• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

What Book Are You Reading XV - The Pile Keeps Growing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just started Chasing New Horizons: Inside the Epic First Mission to Pluto. It will be my inaugural '23 read.

Also greeting the new year with a new book, The Bear: History of a Fallen King by Michel Pastoureau. It explores the role of the bear as a central figure in the culture and religion of pre-Christian Northern Europe, and its subsequent marginalisation and demonisation in Christian Europe. Technically started in 2022, but who's counting?

Also greeting the new year with a new book, The Bear: History of a Fallen King by Michel Pastoureau. It explores the role of the bear as a central figure in the culture and religion of pre-Christian Northern Europe, and its subsequent marginalisation and demonisation in Christian Europe. Technically started in 2022, but who's counting?
Hm, I don't recall any state having a bear as its emblem - but it would make sense. Loads have/had lions and eagles - but only the best had bicephal eagles :smug:
The bear probably is more barbaric as a symbol - even the lion is supposed to be majestic, since it (the male) barely hunts and is just in the top of the food chain.
In Greek myth, I think significant bears only appear as Thracian-related beings, unlike (even) boars. Speaking of boars, one would expect that to be the emblem of Calydon, not "Ionians".

1672614576471.png

(not that the above looks legit; why would the Etrurians have the Chimera?)

Last edited:
Hm, I don't recall any state having a bear as its emblem - but it would make sense. Loads have/had lions and eagles - but only the best had bicephal eagles :smug:
The bear probably is more barbaric as a symbol - even the lion is supposed to be majestic, since it (the male) barely hunts and is just in the top of the food chain.
In Greek myth, I think significant bears only appear as Thracian-related beings, unlike (even) boars.

View attachment 649427

Not a state, but Madrid's emblem, includes a bear. Legend says that a medieval Castillian king, whose name I can not remember, hunted a bear in the area, and in consequence it was included.

California is bigger than many nations and has a bear on its flag.

So the flagbearers bear a flag which bears a bear?

In Greek myth, I think significant bears only appear as Thracian-related beings, unlike (even) boars.

View attachment 649427

Those look suspiciously like the leaderheads for a scenario called Hegemon.

Those look suspiciously like the leaderheads for a scenario called Hegemon.
I doubt that Epirus had a stymphalian bird (or what that is) as its emblem ^^ Stymphalos being in the Arcadia and all (let alone those birds being antagonistic to a hero).
Some of the emblems I do recognize as tied to the respected states, including Thebes (club of Herakles), Athens, Macedonia, Sparta, Crete (the Labrys) and the triscelion which was a common Greek symbol in Sicily (here used by Syracuse).

 Triskelion is one of those few Greek words that entered the language without being Latinised first. ;)

After finishing book 7 of The Expanse, Persepolis Rising, I paused to look at the list of other books I'd bought over the holidays. But who am I kidding? I dove right into book 8, Tiamat's Wrath.

I doubt that Epirus had a stymphalian bird (or what that is) as its emblem ^^ Stymphalos being in the Arcadia and all (let alone those birds being antagonistic to a hero).
Some of the emblems I do recognize as tied to the respected states, including Thebes (club of Herakles), Athens, Macedonia, Sparta, Crete (the Labrys) and the triscelion which was a common Greek symbol in Sicily (here used by Syracuse).
Clearly we need more research into the Epirotes' emblemata.
 Triskelion is one of those few Greek words that entered the language without being Latinised first. ;)
‘Few’ meaning only about 5% of the total English vocabulary.

Essential Quantitative Methods for Business, Management, and Finance by Les Oakshott is a textbook designed to bring someone with only knowledge of basic arithmetic up to speed on the subject matter. It begins from decimals and fractions and works its way through statistics, data analysis, and business decision-making with chapter-opening Case Studies based on real-world (UK) examples and practice questions with answers recorded in the companion website. Excel and SPSS are also examined as data analysis packages, with the 2018 7th edition updating to Excel 2019.

In Greek myth, I think significant bears only appear as Thracian-related beings, unlike (even) boars. Speaking of boars, one would expect that to be the emblem of Calydon, not "Ionians".

View attachment 649427

Not even Russia?

Novgorod has two bears on its flag, or at least EU4 Novgorod does. The bear is also on the flag of Berlin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom