1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

UK Politics - Weeny, Weedy, Weaky

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Arakhor, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

So, in an attempt to keep the Brexit thread more narrowly focused (on only half of all ongoing British political shenanigans), here's another thread for general UK goings-on, such as the big orange Trump baby (the balloon, not the US president).

Have at it!

Kyriakos likes this.
  2. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

All the people in this Labour Party group I'm in on Facebook seem sure May's government is about to fall. But I don't trust them.

3. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

Good idea! This is a much better place to discuss the possible referendum on
    re-uniting Ireland without all manner of other irrelevant nonsense.

I think it should be a non-binding referendum so that the campaigns for both
    sides can be conducted without bitterness or rancour.

4. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I think that the tory party will rather keep (even) this circus going rather than risk losing power in a new election...

5. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I read a piece in the Grauniad recently saying the only principle currently unifying the Tories is keeping Corbyn out of power. I hope that works as well for them as "Trump is bad" worked for the Democrats in 2016.

Kyriakos likes this.
  6. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

The The in The Tory Party is probably completely superfluous now.

Kyriakos likes this.
  7. Samson

Samson Warlord

A BBC reporter came from interviewing backbenchers coming out of the 1922 meeting after deciding not to have a vote of no confidence. He said the main reason for not calling it is 'cos they are afraid of Corbyn winning like Blair did in 1997.

8. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

e.g. actually amassing more votes than all other parties combined? Good God, Lemon Lexicus.

9. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Well, Clinton got more votes than Trump in the Presidential election, but I highly doubt that's the case for the Democrats in the 2016 election overall. Remember, that election ended with Democrats having less control at all levels of government than at any time in US history since 1929 (iirc).

10. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

Some guy called Jeremy Hunt is the new Foreign minister. Good guy/Bad guy? Competent/Incompetent? Any opinions?

11. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

If May had any principles, the moment the backbenchers finally decide to hold a vote of no confidence she could just send in some much needed legislation for Northern Ireland. So she won't.
    You're not remembering the point that the Tories got about a third of the total vote in 2015 (slightly more than Labour and their stone of pledges did) and that got them an outright majority, but they got 40-odd per cent in the following election and they actually lost ground in the Commons.

12. Samson

Samson Warlord

The NHS are not so keen on him, after him being in charge for the last 6 years. He forced a new contract on them that no-one wanted and is not considered likely to improve care. He probably will get on well with Trump.

13. Arakhor

He's the longest-serving Health Secretary in British history, but amassed quite the fan-base, shall we say, for his actions.

Morty likes this.
  14. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

So, really, is Jeremy Hunt's sting of promotions over the years a result of the Peter principle, or of the Dilbert principle? I really cannot tell by now.

15. Arakhor

Well, since he managed to get promoted beyond his most famous (and long-lasting) job, I don't think it's the Peter principle.

16. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

So Treeza wants to save the NHS then? Nice.

17. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

Gazing into my crystal ball, I predict that May will continue to claim the moral high ground relative to other world leaders despite the fact that she formed a government with the DUP.

18. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

There was a review of boundaries that started a few years ago, the so-called
    Sixth Periodic Review.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixth_Periodic_Review_of_Westminster_constituencies

The Parliamentary Constituencies (Amendment) Bill 2017-19, most recently debated
    in 2017, aims to replace the Sixth Periodic Review with an entirely new process
    in time for the Next United Kingdom general election.

Any bets on whether that is going to be accurate? :)

19. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I guess your point is going over my head now.

20. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

What are the chances that Jacob Rees-Mogg becomes prime minister ?
    I don't know if I want to lve in that world, but I absolutely want to see it. I want so see him getting anlong with Trump for about two weeks until the inevitable falling out. Can't wait to hear Trump's insults for him.

Ferocitus likes this.