US Capitol Breached

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Europe and haven’t been following news closely. Could you please link the speech in question?

Have you tried googling Trump twitter ban ?

US President Donald Trump's Twitter account permanently suspended over violence risk after Capitol riot
The platform cited two tweets posted by Mr Trump on January 8, which it said "must be read in the context of broader events in the country and the ways in which the President's statements can be mobilised by different audiences, including to incite violence".

In one, the President wrote the "great American patriots" who voted for him "will have a giant voice long into the future", adding "they will not be disrespected or treated unfairly in any way, shape or form".

It was followed by a second tweet shortly thereafter, in which Mr Trump said he would not attend the inauguration of president-elect Joe Biden on January 20.

Twitter Safety said it had determined the tweets were in violation of its glorification of violence policy, opting to permanently suspend the President from its service.

"President Trump's statement that he will not be attending the inauguration is being received by a number of his supporters as further confirmation that the election was not legitimate and is seen as him disavowing his previous claim made via two Tweets ... that there would be an 'orderly transition' on January 20th," the statement said.

"The second Tweet may also serve as encouragement to those potentially considering violent acts that the inauguration would be a 'safe' target, as he will not be attending."

Twitter has also suspended Mr Trump's campaign account @TeamTrump for violating its rules. After his main channel was shut down, the President wrote a post on the account that was quickly deleted.

That came after he tried to post on the official account for the President of the United States, @POTUS.

The President, who later referred those responsible as "very special" and continued to repeat baseless claims about election fraud, has been widely accused of inciting the violence, including by members of his own party.

It said the tweets were "likely to inspire others to replicate the violent acts that took place on January 6, 2021", and that there were "multiple indicators that they are being received and understood as encouragement to do so".

Tech giants have scrambled to crack down on baseless claims about the presidential election in the wake of the Capitol riot, prompting Apple to write to Parler — a social networking site, popular among Mr Trump's supporters — over "complaints regarding objectionable content", including accusations it was used to "plan, coordinate, and facilitate" the attack.

In an email obtained by Buzzfeed, the company said the app "appears to continue to be used to plan and facilitate yet further illegal and dangerous activities", and asked it to submit a "moderation improvement plan" with 24 hours, or risk being removed from the app store.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01...unt-permanently-suspend-capital-riot/13044570

Last edited:
Have you seen the new Parsnip-elect? -- an old man shouting at a camera.

and implying the people protecting him are racists... But the good news is with Trump's departure we'll have Joe to provide the comedy.

It was an attempted coup, let's not try and normalize this. If the congressmen had not been able to evacuate in time they would have been taken hostage or killed.

There would have been return fire if you were right. Or initiating fire. Or a way through barricades. There were certainly guns present. But I doubt that matters for purposes of discussion.

They would have been given a severe tongue lashing

Well i think you just won the dumbest take of the thread sweepstakes, your reward is 1000 extra post count

But you couldn't offer up a rebuttal?

Every time someone tries to bring a different perspective into this discussion, they're met with insults, rather than actual debate.

This has become a dangerous echo chamber.

Just be careful that on your run from one attempted dictatorship you don't run into the arms of another one.

He's been enjoying the warm embrace of mass murderers for years

A badly conceived, poorly executed, failed, attempted coup, is still an an attempted coup. But ultimately, it doesn't matter whether you call it a "coup", or "insurrection" or "riot that led to the breech of the Capitol and disruption of the certification of the election"...

The bottom line is that it was very, very bad, and actions should be taken to make sure that it does not happen again ever... or at least for a very long time. So if calling it a coup, does that, fine... other names that accomplish the same thing... just as good... but I flatly reject any attempt to downplay it... including giving it a less serious sounding name.

So coup it is... or was that very very bad? You spent months downplaying violent protests damaging the economic bases of neighborhoods across the country.

Sen Murkowski says if Trump won't resign, she will reconsider her membership in the GOP

Didn't see that coming... I thought Manchin might jump to the GOP but she could go to the Dems or become independent.

Trump can say anything he wants any time he wants; denial of private platforms is not denial of speech.

He cant say what he wants on their platform, thats a given. Whether or not its justified (or hypocritical) is another matter but it is a denial of speech.

I think someone farted, again.

in your general direction

its exactly this and revoking section 230 would make it much worse not better, but good luck telling them, they're forking braindead.

How does letting big tech censor people based on the ambitions of their political benefactors help? We got 4 years of Russiagate lies and conspiracies permeating these platforms and now the Democrats want to censor people because of disinformation? And this is not about private platforms making these decisions, people in power have been telling them to censor people or else.

You CAN be banned in this forum if you violate the rules... dose that means this forum is against freedom of speech?

Yes

Gaslight
Obstruct
Project <----- we are here now

The mental gymnastic it takes to defend Trump, and accuse the democrats of staging the "real coup"

I didn't defend Trump, I accused the Dems. Lying to a Fisa court to spy on Trump and impeaching him for investigating corrupt Democrats was the real coup.

Will be fun, if Trump moves to VK, Russia-based social network :)
Twitter ban may actually invoke Streizand effect.

I mean I miss Web 1.0 as much as any other person who was online in the 90s but revoking 230 isn't the way to go. Breaking up these companies is the way to go. Revoking 230 hurts everyone, it would hurt this forum and every forum.

Its true it would be a complete and unmitigated disaster, it will never happen. buit it makes for a sweet reversal of the positions, so I like it as a hot take.

I didn't defend Trump, I accused the Dems. Lying to a Fisa court to spy on Trump and impeaching him for investigating corrupt Democrats was the real coup.

Investigation Trump is coup
How do you feel about Benghazi ?

Trump denied activation of the national guard, while telling hes armed, supporters to goto the captial and celebrated while the secret service had to kill in order to protect the Vice President.

There is also Telegram messenger, which Russia unsuccessfully tried to ban until last year.
A lot of options for Trump to communicate with his supporters!

I was going to leave this alone but...

Most of you guys are acting crazy! You have pissed off and vindictive people in your congress, it's not just the outgoing president. And are voicing your support for the to vent their anger by trampling whatever scraps of constitution and civil rights you still have remaining.

Statehood for DC: it's unconstitutional, you would simply ignore the constitution. Always nice to have another precedent for that huh?
Talking of treason: you'll have ever more draconian and arbitrary laws.

It's crazy. Your country is sunk into a load of trouble already and you think you can solve it by handing even more power to the same people who have been digging the hole? You're basically calling for an Enabling Act - persecute "traitors" and break the constitution - and enabling act for... whom? Have you stopped to think? Is there even anyone good ready to take advantage of it, in whom you trust?

You're bloody lucky that this apparently wasn't planned and nobody had legislation ready to seize the heat of the moment and ride it. Perhaps. Yet to see in the next few days. Else under cover of responding to an alleged coup you'd end up with another, and some day whatever enabling act got passed now would be used against you.

Investigation Trump is coup. How do you feel about Benghazi ?

Lying to a Fisa court to spy on Trump and impeaching him for investigating corrupt Democrats was the coup. I think what we did to Libya was a war crime. As for Benghazi, I believe the ambassador who was killed there was facilitating the transfer of Libyan weapons to be used by Syrian terrorists so I dont feel good at all.

Why are you here? Go away if you think this forum is against Freedom of speech.

If you dont love the country, git out! I dont have freedom of speech in many places, am I required to leave them too? You asked if we had freedom of speech in a forum that can ban us. Isn't the answer obvious?

The best form of defense is attack.

Jesus didn't defend the adulteress, he attacked the Pharisees.

This "law and order" bloodlust against the partisan enemies is as crazy as the defund the police idiocy 6 months ago. And shows perfectly why the people who called for one and now the other can't get anything going their way: they're incapable of planning for the future!

Edit: typo defend->defund

Last edited:
Will Trump resign in exchange for a pardon from Pence? The penalty for his crimes this week would likely involve prison time. He does not want that. No stylist!

So he can't pardon himself?
He seems to be surprised that people act differently towards him now that he is (really) no longer president.

If you dont love the country, git out! I dont have freedom of speech in many places, am I required to leave them too? You asked if we had freedom of speech in a forum that can ban us. Isn't the answer obvious?
Freedom=/=chaos.
What you are saying is that we need ZERO rules and let people do/say whatever hell they want. EVEN IF SAID PERSON IS ENCOURAGING A RIOT.
Freedom comes with responsiblity. If you can't be responsible you don't deserve freedom.

Freedom=/=chaos.
What you are saying is that we need ZERO rules and let people do/say whatever hell they want. EVEN IF SAID PERSON IS ENCOURAGING A RIOT.
Freedom comes with responsiblity. If you can't be responsible you don't deserve freedom.

"My reasons to riot are more important than your reasons" usually isn't seen as valid by the other side.
While this was too ridiculous to be even considered as a "coup" - when something has zero chance of succeeding, it's not a coup, and this wasn't even planned to succeed - using it as a red flag to show how "the other side" is terrible will naturally only lead to more hatred. Which in turn will lead to more riots.
I wonder how Biden will handle right-wing riots, if they are anything close to BLM-Antifa. Do you think they should be dealt the same way, more harshly or less harshly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom