1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread 36

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, Dec 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

I do think salt has way more to do with it, although the mere knowledge of MSG may also be playing into a placebo effect.

2. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

I've only ever known of it as a health-food trend (well, abstaining from it was the trend) but I have noticed that Asian-branded foods and restaurants often go out of their way to say "NO MSG" on the package or menu. What is the direct link to racism?

3. Synsensa

Synsensa Sweet Pea Retired Moderator

The anti-MSG campaign disproportionately targeted Asian/Chinese restaurants even though many other restaurants and products use it liberally.

4. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

It's boggling my mind because the person I know who gets migraines from MSG is Asian! I don't know how exhaustive her food-elimination studies have been, but I take her at her word.

5. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

But...why?

They went after Asians on purpose? Or was that an unhappy coincidence?

6. Synsensa

Synsensa Sweet Pea Retired Moderator

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  7. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

Thanks for the link.

I guess MSG is to umami what salt is to everything else. I knew it was an additive but I didn't know you could just sprinkle it on like salt. I feel silly though because it seems obvious in hindsight.

8. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

let me poop all over your parade.

All glutamates are not created equal
    MSG, or monosodium glutamate, is a synthetic chemical that is added to manufactured and processed foods to make them more palatable. This form of free glutamate is present in almost all processed foods and is valued by manufacturers for imparting a pleasing, savory taste. Though MSG contains glutamic acid, due to the manufacturing process it is also almost always accompanied by unwanted by-products or contaminants. Searching the scientific literature regarding the health effects of MSG indicates controversy over the potential of MSG to cause various adverse reactions—from headaches and migraines to endocrine disruption. However, careful attention to the source of funding from these studies often reveals that many confirming the safety of MSG are in fact supported by food manufacturers. The Truth in Labeling Campaign has extensively studied the role of MSG and found that some people are clearly sensitive, with the most common sensitivity likely being intolerance to one or more of the contaminants produced through the manufacturing process (1).

having A TON (small amounts shouldn't do anything) of free glutamate may indeed be headache inducing. it also means that the restaurant you're eating at is trash, and that you have bad sense of judgement :lol:

glutamate that occurs naturally could never be proven to affect health in any negative way whatsoever, especially in the quantities it occurs in.

cardgame, Birdjaguar and Silurian like this.
  9. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

And yet Flat-Earthism still exists.

10. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Oh you can edit this

I think you misread the explanation (and also the answer?!). Nobody is leaving first. One group of people all leave at the same time.

11. caketastydelish

caketastydelish 49ers 2019

I could use the assistance of someone with a renounced sense of style and fashion in making myself more conventionally attractive. I don't want to post pics of myself on the forum as of this moment but please shoot me a PM if you'd be interested.

12. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Do you mean pronounced? Renounce means refusing or abandoning a particular position or title.

caketastydelish likes this.
  13. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

The fact that Doom will run on anything is sort of a meme these days. Did Doom challenge computers when it came out or has it always been an easy program for them to run?

14. Samson

Samson Warlord

I seem to remember is was the 1st game I was aware of that required a graphics card with some sort of 3D processing capability, so a bit. I was a student, so probably had a pretty old computer that was only challenged by Civ 1 otherwise.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  15. civvver

civvver Warlord

I'm too young for that, I only remember: Does it run Crysis? That was the ultimate pc benchmark for a long time.

16. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I think it's more about "what's a classic which you'd always want to play", rather than if it can be run on something.
    Personally I'd prefer Quake though.

17. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Doom set a standard for mindless violence that has yet to be met.
    ‘Lotsa bad guys ahead! kill them all, don't get killed, there's weapons around the place, go go go!’

And that's it.

18. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

I don't know much about fashion, but Step 1 is to grow a beard. No joke, it gives you control over your jawline, where regular old flesh-and-bone leaves you at the whims of genetics, plus you get to look all rugged and manly and whatnot.

caketastydelish likes this.
  19. caketastydelish

caketastydelish 49ers 2019

Someone who sent me a PM (and saw pics of me) also recommended a beard. :lol:

20. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Well, there you go. The wisdom of crowds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.