UK Politics - Weeny, Weedy, Weaky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arakhor

Dremora Courtier
Super Moderator
Supporter
So, in an attempt to keep the Brexit thread more narrowly focused (on only half of all ongoing British political shenanigans), here's another thread for general UK goings-on, such as the big orange Trump baby (the balloon, not the US president).

Have at it!

All the people in this Labour Party group I'm in on Facebook seem sure May's government is about to fall. But I don't trust them.

Good idea! This is a much better place to discuss the possible referendum on
re-uniting Ireland without all manner of other irrelevant nonsense.

I think it should be a non-binding referendum so that the campaigns for both
sides can be conducted without bitterness or rancour.

I think that the tory party will rather keep (even) this circus going rather than risk losing power in a new election...

I read a piece in the Grauniad recently saying the only principle currently unifying the Tories is keeping Corbyn out of power. I hope that works as well for them as "Trump is bad" worked for the Democrats in 2016.

I think that the tory party will rather keep (even) this circus going rather than risk losing power in a new election...

The The in The Tory Party is probably completely superfluous now.

I read a piece in the Grauniad recently saying the only principle currently unifying the Tories is keeping Corbyn out of power. I hope that works as well for them as "Trump is bad" worked for the Democrats in 2016.
A BBC reporter came from interviewing backbenchers coming out of the 1922 meeting after deciding not to have a vote of no confidence. He said the main reason for not calling it is 'cos they are afraid of Corbyn winning like Blair did in 1997.

e.g. actually amassing more votes than all other parties combined? Good God, Lemon Lexicus.

e.g. actually amassing more votes than all other parties combined? Good God, Lemon Lexicus.

Well, Clinton got more votes than Trump in the Presidential election, but I highly doubt that's the case for the Democrats in the 2016 election overall. Remember, that election ended with Democrats having less control at all levels of government than at any time in US history since 1929 (iirc).

Some guy called Jeremy Hunt is the new Foreign minister. Good guy/Bad guy? Competent/Incompetent? Any opinions?

If May had any principles, the moment the backbenchers finally decide to hold a vote of no confidence she could just send in some much needed legislation for Northern Ireland. So she won't.
Well, Clinton got more votes than Trump in the Presidential election, but I highly doubt that's the case for the Democrats in the 2016 election overall. Remember, that election ended with Democrats having less control at all levels of government than at any time in US history since 1929 (iirc).
You're not remembering the point that the Tories got about a third of the total vote in 2015 (slightly more than Labour and their stone of pledges did) and that got them an outright majority, but they got 40-odd per cent in the following election and they actually lost ground in the Commons.

Some guy called Jeremy Hunt is the new Foreign minister. Good guy/Bad guy? Competent/Incompetent? Any opinions?
The NHS are not so keen on him, after him being in charge for the last 6 years. He forced a new contract on them that no-one wanted and is not considered likely to improve care. He probably will get on well with Trump.

He's the longest-serving Health Secretary in British history, but amassed quite the fan-base, shall we say, for his actions.

So, really, is Jeremy Hunt's sting of promotions over the years a result of the Peter principle, or of the Dilbert principle? I really cannot tell by now.

Well, since he managed to get promoted beyond his most famous (and long-lasting) job, I don't think it's the Peter principle.

So Treeza wants to save the NHS then? Nice.

Gazing into my crystal ball, I predict that May will continue to claim the moral high ground relative to other world leaders despite the fact that she formed a government with the DUP.

If May had any principles, the moment the backbenchers finally decide to hold a vote of no confidence she could just send in some much needed legislation for Northern Ireland. So she won't.

You're not remembering the point that the Tories got about a third of the total vote in 2015 (slightly more than Labour and their stone of pledges did) and that got them an outright majority, but they got 40-odd per cent in the following election and they actually lost ground in the Commons.

There was a review of boundaries that started a few years ago, the so-called
Sixth Periodic Review.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixth_Periodic_Review_of_Westminster_constituencies

The Parliamentary Constituencies (Amendment) Bill 2017-19, most recently debated
in 2017, aims to replace the Sixth Periodic Review with an entirely new process
in time for the Next United Kingdom general election.

Any bets on whether that is going to be accurate? :)

I guess your point is going over my head now.

What are the chances that Jacob Rees-Mogg becomes prime minister ?
I don't know if I want to lve in that world, but I absolutely want to see it. I want so see him getting anlong with Trump for about two weeks until the inevitable falling out. Can't wait to hear Trump's insults for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom