What TV Shows Are You Watching? The 9th Is - Excuse Me - A Damn Fine Cup Of Coffee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr. Hygro will be delighted to know that the 2000s are so back that even Sam Waterston is back playing ADA McCoy on Law & Order.
Sorry to disappoint, but she already had her "former Fillion co-star" cameo in a Castle episode.
Summer Glau showed up in Castle as well, but e.g. Titus Makin was in Castle once and then was a regular for three seasons in The Rookie.
A few of Fillion's 'leading ladies' have been absent. I don't think Morena Baccarin or Susan Sullivan ever made an appearance in his later shows, and I'd be shocked if Stana Katic ever did. It might be too strong to say that they can't stand each other, but I don't think they're inviting each other to their holiday parties. Castle actually tried to give Katic the boot, but I'm not sure how much of that was her working relationship with Fillion. I've never read anything about Fillion & Baccarin's offscreen relationship, good or bad. I think they have appeared at public events together. Perhaps "cool" is the word to use. :dunno:

I was really hoping that Tudyk's character on The Rookie would be recurring, but oh well. I also thought Molly Quinn and Matthew Glave were a fun pair. (And I suppose my Castle spinoff with Quinn and Toks Olagundoye - Alexis & Hayley running their own P.I. agency - is off the table.)
I've seen Toks Olagundoye as a recurring character in The Rookie. I don't know anything about good or bad blood between any of the above. I know that Castle had a behind-the-scenes ruckus but they are still not showing the last two seasons. I am getting aggravated.

Anyway, yes, Quinn-Glave made for a great pair. I've made it to the totally-not-a-pilot part of Season 4.

Meanwhile, I've also finally (after ages) begun watching the last two seasons of Korra, which some of you might remember me bitcomplaining about when Nickelodeon decided to never air them.

I played Fallout 3 and generally the game tried to paint them in a positive light. Most seemed nice but they were also usually not treated well by most.

About possible clashes between the pending show and canon.
Primarily he mentions the apparent lack of NCR, visible from surface vaults in the region somehow not being raided by the Master, new creatures with suspicious traits and another airship for BOS (also potential for BOS mission to be outdated in this timeline).
And a comedy cyclops.

About possible clashes between the pending show and canon.
*shrug* If the show's good, none of this will matter to me. If it's not good, none of this will be why I didn't like it.

Last edited:
Rewatching the first two eps of True Detective: Night Country. Well-written show. Killer cast, too.

Episode 1:
Spoiler :
I'd completely forgotten about the prologue, with the hunter and the herd of caribou.

The spooky song playing when Chief Danvers is driving to Tsalal is "Magpie" by The Unthanks. iirc, it plays again over the closing credits.
Spoiler :
Something I didn't catch the first time I watched: When we meet the little boy, Darwin - is he Peter's son? - he's drawn a morbid picture of a woman with glowing eyes with blood running from her hands. Peter asks Kayla what it is and she says, "just a local legend."

Nice music! Where is the show streaming?

Yep...I watched the first 2 epis of TD the other day. It was good and reminded me more of the spirit of Season 1 than the 2 and 3. The show does a good job of playing up the legend of the area and the possible supernatural. In fact, everything would make one think so to a point, but I know Jodie will:

Spoiler :
Prove it is human's being bad. I think there is def some kinda of cult thing going on

If Peter's the young detective - I'm so bad with names sometimes - then that is his son.

Good to see Foster again - it has been a while. She is nailing this role. Oh..and the great Fiona Shaw.

Finally got around to watching The Legend of Korra's last two seaons, the ones which a decade ago I was complaining about Nickelodeon deciding to webstream only, and it's good. Not brilliant, and intentionally less epic than The Last Airbender, but worth watching.
Oh..and the great Fiona Shaw.
What did you say? I must watch this.

Finally got around to watching The Legend of Korra's last two seaons, the ones which a decade ago I was complaining about Nickelodeon deciding to webstream only, and it's good. Not brilliant, and intentionally less epic than The Last Airbender, but worth watching.
I'm surprised you like them.

I can't remember the first time I heard about Masters of the Air, but it must have been over 10 years ago. Seems like it just took forever to finally be produced. Anyway, I quite enjoyed the first two episodes and am looking forward to the first Schweinfurt raid next Friday. I find air movies to be notoriously hard to get right (cutscenes to fighter pilots talking to each other is hard not to make cheesy) but at least so far so good.

Watching another ep of Bones last night, I was abruptly reminded again that the show is, like, 15 years old. The first time it struck me was when one of the characters mentioned MySpace. This time, it was seeing someone use a public pay phone. :lol:

I'm surprised you like them.
What? Don't tell me you like them too and we finally find something we both like other than Civ3?!

What? Don't tell me you like them too and we finally find something we both like other than Civ3?!
I tried typing up a reply to this three different ways but couldn't make it sound non-offensive. I'll just go with a "Yes" here. :p I'm sure there's other stuff we both like. There has to be.

I tried typing up a reply to this three different ways but couldn't make it sound non-offensive.
That's two weird posts out of two for you in this thread.

After two episodes, Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2024) is already the show I wanted Citadel to be.* I really liked the direction. Both eps were directed by Hiro Murai, who also did the first ep of Station Eleven (2021), which I loved. The explosion genuinely caught me off-guard. I was thinking about Nikita's first mission in La Femme Nikita (1990), where she just delivers a room-service tray and... that's it. And then boom.

I've never seen Maya Erskine in anything before. I like her. I can't get over the fact that her part was originally going to be played by Phoebe Waller-Bridge (Fleabag; Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny). I can't even imagine the two women playing the same character. Like, it's not just that they wouldn't play the character the same; it's not even the same character. It couldn't be. Waller-Bridge is like 6"/15cm taller than Erskine, for one thing. And she just has a completely different energy.

I haven't seen Donald Glover in a lot either, and I have to admit that I came into this thinking, "Donald Glover as a spy? Really?" Yup. Donald Glover as a spy. Youbetcha. (btw, Hiro Murai directed the video for "This is America.")

I really like spy stories where the characters are clever and not just bad mother[lovers]. That was why I was disappointed with Amazon's Jack Ryan show. This show has kind of a similar premise to The Americans (2013), but the tone is completely different. I think my only note for the showrunner, Francesca Sloane, was that the prologue was unnecessary and I forgot about it almost immediately. Also, a high-five for John Turturro. I accidentally got a glimpse at some of the upcoming cast, because I couldn't remember Maya Erskine's name and had to look the show up, and I'm pretty stoked for the rest of the episodes.

Anyway, so far, so good.

* Citadel was [poo]. I couldn't even get through one episode. Anyone who wanted Heart of Stone to be good also might want to give Mr. & Mrs. Smith a try.

---

Episode 4 of True Detective: Night Country was a little unsatisfying. It was depressing in a way the previous episodes hadn't been, and I felt like it was a little wheel-spinny.

---

Also rewatched the first 3 eps of season 1 of Mindhunter. Still good. I read somewhere that Holt McCallany recently said something that, if you wear the right-color sunglasses and spin yourself around until you're dizzy, you could choose to interpret to mean that season 3 of this show isn't fully, completely, irrevocably dead. It's probably dead. It's not like streaming services are more spendthrift than they were in 2017, and this series was canceled because of its budget.

I've never seen Maya Erskine in anything before.
So I read that and immediately recognised the name, but couldn't remember why.

Turns out that I had (and you might have?) heard her rather than seen her, because (Wiki sez) she voiced the lead, Mizu, in Netflix's Blue Eye Samurai.

(And if you haven't seen that show, I'd recommend remedying that if you can.)

Episode 4 of True Detective: Night Country was a little unsatisfying. It was depressing in a way the previous episodes hadn't been, and I felt like it was a little wheel-spinny.
I've been watching this too. I haven't seen any of the previous seasons but my understanding each season is it's own self contained story so I just dove into the 4th season. Anyway, the first episode I thought set up a decent mystery but episodes 2-4 have been 'wheel-spinny' as you put it. Too much focus on each characters personal lives and not enough on progressing the actual case. Supposedly there's only two episodes left. I don't know how they're going to tie together all the loose ends of all the subplots other than 'evil spirits did it', or it was 'all just a dream', or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom