UHVs, Abilities, UU, and UB for New Civs

I know.

Look at the date.

I think Africa could use some fundamental rejiggering. But I also don't think it's a top priority.

... If you want a Jewish Civ, I propose the Khazar. That civ spawns a few turns before the Arabs, has a core area (caucus mountains) that is usually not populated, and already has an easy to identify UHV (Such as control the Pontic–Caspian steppe, and have no barbarians there). The civ will be in conflict with the AI vikings & (I'd argue) AI Arabs & Byzantines. Heck, there is a Civ 4 mod for them:
HERE (though in my opinion the art is a bit weak).

Here is my rough draft for them:
UU: Arsiyah (Cavalry)
UB: Qaghan Beg (lit. the house of the Qaghan. According to Ahmad Ibn Fadlan, the Khazars were led by two simultaneous leaders, a Malik/Melekh who was in charge of legislative authority and trade, and the Qaghan (Khagan). The Qaghan was a spiritual and military leader who ruled from his semi-nomadic home or beg. Therefore the Qaghan Beg easily replaces the courthouse, stables, or Barracks)

Power: Power of Correspondence, each temple produces an extra trade route. -50% unhappiness from non-state religions

UHV 1: Control X cities by 750 CE
UHV 2: Have X commerce in your capital by 950 CE
UHV 3: Build a Jewish Academy in Kiev

Let me take another crack at this:
Khazars: Spawn date 618 CE (Maybe spawn at 600 for scenario?)
UU: Arsiyah (Horse Archer or other appropriate age cavalry)
UB: Qaghan Beg (replaces the stable)

Power: Power of Correspondence: As long as you have a minor religion (Judaism, Tengriism, etc). Your capital gains .5 :gold:, .5 :culture:, .25 :science: for each city that shares that religion. You can have :traderoute: with any city that shares your religion.

UHV 1: Atlantis of the Steppe Control 7 cities, Defeat 25 non-barbarian units, and Have Open Boarders with two Empires by 750 CE
UHV 2:
Religious Syncretism Have 10 religious buildings in your capital by 950 CE
UHV 3: Yashuvu Yisra'el Build a Jewish Sanhedrin in Kiev.

I think there's a long term plan to fix the map and introduce civs in central Asia between the Tarim basin and the north of the Black sea where the Khazars would be, now that camels are in the game perhaps it's time to start thinking about it again?

I definitely think the Khazars would be a great civ to include, especially bc they could replace most of the random barbarian spawns in the region after 600 and slow the russian expansion south and east a it. I do think UHV 2 would be a little hard to achieve as you only have around 35 turns to get 4 religions in your capital and build the buildings. The Khazars should have some goal or power that reflects their early alliance with the Byzantines, until Kievan Rus' rose to prominence in the region. Perhaps the first goal should be more about actually defeating a certain number of barbarian units, rather than non-, as they mostly fought against nomadic steppe people

I think there's a long term plan to fix the map and introduce civs in central Asia between the Tarim basin and the north of the Black sea where the Khazars would be, now that camels are in the game perhaps it's time to start thinking about it again?

I definitely think the Khazars would be a great civ to include, especially bc they could replace most of the random barbarian spawns in the region after 600 and slow the russian expansion south and east a it. I do think UHV 2 would be a little hard to achieve as you only have around 35 turns to get 4 religions in your capital and build the buildings. The Khazars should have some goal or power that reflects their early alliance with the Byzantines, until Kievan Rus' rose to prominence in the region. Perhaps the first goal should be more about actually defeating a certain number of barbarian units, rather than non-, as they mostly fought against nomadic steppe people
The Khazars were a Western off-shoot of the Turkic steppe empires. All of those offshoots should be represented by one civ just like all of the offshoots of the Mongols are represented by the Mongols.

The Khazars were a Western off-shoot of the Turkic steppe empires. All of those offshoots should be represented by one civ just like all of the offshoots of the Mongols are represented by the Mongols.
In terms of culture they were very different though, Khazars was a more trade oriented civ with a state religion, I think even these two differentiates them from other Turkic states at the time. Btw I would also support a Golden Horde civ that spawns if Mongols collapse.

Tocharians / Yuezhi / Kushans:
I do not have a concrete idea in my mind about the civilization, but I think either as a 1-2 city civ in the Silk Road/Tarim Basin, or as mighty Kushan Empire* they would offer a very interesting gameplay and would fill the void in Central Asia before any other Turkic Civilization.
If anyone else thinks its location and historical role would offer an interesting gameplay, then we might brainstorm about the civilizations specialities. btw I think even in the current map there is enough space for them.

*:Which would make Northern India a more interesting place and would give India a real early military challenge other than mindless barbarians.

The Kushan Empire (1st Century B.C.E. - 4th Century C.E.)
UHV
1) The Silk Road: Establish open borders with China, Rome, and Ethiopia
2) Multicultural: Build a Stupa, Mandir, and Holy Fire
3) Winter Palace: Build the Qila Mubarak in India
UU: Look here. Their army had a mix of all things, though they are noted as having both Cataphracts and Tower elephants. I say a cataphract replacement to the horse archer named "Yabgu Guard"
UB: instead of a building replacement, how about a special wonder? The Qila Mubarak, it acts as a second palace.

We also have made a kushans civ pack for 1.13, about 16 months ago, some screenshots here:
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/4394987308

Starting Year: 125bc
UU: Askava(Horse Archer)
UB: Arrow Tower(Wall)
UP: The Power of Silk Road: Extra fields and benefits from Silk Road
UHV1: Secure or get by trade 10 Silk Road resourses by 600ad
UHV2: Make sure 15% of world is controlled by Buddhism civs by 900ad
UHV3: Build 10 Arrow Towers, 8 Stables, 6 Libraries and 4 courthouse by 800ad

Also added Bamiyan as world wonder in this pack.

It would probably make more sense to spawn them as the Tocharians if you want them early, as the Kushans most likely originated there.

The Kushans would also generally fill the role of the invader empires that established themselves in Afghanistan and northern India throughout much of that period, including the Sakas and Hepthalites.

Okay so let me move the discussion here to more concrete terms:

Kushana Empire

Start: 155 BCE in Tamir Basin
UU: Yabgu Guard, a Cataphrac Horse Archer
UB: Arrow Tower (replaces the wall)
UP: Cultural Exchange Your missionaries increase an empire's favor to you on a successful conversion. The Silk Road company provides +1 :hammers: for every non-state religion in your cities.
UHV 1: Yuehzi Migrantion Build a Palace in a Bactrian city by 30 CE
UHV 2: The Council of Kanishka Spread Bhuddism to 25% of the world by 135 CE
UHV 3: Heart Of Trade Have Open Borders with a civ in Europe, Africa, and East Asia by 250 CE.

Last edited:
Malay
650 AD in Palembang

UHV 1: The slayer of courageous enemies
Control at least 1 city each in Sumatra, Malay peninsula, Java, Indochina, and Madagascar by 800 AD

UHV 2: Celates
Sink X ships by 1400 AD

UHV 3: Hands on the throat of Venice
Have trade agreements with X other nations by 1500 AD

UU: Orang Laut

UB: Kelong
Replaces Harbor. +1 Commerce from Fishing Boats and High Sea Fishing Boats

Ability: The Power of Straits

Core: South Sumatra, and later Malay Peninsula.
Historical: Sumatra, Malay Peninsula, West Java, East Malaysia, Brunei, Khmer core, and Madagascar.

==========
Java
1019 AD in Kahuripan (near Surabaya)

UHV 1: Prelambang Joyoboyo
Generate a Great Prophet before 1180 AD

UHV 2: Palapa Oath
Improve X land resources in Maritime Southeast Asia by 1365 AD

UHV 3: Bhinneka Tunggal Ika
Control more cities with Islam in it than any other civs while having 6 or more religions in the capital by 1950 AD

UU: (Javanese) Jong
Replaces the Galleon, Requires Machinery, 5 Movement, 59 Production Cost, +50% vs. Privateer, Cannot enter Ocean and Cape until Optics

UB: Candi

Ability: The Power of Islander
No combat penalty for Attacking from Sea. No Movement Cost when moving from Sea to Land.

Core: Central and East Java and Bali.
Historical: Sunda Islands, Malay Peninsula, and Maluku Islands.

Malay
650 AD in Palembang

UHV 1: The slayer of courageous enemies
Control at least 1 city each in Sumatra, Malay peninsula, Java, Indochina, and Madagascar by 800 AD

UHV 2: Celates
Sink X ships by 1400 AD

UHV 3: Hands on the throat of Venice
Have trade agreements with X other nations by 1500 AD

UU: Orang Laut

UB: Kelong
Replaces Harbor. +1 Commerce from Fishing Boats and High Sea Fishing Boats

Ability: The Power of Straits

Core: South Sumatra, and later Malay Peninsula.
Historical: Sumatra, Malay Peninsula, West Java, East Malaysia, Brunei, Khmer core, and Madagascar.

==========
Java
1019 AD in Kahuripan (near Surabaya)

UHV 1: Prelambang Joyoboyo
Generate a Great Prophet before 1180 AD

UHV 2: Palapa Oath
Improve X land resources in Maritime Southeast Asia by 1365 AD

UHV 3: Bhinneka Tunggal Ika
Control more cities with Islam in it than any other civs while having 6 or more religions in the capital by 1950 AD

UU: (Javanese) Jong
Replaces the Galleon, Requires Machinery, 5 Movement, 59 Production Cost, +50% vs. Privateer, Cannot enter Ocean and Cape until Optics

UB: Candi

Ability: The Power of Islander
No combat penalty for Attacking from Sea. No Movement Cost when moving from Sea to Land.

Core: Central and East Java and Bali.
Historical: Sunda Islands, Malay Peninsula, and Maluku Islands.
Both should spawn earlier. UHV1 doesn't make sense to me -- it should be about conquering the malays or building relevant wonders.
UHV2 should be specifically about spices. Nobody came to the Moluccas for the rice or bananas.

Hittites
Spawn date: 1800BC.
Leader: Muwatalli II
Power: Iron will. Cheaper production cost for iron based units

UU: 3 man chariot (replaces chariot unit, more powerful but with reduced chance to withdraw from combat)
UB: Royal Archives (replaces library)

UHV 1: Control 2 sources of Iron by 1400BC
UHV 2: Have 8 chariots by 1200BC
UHV 3: Win a war with Greece, Babylon, and Egypt by 1000BC

Core: Turkey
Historical: Levant

Timurids
Spawn date 1360AD.
Leader: Timur
Power: The reign of Timur the Lane. No negative stability points for expansion

UU: Timurid horse archers (replaces horseman, bonus 50% attack when attacking mounted troops
UB: Herat school (national wonder that gives extra culture)

UHV 1: Control cities in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria and Turkey 1400AD
UHV 2: Build 5 madrasah’s by1450AD
UHV 3: Have had 2 great artists by 1500AD

Core: Uzbekistan area
Historical: Persia, Afghanistan and Pakistan areas

Civ Name: Venice (Serenissima Repubblica di Venezia)
Spawn Date: 697 AD

UHV 1: Marco Polo voyage
Send a GM to China by 1300 AD

UHV 2: Stato da Mar
Control Balkans, Creta and Cyprus in 1500

UHV 3: San Marco
Build Basilica di San Marco by 1600

UU: Galeazza Veneziana
A medieval galley with bombard capabilities

UB: Arsenale
A building to improve costruction of naval units

Ability: Naval units can travel without open border (like dutch)
Alternative: UU Galeazza can travel without open border like caravel, and can also bombard and transport units,
and ability is something about trading (ie trade routs can cross enemy seas)

Core Areas/Areas of Expansion/etc.
Venice, northern italy, dalmatia, greece, constantinopolis, creta, cyprus, crimea

No, instead we need:

Genoa
Spawn Date: 1000 AD

UHV 1: Obtain Silk Road company by 1100.

UHV 2: Control every city on the Black Sea by 1450.

UHV 3: Have the highest amount of trade import and export income by 1600 (stolen from RFCE).

UU: Balestrieri (Crossbowman with 7 :strength: and extra First Strike)

UB: Bank of San Marco (extra free Merchant, straight from RFCE)

UA: Power of Financial Support: Gain an extra trade route each time you are in a war with an ally, symbolizing the pattern of trade benefits Genoa gained whenever it supported allies in a war. Needs balancing

Core: Liguria

Historical/contested: Tangiers, Crete, Cyprus, Morea, Constantinople, Smyrna, Sinope, Antioch, Alexandria

Top Bottom