• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Warhammer Fantasy Mod 2.0

Yes the file in in the right place, and got the right link. But it still doesnt work :p .

Solved now, but only when I took the Fire catapult folder from Rise of rome and put it in the WH-mod units folder.

Well since it works here and in other people's comps, it means you have different directory structure... ie. you moved some of your conquests folders or placed WH-Mod.biq in folder other than Conquests/Scenarios ... or else. It is illegal to re-distribute conquests units, so that strange linking is the only way to use them in a distributed mod.

Originally posted by embryodead
It is illegal to re-distribute conquests units, so that strange linking is the only way to use them in a distributed mod.

:eek: REALLY?? That means Iv'e got some serious rewriting to do. Do we know that for sure? What about vanilla Civ3 units.

Ah, ok, well doesnt matter. And thanks for a great mod.

I think I somehow managed to put some files in very strange directories. For example I still cant "retire" because the game will complain about missing CONQ leaderheads. :crazyeye:

Maybe its whatever got installed from the full 100+ meg zip file that I couldnt be arsed to remove thats causing the problems.

Anyway, thanks for the great mod, I really enjoyed it. Only thing I can think of complaining about is that the different AI factions dont seem to wage wars.

Hello embryodead,

I don't see a problem here. You get more powerful vampires and can upgrade the old ones. Then, you still have enslave. When I turn off upgrades, people are complaining that they can't upgrade

Oops, vampires can upgrade? I never even tried this. Then they are even stronger. However my problem is that Sylvania doesn't have a pikeman, and as vampires aren't availlable as defenders anymore, and vampirelords take very long to build, I have difficulties defending against cavalry attacks, I have to attack myself instead.

Leaders - yes, you are correct, the limitation of one leader for all civs is pretty irritating from modder's point of view and I also don't see a way to upgrade them further (unless to kings).

In the beta version of my mod leaders do upgrade to kings. Not to the normal kings, but to other units with the king flag. Those units require a special tech and several luxory ressources, so it won't be easy to get these 'nobles'.

I will remain with the usual use of leaders, however I added some wonder-produced leaders ie. Grand Cathedral of Sigmar produces Grand Theogonist once per 24 turns. Grand Theogonist can fight or finish standard improvement or small wonder.

That's a good idea. I'll have to rework my wonders to reflect this.

I also plan to add one more hero produced by wonder, this time with combat and build-army ability (that's Yoda's idea).

I'm not sure if this will work. If a army already has statistics of it's own, will they be added to the statistics of the units?

Worth noting is that you can have race-specific leaders (in terms of unit graphics) if you use civ-specific tech trees with each era available only to one civ-group.
This was a plan for Warhammer 40K mod in which one era was imperial, with space marine leader, one orcish era with orc leader and so on.

That's difficult, I already have very full tech trees, so such a split won't be possible unless there's a way to add a 5th aera.

(on victory points)
The problem is that you are referring to standard civ3 rules You must complain to Firaxis on this one - I didn't change victory point conditions at all. I consider VP play as feature for scenarios not random maps, and I won't work on scenarios
until 2.0 is finished and tested.

Sure, I would prefer victory points disabled in random maps, but as soon as you use one of the victory scenarios (capture the flag, regicide, ...), victory points are enabled. However I'll set the amount to an unreachable number, so when you finally reach your goal, you can check the number of victory points reached to compare your score to other players as there's no HOF.

I guess I can change this, I didn't think of Winged Lancers in any other way than knights flavor unit for Kislev. That horse archer animation belongs to Ungols now
(new faction in 2.0) while Kislev has usual cavalry (until someone makes suitable unit). Maybe take 2 points of defense from Lancers and add 1 movement? That would
make them 8.4.3 (compared to 8.6.2 Knight and 6.3.3 Cavalry/Horse Archer).

Sure, they were always fast as they were only lightly armored.
I just saw you doubled the combat values for 2.0, probably to have slightly different troops for different races. Have you also thought of doubling movement and movement cost, so the 'ignores movement cost of XXX' makes more sense for tundra? You would also have to tweak the roads, but in my playtests this worked fine. You could also give such features for plains/grassland if you do this. However I have a problem with the Blitz ability.

This is quite right. There are only 4 wonders causing pollution, and you are informed by its hazards in civilopedia.

That's right, and I know I built two of them, however more than two of my cities are producing pollution. I guess all pollution I have is pollution from high population, but it isn't shown in the city window. Maybe you changed the pollution icon or even removed it? I had no time to check any files other than the bic yet.

It is not possible - bonus resources can not be prerequisites for anything. Luxuries can, but this limitation is valid for them as well (no more than 8 will show up).
This isn't really much of a problem, just a visual glitch and every mod with bigger set of resources has to live with it.

Yes, but it is quite difficult for small ressources like coal. As the icon can hardly be seen, I have difficulties checking my territory to see how many coal I have. Maybe you could chenge the coal icon so make it bigger? I started giving away wolves/raptors/camels as presents just to get them out of my ressource box.

Again, thanks for input. I'll be running closed beta-test of WH-Mod 2.0 soon, feel free to join then to discuss new features and overall shape of the mod

Sure, just send me an email when you are ready. And tell me which civs to test.

thanks again for your addicting mod

Jegron

This mod is great fun and I've been playing mostly as the Empire since that was my army before.
To the point: In Steph's thread '86 units from Cossacks' there is a unit called the Polish Winged Hussar, which is essentially identical to the Kislev Winged Lancer. I assume this is where the GW people got their idea. Anyway, there's no download link so it's probably not completed but I thought to remind you of it.
Waiting for version 2.0,
Gisli

Originally posted by jegron
Oops, vampires can upgrade? I never even tried this. Then they are even stronger. However my problem is that Sylvania doesn't have a pikeman, and as vampires aren't availlable as defenders anymore, and vampirelords take very long to build, I have difficulties defending against cavalry attacks, I have to attack myself instead.

Oops, should have checked that. I marked them so in 2.0, though in fact they can't upgrade in 1.1 ;) We'll see - I can make the vampires not becoming obsolete and let beta-testers decide which is better.

I'm not sure if this will work. If a army already has statistics of it's own, will they be added to the statistics of the units?

It works - you're probably thinking of something more than it is. I'm just refering to wonder-produced leader than can build usual armies, same what victory-produced leader does. It's the leader that has stats, the army itself is the same.

I just saw you doubled the combat values for 2.0, probably to have slightly different troops for different races. Have you also thought of doubling movement and movement cost, so the 'ignores movement cost of XXX' makes more sense for tundra? You would also have to tweak the roads, but in my playtests this worked fine. You could also give such features for plains/grassland if you do this. However I have a problem with the Blitz ability.

Yes I thought of it, but it causes more problems than advantages. Retreat is no longer a trait (as everyone has it) which was a bonus for cavalry, air units and elves before; and as you noted Blitz becomes quite unusuable (my Vampires would attack stacks 4 times per turn, give it to something that normally moves 3 tiles, and it can attack 6 times!).

That's right, and I know I built two of them, however more than two of my cities are producing pollution. I guess all pollution I have is pollution from high population, but it isn't shown in the city window. Maybe you changed the pollution icon or even removed it? I had no time to check any files other than the bic yet.

No, pollution from overpopulation is disabled. Pollution can be caused by: Chaos Node, Pillar of Skulls, Cursed Pit and Ironworks. Note than "pollution" is also generated by erupting volcanos.
As for the icon, yes I removed it. I may place some kind of skull there if it is such a problem. It could represent certain amount of "evil" in the population :)

Yes, but it is quite difficult for small ressources like coal. As the icon can hardly be seen, I have difficulties checking my territory to see how many coal I have. Maybe you could chenge the coal icon so make it bigger? I started giving away wolves/raptors/camels as presents just to get them out of my ressource box.

Damn, I don't know what's with people's eyes. Everyone complained about that, that's why Coal icon changed with PTW. I think the new icon is more visible, but ugly, that's why I used the old one. BTW I always check how many resources I have in Trade Advisor screen (F2 i think). Of course it may get messy too if you have lots of resources, but then you don't need to check them ;)

Originally posted by Gisli
To the point: In Steph's thread '86 units from Cossacks' there is a unit called the Polish Winged Hussar, which is essentially identical to the Kislev Winged Lancer. I assume this is where the GW people got their idea.

It's true. Actually in Poland, we learn about Winged Hussars in school :) Wings were used mainly as decoration, though it is also believed that they could cause fear in enemy troops (not horses though, it's a myth) - not directly, but as a symbol of the most powerful cavalry of that time. They were indeed famous - for example mercenary armies had the right to refuse fighting against polish hussars in open field...

Originally posted by Amesjustin

:eek: REALLY?? That means Iv'e got some serious rewriting to do. Do we know that for sure? What about vanilla Civ3 units.

Yes I am certain. This is simple legal issue - a company can't allow players to publish even small parts of something that they hope to sell. This isn't really a problem though, unless you want for example to make a m-unit of C3C unit. That's not yet allowed AFAIK, though a chat with some Firaxian may help. Vanilla Civ3 and PTW units generally can be re-distributed since C3C is out.

@Isembard

I need several maps:
- Map of the Warhammer World (probably 160x160 or 180x180), including absolutely everything, though the bottom of lustria/southlands and southern chaos wastes should be chopped off).
- Map of the "Center", this is already done (WH-World), I just need to cut a bit off the left and right side with the new MapTweaker utility.
- Small map containing only Naggaroth and Ulthuan for Elven Civil War scenario.
- Medium or Large map of the Old World, stopping at World's Edge Mountains, including Araby, Norsca and a bit of Chaos Wastes (only to place there some special, chaotic NPC unit-factories). No Ulthuan of course. This is for "The Rise of the Empire"; the idea is to have larger scale and more detail than in the current world map, so that The Empire has 15-20 cities not 6.
- Small Map of Far East, from Ind to Nippon, including Northern Steppes and a bit of Chaos Wastes to put similiar chaotic NPC there.

I can not promise I'll finally use your map, though if we cooperate (read: you will accept my constant whining :) ) it may turn out well. I have all kinds of source maps if you need them, including some converted to coloured outlines for BMP2BIC utility. Make sure you have than one, and new MapTweaker too (1st one works on BIC, second on BIX... but it works ok to do it from BMP -> BIC -> BIX -> BIQ). MapTweaker allows copy'n'pasting and non-destructive resizing of maps, it's god-sent. Finally, thanks ;)

I have no real problem with whining, since i have a tendency to do it too, sometimes ;)

For maps, i've obtained pretty much all i didn't already have through some internet search, with multiple sources (some of those maps were quite frankly extraordinarily strange...)

I'll concentrate on that map of the old world without ulthuan and naggaroth, then :) I'll let you know...

...As for the icon, yes I removed it. I may place some kind of skull there if it is such a problem. It could represent certain amount of "evil" in the population :)...

What do you think of this slimy skull?

Looks like its made out of some kind of jelly :D .

Anyway, Embryodead. Could you please tell me where the randomleaderhead_CONQ.whatever files are located? ;) . My computer has problems locating the files youve redirected such as the fire catapult and longship etc.

Originally posted by Gabryel Karolin
Looks like its made out of some kind of jelly :D .

Anyway, Embryodead. Could you please tell me where the randomleaderhead_CONQ.whatever files are located? ;) . My computer has problems locating the files youve redirected such as the fire catapult and longship etc.

These are not redirected. They are in "Art/Leaderheads" folders of Civilization 3, CIV3PTW, Conquests and the mod itself. There is really no other place to put them, these are the default.

Btw, Embroydead, if i might make a small suggestion for new/updated units in the 2.0 version : you might want to make the Dwarven King unti separate to normal units, because he doesn't stand out and appear as a real king...If you have time to do new unit models, you might want to try something like a real kingly figure, for example like High King Thorgrim Grudgebearer, on his throneof Power, carrying the axe of Grungni and the Book of Grudges... Just a suggestion from a dwarf-maniac ;)

The old world map is almost done, too, i'm just adding ressources...

This is my Map of the Old World. it works only with Embroydead's mod, of course...

New features are, for the moment, the Dwarven hills (landmark mountains), providing some more food than normal hills in those areas the dwarves have settled.

Comments, questions, remarks, corrections to ask for the map, i think you cna post them here :)

I'll soon add to this map known cities for a quicker and more dynamic scenario...

EDIT : New map, with more mountains, only boneland to the east :) Map with cities upcoming...

Attachments

• isembard\'s_old_world_map.zip
    77.7 KB · Views: 152
These are few comments after the first glance
- it's really big... 180x180 is good for world map, though for the scenario I was thinking of it's much too big. I know however, that they are people who will enjoy this much more than ie. my previous map since they prefer huge maps and this one will allow longer gameplay.
- khemri looks good, it was good idea to mix swamps, plains and flood plains.
- those wastelands east of world's egde mountains could be cut off (I plan to do the same with my old map)
- I'm not really happy about the geography of Albion and Norsca though I admit I don't know any official detailed map of these areas (I used the ones from Strike-to-Stun)
- I'd put a lot more of mountains. thick mountain chains fill up the space and make serious borders.
- Loren shouldn't start in Ancient Forest (I mean the tile) because by default this terrain type has roads disabled. If a capital is built on Ancient Forest, no roads will connect to it, which will bury wood elves for good (unless you change that rule)

I know the size is a problem, and noticed this after starting on it.

But indeed, i find it a bit much better than your previous map, because it is easier to exapnd and make greater empires. I'll replace wasteland with boneland at the east of the World's Edge mountains, then, because it is also true that if people don't deactivate settlers, the AI will go making useless cities everywhere...

I'll try and increase the mountains too :) As for Norsca and Albion, i used different sources for those ,and tried to regroup them as best i could...Some portrayed Albion much more like the UK, some not, etc...I thought the spearh-head shape looked relatively nice ;)

Btw, i tried adding the cities to the map through the documents i have, but sadly some of the cities on your city list, for namely the Empire and Bretonnia, are not on my maps...Would it be possible for you to send me the maps on which you could see those cities ?

I also have absolutely no idea how to make the Chaos territory...I couldn't just let it be all tundra :/

Imperial cities are taken from "WFRP Index, compiled by Ian Ward, 1997", in which about hundred cities/towns/villages are taken from "DotR Poster", the most detailed map of the Empire. Unfortunately I do not have it :(

Bretonnian cities, apart from the "core", are from unofficial resources. Together with Estalia, Tilea, Kislev, Norsca and other place "forgotten" by GW, most comes from warhammer.net or Strike-to-Stun (compiled @ http://www.madalfred.darcore.net/ ) These lo-fi, hand-drawn are in fact popular, and not totally fictional - based on WFRP/Battle, short stories etc., even Hogshead used one in Marienburg SDtR.

From things that I think are not available on the net anymore, I have a badly scanned Hogshead Poster if you want it. It shows about 30 imperial cities. With this you can use Critical-Hit Gazetteers (I used it for empire city list too), which lists villages near each big city/town. Or you can just use MadAlfred empire maps, they give the same + more.

Top Bottom