1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread 36

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, Dec 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silurian

Silurian Warlord

So if you hold the door open for your friends do they give you money because otherwise it would clearly be terrible.

2. civvver

civvver Warlord

I've written entire guides for games that I haven't even published. Like literally no one has read them but me. Just for kicks. When I'm bored.

I've written a few chapters of a fiction novel that I'll probably never finish.

It's how some people entertain themselves. Some people play video games. Others create video games. I know a guy who built and programmed his own raspberry pi to be a mini console from scratch just cus it was fun for him to do. Even though you can go buy a prebuilt one for cheap now or a kit at the very least. Some people just like a challenge.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  3. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Kael, but not Firaxis, but by...er... the guys from GalCiv, I think.

IIRC at some time when it became relevant we (the mods at that time) had agreed to crack down very hard on this (personal harrasment), but I think it never happened, or at least never got reported :dunno: (more likely).

4. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

I think Soren had an account too.

The_J likes this.
  5. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Hm, if all are perfect logicians, why would one leave sooner than the other? Is the other blue eyes person a beta or something? :)
    Wouldnt it make more sense if they left in groups? In which case the exact number of days cannot be gathered by the premise.
    Another issue being that before anyone leaves there is no proof sensed by the other that he had blue eyes; in effect the first one to leave would not be acting logically.

6. civvver

civvver Warlord

See my reply later. I think it's easier to understand. Basically the answer is indeterminate until you see another's action or inaction. That clues you into your eye color. That's why they all have to wait.

Again, guru says someone has blue eyes. If only one blue eye'd person exists he can see everyone else has brown and safely conclude he has blue and can leave.

If two blue eye'd people see each other it's indeterminate. But they can see that if there was only one blue eye'd person he would've left on the first day. Thus when they don't leave, they know oh he sees someone else with blue eyes, which must be me, and they can both safely determine they have blue eyes.

And it keeps growing from there. Throw in a third blue eye'd person. If that third person has brown eyes, then scenario 2 applies, and after two days the blue eye'd people will be gone, but because they are both still around, the third person can say oh I have blue eye's too and then they all leave in three days.

And it just keeps going and going.

7. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

I bought a pack of instant ramen, and on the package in large letters it says it contains "ISO Peptide!" What's the significance of this?

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  8. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

The issue is that one supreme logician gets it prior to another one, so decides to leave first. Why would this happen? Why the one and not the other blue eyed logician first?
    Ie this has a logical inconsistency. It would make more sense if all blue eyed people left after just one day (cause they saw that no one left the day before).
    That is if they notice other blue eyed ones staying and also observing them.

9. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

I think this is the right answer:

Beyond Raw® Iso-Peptide Protein - Chocolate | GNC
    Iso-Peptide is a unique 10x10x10 blend (10g complex of whey and collagen peptides combined with 10g of whey protein isolate and 10g of micellar casein) to provide immediate as well as delayed sources of amino acids.
    https://www.gnc.com/protein-blends/IsoPeptideProtein.html

courtesy of duckduckgo.

tl;dr it's protein stuff to make you stronk, or so they claim.

10. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

Instant ramen with casein in it sounds like it would ruin my day.

What's with instant ramen, anyways? I eat other high sodium foods and I'm fine but there's just something about the instant ramen that sends me straight to headache town.

As an aside, Beyond Raw is a pretty good supplement brand.

11. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Probably MSG. It can hide under other names on the label.

12. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

That's a myth. But even if it weren't, it's not that. I can have other MSG dishes just fine! :)

13. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

missspelling. supposed ta mean "ISOPOD". I ate some in Viet Nam, it wasn't too good. little meat, lots of shell. like a worse crab.

14. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

MSG is one of the most amazing ingredients in all of cooking, and it is an absolute travesty that it became a casualty in an idiotic dogwhistle racism campaign.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  15. civvver

civvver Warlord

what do you mean? One doesn't leave first, they all leave at the same time on the 100th day. There is no superior logician, they're all the same. I can't really explain it any better than this. If you know at least one person in this group has blue eyes and you don't see anyone else with blue eyes you know that person has to be you. But since there's more than one person with blue eyes, you can't know what color your eyes are. But since no one else leaves you can tell that they also can't tell and thus you do have blue eyes, cus if you didn't they would've left immediately. That's it. After that you can just keep expanding it by adding more people and the number of days simply increases.

Here's a similar puzzle about logic elimination that I've seen in a few different presentations, but this one is a good write up:

Three wise men are told to stand in a straight line, one in front of the other. A hat is put on each of their heads. They are told that each of these hats was selected from a group of five hats: two black hats and three white hats. The first man, standing at the front of the line, can’t see either of the men behind him or their hats. The second man, in the middle, can see only the first man and his hat. The last man, at the rear, can see both other men and their hats.

None of the men can see the hat on his own head. They are asked to deduce its color. Some time goes by as the wise men ponder the puzzle in silence. Finally the first one, at the front of the line, makes an announcement: “My hat is white.”

He is correct. How did he come to this conclusion?

from here:
    https://tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/16/the-puzzle-of-the-3-hats/

There are no tricks to this, no mirrors or anything, it's just a logic puzzle.

Answer:
    Spoiler :

Consider the first two men have black hats. If that is the case the third man, who can see both of them knows immediately he has a white hat on cus all black hats are used up. Since he does not state this, then at least one of the first two men must have a white hat on.

Now by the silence of the third man, the second man now knows that at least one of them has a white hat on. If the first man was wearing a black hat, then the second man could determine his hat must be white. And he would state that. But his silence indicates that he doesn't know, meaning the first man's hat is not black, and thus has to be white.

16. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

bruh, it's pretty much just MSG and Saltwater, how could it not be bad for you? personally I don't have any reaction to instant ramen, I could eat it thrice a day and be okay, but yeah if you're already sensitive it's probably one of the worst things you could possibly eat.

MSG isn't really an ingredient, tho, unless you're referring to the powder, in which case it definitely is an ingredient.. some form of seasoning or a spice? Even tho the powder is in my pantry at all times I hardly ever use it. Why not just use parmesan rind / concentrated tomato / fish sauce / soy sauce / caramelized veggies / algae? often the natural occuring glutamate is nicer, imho, tho I doubt if I could tell the difference in a blind test.

MSG has had a bad rep ever since one incompetent doctor thought Chinese food was causing stomach problems and myth went utterly viral. turns out it wasn't Chinese food nor MSG; Americans just eat like **** :lol:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  17. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

It means it can be used to make a cellular peptide cake. All you need is mint frosting.

Silurian and MaryKB like this.
  18. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

ooh, this is a new one for me, how did the MSG thing turn into a racist thing?

19. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Professional Killjoy Moderator

Funny, if I eat something that has a lot of MSG in it I get a migraine. Case in point: If I go to my favorite restaurant, I don't get a headache because they don't use MSG. If I go to another restaurant and have the same dish, I could possibly wind up with a headache because they use a lot of MSG.

Nothing racial about it. The crap gives me a headache.

Silurian likes this.
  20. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

The MSG headache/migraine is an urban myth, though. There's lots of natural sources of the stuff (tomatoes and cheese and stuff) and bad effects weren't consistent when doing double-blind studies. Though too much salt, whether its MSG or other sorts, can trigger migraines because of dehydration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.