What fears have you overcome?

Fear of darkness

Fear of mirrors

Fear of girls

I'm not over my fear of heights.

I overcame the fear of darkness most children have.

I overcame my fear of other people (looking like a fool to them) when I was 15. A friend of mine who had no gift of Philosophy gave me one gem, "I've made a fool of myself a thousand times, I figure 1,001 isn't going to make any difference."

I'm overcoming a fear of Spiders.

Oddly enough, I've always loved Snakes.

Fear of darkness was big, as was fear of heights. Darkness is just a childish one, but the heights I'm more proud of, to the point where I've peed off the edge of a 5 story building, as well as felt completely comfortable dangling my feet over the edge

Then I had very significant fear of the world ending/nuclear war/flooding 'cause of global warming ("Waterworld" had me looking out the window expecting to see the ocean encroaching upon my house any minute, which lasted for about 6 months)

I also had a fairly large fear of speaking out loud and being in public, which lingered into my high school years and even the first year of college

I still haven't completely overcome my fear of approaching women

Oh, and fear of posting on CFC, I was a pretty substantial lurker for some time :p

Still afraid of rejection and the fear of the approach.

:( Well, you can trust us, people who you have probably never seen before in rl. :)

I am OCD, and I get severely obsessive when exposed to death by means of tsunami or by demons. I still have not overcome that, and I look out the window on the west side of the house and image a tsunami devouring me. But that's illogical since I live on the east coast.

I used to have a TERRIFYING fear of the apocalypse (and death in general), and I would freak out. But then I watched a show on Discovery Health called "I was Dead" (about people who died but were brought back to life) and all my fears of death washed away. But, as stated above, I also have a fear of suffering before I die, so I am not afraid of death, but the act of dying.

When I was little I also used to have an irrational fear that my mom was an alien and one day she would zip open her head revealing her true form and kill me. Surprisingly, though, I was never tested for schizophrenia. :p

Probably heights, I wasn't scared of them until one summer like 5-6 years ago my family decided we should go to Rocky Mountain Ntl Park, Colorado. And we drove up the highest mountain to near the top, (It's 14,000 feet) And my mom was freaking out so he turned around when there was a cliff on both sides.. Oh my god was that scary. :lol: It's mostly gone now though.

I have overcome the fear of posting in this thread!
Spoiler :
srsly nao When I was a child I used to be scared of fire (stoves, ovens, etc.) not any more, thankfully.

@warpus: mind-altering substances are the best way to get over your fears ! Unless you die horribly while high.
Especially mushrooms. For real. They are on their way to become an established method of therapy.

My fear of spiders has declined since in my new place they visit me so frequently through the open window that I became accustomed. They are relatively small though.

I have some light fear of heights, nothing dramatic, windows or balconies don't trouble me, nor do rollercoasters.
But on one field trip in "high school" we were in some park were you could practice climbing and in one exercise you got about 10 meters high, secured by the rope, and had to walk over some shaky logs to get to the other side.

My legs started shaking like crazy and I had no control over it whatsoever. Very irritating. But as you don't encounter such situations in daily live, I don't know if anything has changed - I will face this again though (maybe using mushrooms).

I used to be afraid of dancing, but I overcame that by taking a ballroom dance class. After I learned some skill in dances, and gained confidence, I lost interest entirely in dancing.

I used to be afraid of approaching women, but then I studied up on seduction techniques and once successful, realized it was nothing and lost interest.

There seems to be a pattern.

We could say that you're afraid of doing things you're inexpert at…

Attachments

• 250px-Tegenaria_duellica.JPG
    250px-Tegenaria_duellica.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 45
  • malehob2.jpg
    malehob2.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 43
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    8.8 KB · Views: 24
If you like spiders, be sure to see the one in the bedbugs thread. If you weren't afraid of spiders before, you will be. :D

OK, let's stop that before this thread becomes a 'let's post something that'll creep the others even more than the latest picture' thread…

I used to be afraid of sharks.

I used to be afraid of dancing, but I overcame that by taking a ballroom dance class. After I learned some skill in dances, and gained confidence, I lost interest entirely in dancing.

Fear of dancing! That's a good one

I used to always want to dance, but I was way too self conscious and I thought I would end up making a fool of myself, for various reasons

It really took a lot to eventually get me to dance - it involved quite a bit of alcohol from what I remember.. and even then, after that first time, I did not have the required confidence to dance whenever I wanted to.

But then somehow at my sister's wedding a couple years ago I busted out some major moves.. Me and my cousin bart (yes, his name is bart) along with these 2 cute Polish girls owned the dancefloor. At one point in the night I slid halfway across the dancefloor on my knees.. I had no idea what I was doing, but apparently it looked like I knew what I was doing.

Ever since then dancing has not been a problem.

I used to have a fear of public speaking, and generally feeling anxious in social situations. I never understood social rituals at all, and did not get small talk.

I still hate small talk, but I'm generally over the rest. (I participate in it but find it useless) I still don't understand social rituals, except in a purely academic sense, but I can mask that by playing along, due to experience.

Top Bottom