What gives with tolerant atheists?

Most of the time, I don't see very much tolerant atheists. Mostly it's just atheists belittling and attacking Christians and other religious people.
Of course not, because you only remember who is atheist based upon who rambles on about it. People who don't ramble on about atheism don't make it into people's minds who the atheists are.

What Perf said. Also, the vast majority of my decisions wouldn't change if I suddenly became religious, so unless they have particularly out there views, I don't really care.

You know what it's just easier to say "See? This is exactly what I'm talking about when I talk about CALIFORNIA! :mad:"

But seriously, we need more tolerant atheists just like we need tolerant theists! In God's eyes, you and I are brothers and are of the same family, OP. May our Lord bless you and your family and keep you well this holiday season. :jesus:

If people want to persecute gays or restrict my freedoms in line with their religion, I'll fight them every step of the way. But what people personally believe and what sources they use to frame their lives is none of my business. Toleration, not to mention respect, for believers is a perfectly reasonable expectation. Toleration of a church, a particular belief, or a policy is a completely different matter.

In religion debates you'll inevitably see some people say something to the effect of "I'm a Christian, but why should I care what non-religious people believe? They aren't hurting us, so stop insulting them and being narrow minded, and let them believe what they want."

How stupid. Do these people not realize that we live in democratic societies where people vote and influence the laws of their country based on what they believe? Atheists don't believe in Jesus and don't believe in the Bible, which sets out the moral rules that society should live by. This is a bad thing. They use their nonbelief in the Bible to justify all sorts of immoral activity.

In light of that, how can anyone call people like me narrow minded for pointing out what a cancer atheism is and refusing to simply let atheists "believe what they want"?

I love you. :love:

I would have made it a seperate thread, though, with the entire OP as one big hyperlink to this thread. I'm a lot bigger jackass than you, though, so this'll work.

By the way, Merry Christmas, Monkeyfinger and all! :jesus:

Of course not, because you only remember who is atheist based upon who rambles on about it. People who don't ramble on about atheism don't make it into people's minds who the atheists are.

And the same goes for theists of all stripes. We don't notice those who quietly worship ; we notice those trying to deprive people of theirr rights or force us to accept things that go against our every moral belief because "I SEZ THE HOLY BOOK SEZ SO!

We don't notice the Christian who goes to church every week and is otherwise quiet ; we notice the one whose preaching Death to Fags and spewing hatred on every news network there is. Same for the muslims extremists (living in the west, who dominate the public mindset against those numerous muslims who have in fact reached a perfectly reasonable level of integration. Etc, etc, etc.

Europeans manage to do it somehow.

I think they got it right: Religion should be something private and shouldn't enter politics.

Are you saying that all European politicians are atheists, or that no politicians are guided at all by their religion?

I'm not saying in a "God talks to me" kind of way, I mean in any way, shape, or form, including morals?

Given that other ideologies that don't often have a basis in fact, and involve requiring people to act how you want them to - such as communism - have a place in politics, I don't think it is necessary to exclude religion entirely.

And there are, after all, no Christian Democrat parties in the US, at least no major ones.

Are you saying that all European politicians are atheists, or that no politicians are guided at all by their religion?

I'm not saying in a "God talks to me" kind of way, I mean in any way, shape, or form, including morals?

I'm just saying that religion rarely enters into politics in the EU.

There's quite simply no way that religion could be excluded from politics. Politicians will always be guided by their personal feelings and morals, and at least some of them will be guided by religion.

Thats why we have a Constitution - to limit religious zeal ;)
among other passions.

Thats why we have a Constitution - to limit religious zeal ;)
among other passions.

We have a constitutional limit on STATUTES concerning religion. We don't have a limit on politicians justifying their actions based upon their religion, or being somewhat swayed by religious leanings.

We have a constitutional limit on STATUTES concerning religion. We don't have a limit on politicians justifying their actions based upon their religion, or being somewhat swayed by religious leanings.
So if some zealot president said that god told him "Kill everyone that doesn't believe in Jesus in the USA!" Would you clap your hands and say "Good lets kill them because i think the president does talk to god and hes right!"

So if some zealot president said that god told him "Kill everyone that doesn't believe in Jesus in the USA!" Would you clap your hands and say "Good lets kill them because i think the president does talk to god and hes right!"

Nobody said that. :crazyeye:

There is a limitation on laws that have to do with religion.

There is no limit on whether or not the people who pass such laws can have religion.

I don't see what's wrong with this.

No, but complaining about tolerance (in the thread title) could be considered intolerant. At least, if the word is to mean anything.

I would consider it intolerant if it were vulgar and hateful. I don't see anything wrong here; I wouldn't turn away a religious person at my door trying to convert me without politely talking to them, and the OP is far less invasive than that.

In religion debates you'll inevitably see some people say something to the effect of "I'm atheist, but why should I care what religious people believe? They aren't hurting us, so stop insulting them and being narrow minded, and let them believe what they want."

How stupid.
I'm an atheist. But why should I care what religious people believe?

When they knock on my front door and try to convert me to their faith, I actually DO care. But most religious people don't. I have had exactly one religious person try to convert me THIS YEAR. Why don't I care what religious people believe? Because most religious people leave me the hell alone.

So stop insulting them, stop being narrow minded, and let them believe what they want. Why? Because most religious people treat YOU that very same way.

Edit: Oh yeah, and there's some line in the Constitution somewhere about freedom of religion. Do you have the right to believe what you want??? Well, surprise! If you do, then so do they!! Doesn't take a rocket scientist to work it out (although a degree in astrophysics might actually help)

Well, I'm agnostic, and certainly not Christian... but I find that people who live by the rules of Christianity tend to be either the same as anyone else, or if they truly believe, very moral and kind individuals. Moreover, how should I know if the Bible is fiction or fact? Or if God is real or not? There's no reason for me to tell them what they should believe; I respect their opinions as much as I do any other persons. It is when someone steps on another person's toes that they get offensive.

glad to find another sensible person on this whole subject, and not one that jumps at the first possibility to smack the other side

:thumbsup:

Most of the time, I don't see very much tolerant atheists. Mostly it's just atheists belittling and attacking Christians and other religious people.

Really? Really? When's the last time you were in public and you were berated for being Catholic? I mean really.

Top Bottom