The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe it's a rule that if both players make the same move three turns in a row, the game is a draw.

You can achieve a steel-man by listening, without interruption, to your opponent's complete argument

This should at most be manmanning. To steelman you should have to add something to your opponent's argument.

I haven't followed the discussion, and my point is certainly not about a realistic chess game. That said, if this is a metaphor for other games (not consistently competitive ones; even a human life can be a game), it would be poignant that an unrealistic chess game can always consist of infinite moves without any piece removed (both players could, eg, move a rook to and fro forever, or if a rule not allowing this is implemented, they can mix in other non-pawn to-and-fro moves, and I am not sure if current chess rules have an implemented rule against all periodic moves regardless of number of pieces involved, or an upper bound for no piece removed).
According to wikipedia that is not true, but I had not incorporated the pawn moves in my estimate:

9.6 If one or both of the following occur(s) then the game is drawn:
9.6.2 any series of at least 75 moves have been made by each player without the movement of any pawn and without any capture. If the last move resulted in checkmate, that shall take precedence.​

I believe it's a rule that if both players make the same move three turns in a row, the game is a draw.

Yes, but afaik that is only about one piece. I doubt there is a rule against the unrealistic setting where you move a few pieces to-and-fro, and you can in theory move up to 8. (edit, see below!)

According to wikipedia that is not true, but I had not incorporated the pawn moves in my estimate:

9.6 If one or both of the following occur(s) then the game is drawn:
9.6.2 any series of at least 75 moves have been made by each player without the movement of any pawn and without any capture. If the last move resulted in checkmate, that shall take precedence.​

So there is a rule ^_^
Shouldn't be difficult to calculate the upper bound for this, although given all sets of such moves (given they are finite) will be a drop in the ocean of the total number of distinct games, you don't really have to do it.

Is the text box on Twitter fixed in its dimensions? That is to say, will it predictably put a character return after a particular number of characters have been typed? Or can either the typer or reader manipulate that?

Is the text box on Twitter fixed in its dimensions? That is to say, will it predictably put a character return after a particular number of characters have been typed? Or can either the typer or reader manipulate that?

Hit return for a new line.

How left or right are online newspapers in UK? Which ones are 'neutral' or most level-headed?

How left or right are online newspapers in UK? Which ones are 'neutral' or most level-headed?
Mostly pretty right, certainly by CFC standards. The Independent markets its self as such, but is solidly neo-liberal. The Guardian or The Mirror are sort of left of most, but not very much. Level headed is a big ask for actual media these days.

How much do you pay/month (in your country) for unlimited data web access from a mobile?

65€ for the first year, afterwards 80€.
You can get 100GB for half of the price though.

Netflix on minimum quality is 300mb/hour, so you can easily live with 100 GB (although not sure how much video conferencing does take per hour).

65€ for the first year, afterwards 80€.
You can get 100GB for half of the price though.

Netflix on minimum quality is 300mb/hour, so you can easily live with 100 GB (although not sure how much video conferencing does take per hour).

Yes, it sucks. Here is is 40 something euro (which becomes closer to 45 with tax). I was thinking of streaming too, but maybe I will check if 100 GB is available (it is enough; even 50 GB/month would be enough).

Similar to above you can get a plan for 120gb for €12 pm here.

As it happens I used to do the accounting for telecoms equipment projects in Greece.
It wasn't a good market when I covered it in about 2008, but it made the accounting easy.

Just learned from my partner that there are different lyrics that different people assign to the ice cream truck song (listen here). After some googling, it seems that the original song was a very racist, and that there's a bunch of variations on the lyrics.

So now I'm curious, what lyrics did everyone here learn for that song, if any? Is the song known much outside the US?
here's what my partner learned:
Do your ears hang low? Do they wobble to and fro?
Can you tie 'em in a knot, can you tie 'em in a bow?
Can you throw 'em o'er your shoulder like a continental soldier?
Do your ears~ hang~ low~?
and here's what I learned:
Oh I had a little chicken, but she wouldn't lay an egg
So I poured hot water on her hind left leg
And she giggled and she goggled and she goggled and she giggled
And the poor little chicken laid a hard-boiled egg!

I'm familiar with both sets, though my version of the second set is slightly different (so I poured hot water up and down her leg). Mostly my dad sang the first version, though.

First version is familiar to me.
I have consumed a lot of American media over the years and have family there.

Just learned from my partner that there are different lyrics that different people assign to the ice cream truck song (listen here). After some googling, it seems that the original song was a very racist, and that there's a bunch of variations on the lyrics.

So now I'm curious, what lyrics did everyone here learn for that song, if any? Is the song known much outside the US?

The first version goes back to my childhood. When we sang it as middle schoolers, we changed the ears to balls. :lol:

I learned the first version in Grade 1. None of us had a clue what a "continental soldier" was.

It's nearly 52 years later and I still remember that song and the actions we were taught to go with it.

What are some good unsolved mysteries type of shows? I recently finished all 12 original seasons of Unsolved Mysteries plus the 2 netflix seasons and I can't get enough. I've tried Cold Case Detective but the quality of the production is kind of lacking.

At what playback speed do you listen to (non music/graphic based) youtube videos?

I recently started using higher speeds, and 1.75 is the most common. If the lecturer is really old, 2 may work too. It saves time (a 2 hour lecture being reduced to 1 hour is certainly a gain).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom