UK Politics - Weeny, Weedy, Weaky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Accusing Tory MPs of tactical voting seems to invoke that old wisdom, "do not attribute to malice what may be satisfactorily explained by stupidity".

or by habit and tradition

The Tory MP, Antoinette Sandbach, has apparently been receiving threatening messages, telling her to leave the party. Hasn't anyone noticed that the Tories are down to a working majority of just three? Are these people really that stupid?

Accusing Tory MPs of tactical voting seems to invoke that old wisdom, "do not attribute to malice what may be satisfactorily explained by stupidity".

It seems like a surefire way of avoiding being a victim of it would be to get over a third of the vote

the empire with a worse colonial record than ours
Only because the British wrote the history books. It is remarkable how so many personal adventures were morally condemned and yet the Crown and Parliament never seem willing to give back what was stolen (lands, cultural artifacts, slaves, etc.) or take back/compensate for what was given (drugs, arms, artificial borders and what-not).

The Belgians might have done more cringeworthy things, but the scale of devastation the British Empire has wrought on the world is far, far greater, probably because it was more successful in extending itself across both time and space.

As long as politicians are able to gain votes by saying ‘I am proud of our Empire’ then that alone is enough to damn the whole polity.
Informative (for an ignorant Yank like me, anyway) piece on what to expect from PM BoJo:
https://jacobinmag.com/2019/06/bori...8cFpljdt724vfciwbikcAXh764zEZnyn8mPdtlU_lqWyc
It says ‘Favors for wealthy donors, white-elephant vanity projects, and a carousel of controversies. Welcome to Boris Johnson, prime minister.’

What do you think British politics has been all these years, then?
or by habit and tradition
‘Or’?

... yet the Crown and Parliament never seem willing to give back what was stolen (lands, cultural artifacts, slaves, etc.) ......

Well I have heard about the Grecian marbles, but where exactly are those stolen lands and slaves we are keeping?

Why do you feel the need to defend a state who's actions have led to the world we have today? Or at the very least run damage control?

The British empire was monstrous and the Nazis literally got the idea of concentration camps from the British.

Why do you feel the need to defend a state who's actions have led to the world we have today? Or at the very least run damage control?

The British empire was monstrous and the Nazis literally got the idea of concentration camps from the British.

And the British got the idea from the Spanish.
Really worst empire contests are pathetic.
None of them (including the US) are anything to be proud of.

Really worst empire contests are pathetic.
Yes, but the issue is that there's still a lot of people who think the British Empire was a Good Thing™. And that is the type of thinking that sooner or later leads up to voting for austerity, for selling weapons to dictators, to making the country a money laundering hole, to still be a monarchy with a divinely-appointed ruler, one entirely unelected House of Parliament and one so imperfectly elected as to be a joke, to have no such thing as a Constitution, to still have colonies on its doorstep (Ireland, please), and still think that it's right and proper and we should just carry on.

Now, the Empire is an ongoing enterprise. Just because the UK has magnanimously decided to stop enforcing its legal claim to about a quarter of the world's total land surface does not mean that it won't stop selling their inhabitants weapons and military advisors, that their natural resources aren't still at the service of the developed economies, that their businesses aren't traded in and financed by the City, and that this, together with ongoing brain drain, does not result in a net transfer of wealth from poorer to richer.
The old system of British elites making business deals, to the detriment of their own people, with foreign elites, to the detriment of those elites' own people, goes on uninterrupted. The Empire has merely gotten more subtle at it, morphing from high-handed imperialism to multinational and transnational corporations, as Dr. Evil's #2 would say.

(yes, I'm channelling a bit of Traitorfish's Marxism, but that happens sometimes -I'll stop now lest I wake up in windy, chilly, wet weather… oh wait, it's winter here)

One can oppose the excesses of the British Empire without having to be a republican, you know.

Lots of Irish people manage it, apparently.

One can oppose the excesses of the British Empire without having to be a republican, you know.

Honestly, give it a go though

Yes, but you need to have a TARDIS because the British Empire does not now actually exist.

Someone should probably tell the people at the Telegraph that.

I am not convnced that Boris Johnson will be PM for more than a day to a week or two.

He will likely still defeat Jeremy Hunt but be so weakened in the process that the
conservative Remainer MPs will thwart him and the pact with the DUP will unravel.

The ERG were fully behind us leaving the EU, right? If it's morally acceptable to vote against the Withdrawal Agreement because "that's not what people voted for", it's absolutely acceptable to vote against No Deal because no politician ever promised that prior to the referendum.

I am not convnced that Boris Johnson will be PM for more than a day to a week or two.

He will likely still defeat Jeremy Hunt but be so weakened in the process that the
conservative Remainer MPs will thwart him and the pact with the DUP will unravel.

looking at new recent polls Boris' popularity is shrinking indeed.

In case of an election on a short term...
If no special beneficial events happen, he will not, and Hunt will not be able to get enough seats to have a majority together with the Brexit party.
Boris does however limit the damage for the amount of Tory seats lost compared to Hunt.

If this current shrinking trend would continue, the Tories cannot hope anymore that an election is an escape forward for their party with a Boris-Hunt PM-ship.

Hammond ?

We have still a highly outsider procedure I understand from an article
Theresa May can decide NOT to resign because she judges that a new PM will not have the confidence of the House.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom