What Book Are You Reading XV - The Pile Keeps Growing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just so.

Should I just read the book or stop and look up every word I don’t understand? There is an explanation in the appendix. Kinda kills the flow.

I'm finishing up The Magic Kingdom by Russel Banks. A wonderful novel loosely connected to the land Disney bought as part of Disney World in Florida. It is mostly about Florida around 1900.

I'm in the mood for a classic so I'll have a go at Anna Karenina.
Haven't read it, nor War and Peace. Some of the smaller novels by Tolstoy are very good, though, namely the Kreutzer Sonata and (of course) the Death of Ivan Ilyich. I think those are the only stories by Tolstoy I even remember, apart from the Three Old Men and some other story about a monk who had to cut his own finger.

Anna Karenina is one of those books I didn't expect to ever read, or end up liking at all. But it's a great book. It takes a bit of effort, but it's worth it.

I'm going to change my signature : )

Just so.

Should I just read the book or stop and look up every word I don’t understand? There is an explanation in the appendix. Kinda kills the flow.

You could read the glossary first. Or ask a Dune fan who's read it I forget how many times over the past 40 years. ;)

Actually, in most cases you can infer at least an approximate meaning from the context of the sentence, dialogue, or situation. It also helps to realize that the language used in the Imperium is Galach, a mix of certain Old Earth languages, and some words are a combination of others. The Fremen language's original roots lies in the Arabic dialects of Old Earth. Of course these new forms of the original languages are 20,000 years removed from our present day and have had plenty of time to change.

I just took a peek at my copy of the Dune Encyclopedia and there are a couple of huge articles about the Fremen and Galach languages. Compared to that, the glossary in the novel is the condensed version of Cliff Notes.

Anna Karenina is one of those books I didn't expect to ever read, or end up liking at all. But it's a great book. It takes a bit of effort, but it's worth it.

I'm going to change my signature : )
Yeah it's kinda hard to keep track of all the names. Although that's usually the case for me.

Yeah it's kinda hard to keep track of all the names. Although that's usually the case for me.
1673015205343.png

Just so.

If the meanings of non-English/ invented/ Arab-ish words like "gom jabbar" or "sietch" really aren't clear from context, then yes, it might help to look them up at least once.

I've just finished reading a book called La Dama Oscura (2021) by Argentine author Cristina Pérez, about the titular Dark Lady, identified, at least in this book, with Æmilia Bassano Lanier (IRL it has not been definitely established, as far as I know, whether the two really were one and the same person or not). It's a good book, an interesting story well told, but it would give Synsensa a heart attack to see the number of typos and other editorial oversights. It detracts from the pleasure of reading it.

I am now on to a strange book by Kazuo Ishiguro, Never let me go (2005).

Yesterday I finished reading:

Beyond the Hallowed Sky

a 2021 work by the brilliant scottish sci-fi writer

Ken MacLeod

It posits a world divided into three power blocks where two
blocks have developed FTL, and the third is catching up.

The story includes ancient alien intelligence embedded in rocks,
and ranges from a far away world Apis, Venus and even Scotland.

Book reading: Still reading Duchess of Milan and realizing I have no idea wtf it's actually about. I should probably read up on the real history of the pre-Borgia papacy era.

Online reading: Merlin fanfic. Some is really funny. One really good adventure story was abandoned by its author in 2013 (I really hate it when authors abandon their fanfics; that's why nothing of mine will be posted until it's actually finished).

I also ran across a Firefly story to read later.

Last edited:
Book reading: Still reading Duchess of Milan and realizing I have no idea wtf it's actually about. I should probably read up on the real history of the pre-Borgia papacy era.
Duchess of Milan? Is this one of those by Jean Plaidy?

Duchess of Milan? Is this one of those by Jean Plaidy?
If memory serves, her niche is Plantagenet/Tudor novels. I have some but haven't read them yet.

The author of Duchess of Milan is Michael Ennis.

No, we haven't read the same book about Milan.

(sidenote: Ronan Vibert from The Borgias has died)

Juggling three political biographies at the moment:
Man of the House by Tip O'Neil and William Novak
Traitor to His Class: The Privileged Life and Radical Presidency of Franklin Delano Roosevelt by H.W. Brands
The Path to Power (The Years of Lyndon Johnson Volume I) by Robert A. Caro

Already read the first two, but they're both very engaging to read even if you've read them a thousand times before. Caro is a little bit drier so far, but not too much.

Hm, I don't recall any state having a bear as its emblem - but it would make sense. Loads have/had lions and eagles - but only the best had bicephal eagles :smug:
The bear probably is more barbaric as a symbol - even the lion is supposed to be majestic, since it (the male) barely hunts and is just in the top of the food chain.
In Greek myth, I think significant bears only appear as Thracian-related beings, unlike (even) boars. Speaking of boars, one would expect that to be the emblem of Calydon, not "Ionians".
That's bound up with the thesis, that the hostility of the Christian church to the figure of the bear lead to it being excluded from the emerging symbolism of statehood in Medieval Europe in favour of lions and eagles, which were understood as more appropriate symbols of Christian kingship than the wild, pagan bear which had been exalted by the tribal leaders of the pre-Christian North.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom