[NFP] Vietnam & Kublai Khan Developer Livestream Discussion

25 Gold (not 25%!?) seems... very lackluster. I’ve certainly had games where in the industrial and later I’m earning in the upper hundreds or even thousands of GPT. For securing every copy of a resource across the globe, I’d hope for something more than half an extra trade route.

Well, you get 25 gold per turn for the monopoly and then another 5 gold per turn for each civilization that you're trading that resource to. Or something like that. That's not bad, really. You're already getting lots of other benefits from the monopoly.

So Amazon and Starbucks (corporations with supposed monopolies) aren't real either? :mischief:
I knew I should have put a tongue in cheek smiley in that sentence, because of my usual habits to point the immersion breaking elements of the game.

Well, you get 25 gold per turn for the monopoly and then another 5 gold per turn for each civilization that you're trading that resource to.

The way they worded it was just 5 per trade route, no mention of the resource. But I did understand that from the original video, though.

For those of you who are more visual, here is a chart summarizing the resource bonuses:

Let me know if there are any inaccuracies.

I missed the civilian bonuses before - I think it’s a bit too late to help settlers much, but the bonus to builders and military engineers will be very nice. If you have one of the luxuries it will be great to spam military engineers and get super cheap aqueducts, dams, and sea walls.

Also that city should def have liang and go “builder printer go brrrrrrrr”

I missed the civilian bonuses before - I think it’s a bit too late to help settlers much, but the bonus to builders and military engineers will be very nice. If you have one of the luxuries it will be great to spam military engineers and get super cheap aqueducts, dams, and sea walls.

Also that city should def have liang and go “builder printer go brrrrrrrr”

It's a bit amusing how the minable resources don't grant any production bonuses.

For those of you who are more visual, here is a chart summarizing the resource bonuses:

Let me know if there are any inaccuracies.

Edit: There is a grammatical error in there. Please ignore.

There appears to be a bit of information that is not consistent in the game. Civilopedia shows Spices granting +15% Science but if you see the time stamp on 12:04 it shows it actually granting +20% Culture. :hmm:

There appears to be bit of information that is not consistent in the game. Civilopedia shows Spices granting +15% but if you see the time stamp on 12:04 it shows it actually granting +20% Culture. :hmm:
So I wasn't going crazy. That's good to know.

It's a bit amusing how the minable resources don't grant any production bonuses.

That's almost certainly to diversify their uses. Rather than doubling down on production, I presume they want the mined resources to provide a bonus to a different sector of your economy.

Edit: To be clear, this does not appear to be the pattern for the resources in other improvement categories, but this does seem to hold up for Mines at least.

Last edited:
Well, we don't really use Diamonds, Jades, Slivers, and Mercuries in actual industrial production, not to say Ambers and Salts.
Diamonds are integral to industrial drills, but originally diamonds that weren't gem-quality were used and now synthetic diamonds fill the roll. Silver has applications in electronics.

Also, come to think of it, Citrus for Military Production might be a reference to how they can treat scurvy.
Probably, and the Cotton would be a reference to cotton armor. Tobacco giving bonuses to military is a weird one to me, though. Seems to me it should either be Faith or Culture.

I'm sure the Whales are a reference to whale oil, but I really want a War Whale unique unit now. :mischief:

That's almost certainly to diversify their uses. Rather than doubling down on production, I presume they want the mined resources to provide a bonus to a different sector of your economy.

Edit: To be clear, this does not appear to be the pattern for the resources in other improvement categories, but this does seem to hold up for Mines at least.

I think it was more that they were trying as much as they could to put things in semi-logical categories. Amber is used sort of religiously, so makes some sense as a faith boost. And then DIamond/Silver/Jade are mostly used in Jewelry, so more of a pure gold thing. Mercury is obviously associated with scientific research, so makes sense in that mark. Marble and Gypsum are used as building materials, so they make some sense there.

Sometimes they stretch things. Oranges being in Military almost certainly related to their anti-scurvy uses in the past. And otherwise looks like they tried to make sure that there weren't more than 4 luxuries in any bucket. I would imagine Tobacco would otherwise be maybe a faith bonus resource, (or maybe culture in the same theory that Coffee is there), but those got filled, so you can sort of imagine tobacco I dunno being used by soldiers in trenches, or that the Tobacco Industry funds the military Industrial complex? I dunno - probably just a "well, nothing really works". Although now that I check back, I see military is actually the category with 5 items in it, so curious there.

Top Bottom