, when I arrive
2. There's stuff to do around the hotel as mentioned
3. It's easy to get to Manhattan and/or other interesting sights in the city from the hotel for Saturday
4. It's easy to get to Red Bull Arena on Sunday
5. It's efficient to go to my hotel room after the game on Sunday, grab my stuff, and end up at LaGuardia by let's say 9pm to catch my flight. (I haven't found one like this, but who knows. backup plan is to fly home monday morning)

Not 100% sure I'm doing this, depends on a bunch of other stuff, but so far I've been able to figure out that Red Bull Arena is easy to get to, because it's close to a PATH train station. But no train or any other rail transit lines seems to run in the other direction, to LaGuardia, so I'm not sure where it makes the most sense to look for a hotel or airbnb accommodation. Thanks for any tips!

edit: my budget is.. uncertain. Depends on what's out there. I do not plan on staying in anything too fancy, might have to go with airbnb, but the amenities a hotel provides can be nice too so I'm open to hotels

Recently, I have not been able to use proxy servers while browsing the internet. Every time I use proxy servers I get an error stating the proxy server is refusing connections or something like that. The only time I can get web pages to load is by disabling proxy servers. This was never a problem until about a week ago and I haven't made any changed to my PC that should have this effect.

So my question is two-parted: What could the issue possible be? Is this something I should be worried about?

Free proxies? Don't bother, they're a waste of time and effort. And very likely more dangerous than not using a proxy.

Let's say I'm flying into La Guardia in New York on a Friday afternoon or evening (in about 2 weeks), hoping to end up in a hotel in a part of town where I'd be able to still head out in the late day to see/do some things, maybe some nightlife type stuff, or even just a movie theatre and/or a walk down some cool district with interesting architecture, maybe a festival, etc. whatever, something worthy to do on a Friday night.

Let's also say on Saturday I want to explore Manhattan and interesting sites in New York city wherever they may be (but I think Manhattan interests me the most), and on Sunday early afternoon I want to end up at Red Bull Arena in Newark, NJ at about 1:30pm.

Let's also say I want to fly home from LaGuardia as soon as possible after the game on Sunday (which will end at 3:30pm or so).

1. It makes it efficient for me to go from LaGuardia to my hotel on Friday, when I arrive
3. It's easy to get to Manhattan and/or other interesting sights in the city from the hotel for Saturday
5. It's efficient to go to my hotel room after the game on Sunday, grab my stuff, and end up at LaGuardia by let's say 9pm to catch my flight. (I haven't found one like this, but who knows. backup plan is to fly home monday morning)

Not 100% sure I'm doing this, depends on a bunch of other stuff, but so far I've been able to figure out that Red Bull Arena is easy to get to, because it's close to a PATH train station. But no train or any other rail transit lines seems to run in the other direction, to LaGuardia, so I'm not sure where it makes the most sense to look for a hotel or airbnb accommodation. Thanks for any tips!

edit: my budget is.. uncertain. Depends on what's out there. I do not plan on staying in anything too fancy, might have to go with airbnb, but the amenities a hotel provides can be nice too so I'm open to hotels

This is probably useful.

Thinking of starting a game of XCOM: Enemy Within in which the members of CFC will act as a "council of commanders" to decide what gets built, what missions to do, etc.

Anyway, my question is: What forum should I start the thread in? There are several that seem appropriate, but I'm just not entirely sure.

Probably all other games, unless you want to be a rebel and host it on OT or something

Hotels in/around Nyc are ridiculously expensive. I'm using airb&b for the first time this week (I'm in St. Petersburg, Florida) and having such good experience I can't imagine going back to boring hotels.

Also, we should hang. And if I have any invites to cool parties/events I can pass them your way.

Add me on facebook, pm me for link. :)

I found a hotel for $90 USD a night in Manhattan. But didn't look very closely yet, so I'm not exactly sure if it's in a good spot or not. Didn't check reviews either, but IIRC it was some sort of a chain.

I'll let you know if I end up doing this, then you can be my tourguide ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom