What Video Games Have You Been Playing #11: I should go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not so much organic though, at least not yet. Anyway it's not a serious issue for this discussion, I just thought it odd to rule out what is, to my knowledge, still the more efficient setup known to us.

If we're assuming galactic scale then I think cold fusion is a given, which makes efficiency almost irrelevant

I need the graphics to be bumped up 5-10 years from their current level on both of those games :(

Old graphics are okay but those are archaic

I've been playing myself some MORDHAU, the new patch buffed engineer considerably :)

Cardgame can you recommend me mod(s) for star sector ?
I tried all of them at once and it was a total mess, so many junk ships, too many missile weapons being sold, giant enemy fleets everywhere, It was madness.

:lol:

I usually just use a few quality pieces. Ship/Weapon Pack and Disassemble/Reassemble and Mayasuran Navy for expanded vanilla style content, Combat Chatter for a bit more battlefield intel and immersion, aaaand that's it for the basics, except all the dependencies (dll libraries). I also run a total overhaul called Archean Order, basically it revamps all the ships to have an extreme focus on fighters and quantity of weapon mounts - smalls are mostly new pieces, mediums are half the vanilla smalls and half vanilla mediums, and large slots are mostly vanilla mediums. They've all had their stats tweaked, of course. There's also 50% or more slots on most ships along with fighter bays everywhere, and a complete reimagining of flux usage. It's pretty interesting.

Sorry bout that I didn't mean to sound like you should have read the post from the previous page, I messed that whole thing up I should have written something about being a hive mind in the complaining post.

I probably came off sounding more brusque than necessary, but I won't disagree that bad communication is bad in general. :)

I started a new Path of Exile character this week. I didn't like Synthesis a lot, so I started him in a Standard League. I also wanted to try to a Minion-heavy build, but I'm bored, bored, bored with zombies in any medium, so a Witch was out of the question. I started a "Holy Army" build instead: Templar with Guardian Ascendancy. Animate Guardian, Stone Golem, and Raise Spectre give me a party of four before anything jumps off. Dominating Blow primary attack and the Herald of Purity aura scale up with the size of the fight; when things get really crazy, I've got a whole rugby squad around me and I'm just trying to keep up with them. I've just started Act 4, level 30-something.

Passives: I started out with Sanctity -> Discipline -> Holy Dominion -> Faith and Steel until I could get a Dominating Blow gem at level 28-29. Then I put the pedal to the metal on the Minion buffs; Righteous Army, Redemption, and Spiritual Aid; Retribution -> Spiritual Command -> Sacrifice; and Radiant Crusade from the Guardian tree. At this point, my Minions are greatly outpacing me for damage and survivability, and I'm getting worried about facing the tough Bosses. So now I'm concentrating on my own Life pool and defenses, with Devotion and Tireless.

Skill Gems: Smite with Summon Phantasm was my primary attack until level 28-29. Then I switched to Dominating Blow with Melee Splash. Summon Holy Relic and Herald of Purity. Right now I'm using Anger as a buff Aura, which adds a fixed amount of fire damage, but I'm going to try switching to Hatred, which adds cold damage as a percentage of your physical damage. Leap Slam is my movement skill, although I keep thinking Shield Charge would be cool too. Convocation is requisite, for Minion management. I've also added Raise Spectre, although that's kind of an afterthought at the moment. I haven't figured out which enemies are best to keep as a Spectre, so I just haphazardly raise anyone who's quick enough to keep up with the squad.

Equipment: Nothing clever; mace and shield; mixed Armor and Energy Shield. I'm not married to either approach yet, they were just kind of the default for the Templar and they're working fine so far. When 5- and 6-slot staves start to appear, I might switch to that.

Attacking: If there's a Gold enemy, I Leap Slam at him straight away. If you kill a Gold enemy with Dominating Blow, not only is the resulting Sentinel superbad, he gets any Aura that the Gold enemy carried - but you have to kill him yourself, with Dominating Blow; if your Minions kill him, he doesn't become a Sentinel. If there's no Gold enemy, I just smash the first thing that gets in front of me. Once the rugby squad gets on the field, they kind of take charge and stomp everything before I can even do anything more.

Defense: A mix of everything but Evasion. Some Armor, some Energy Shield, some Blocking, some Elemental Resistance, some Life Regen. I'm worried that I'll get squashed by the uber-Bosses that have huge, single-target attacks. My toughest fights so far have been Brutus in the prison and Kole in the Temple of Lunaris.

Bandits: I took the 2 extra skill points, but I think any of the options would work with this character. This is the one thing you can't experiment with, you're stuck with whatever you pick, but I don't think there's a wrong choice with this build.

Weaknesses: So far, single-target 'Hulk smash'-type Bosses, and Mana management. I'm using Mana flasks constantly.

Indeed I do love Dominions 5 as well as 4 and 3. I have them all and Conquest of Elysium.

It's amazing how great these games are despite graphics which are not AAA title quality. Even with these older looking graphics the game play elements and the depth are much much greater than any of the AAA titles.
Nice! If you are ever interested in doing Dominions multiplayer, hit me up on Steam. (Same username.)

In Mass Effect 3, I edited my savegame so that I romanced everyone just to see what happened. This happened at the end of the Citadel DLC.

Spoiler :

So not a video game but I don't want to make a dedicated thread -

Resident Evil 2 (board game)
There are a lot of rules to this game but they're all pretty straight forward and make the game a lot like a video game. My wife and I took turns reading from the rule book and coming up with our own accompanying examples and that really helped us learn it. We've played two tutorial scenarios (beginner and intermediate) so far and it's a lot of fun. I will say though that before we could play those games, we spent about 2.5 - 3 hours in total just reading rules which was a bit of a drag. Wife had fun reading the rules though, I think because it was a bit like teaching one of her students. I will say that it is incredibly daunting when you see how big the rule book is but it's all actually quite straight forward and easy to remember.

To play the game, you build a building or outdoor setting using tiles. The tiles represent rooms and doors and stairways connecting them. You add walls in some of the rooms and items to interact with. Then you place zombies around the map from regular walkers, to dogs, to lickers and finally you can add a boss. You basically have to move through the building to get to an objective tile, finding keys and unlocking doors as you go. You can pick up weapons and each one comes with a neat ammo wheel to keep track of how many shots you've fired. You can get ammo and health in the items around the rooms. There are 'corpse' item types and jewels and stuff but they don't show up until the advanced tutorial.

Each turn has three phases:
  1. Action - you can move or attack, search or trade up to four times
  2. Reaction - the zombies in the same room or connected rooms (with a door open) will move toward you and attack
  3. Tension - you draw a card that can either do nothing or something bad like spawn more zombies
The one thing that does slow the game down quite a bit is that each room has a threat code. If it's green, nothing happens each time you move a tile. If it's yellow or red, you have to roll a dice for every single step you take to determine if something bad will happen. Once you've walked in a tile once, you don't have to re-roll on it anymore but the maps are quite large and it having to roll for each step is so tedious that we've decided to try and skip doing it in future games and see if that helps speed it up. I am worried though that if we skip it that the game will become too easy because the zombies have very low health. Maybe we should double or triple their health to offset the lower number of random encounters?

Other than that issue, the game is pretty balanced and engaging and is intellectually stimulating because you have to keep track of a lot of rules but also strategize how you are going to get out of the map without dying. The figures are a good size and detailed though they are just mono-color plastic. It supports 1-4 players and it's only co-op - there is no player versus player mode.

I started a new Path of Exile character this week. I didn't like Synthesis a lot, so I started him in a Standard League. I also wanted to try to a Minion-heavy build, but I'm bored, bored, bored with zombies in any medium, so a Witch was out of the question. I started a "Holy Army" build instead: Templar with Guardian Ascendancy. Animate Guardian, Stone Golem, and Raise Spectre give me a party of four before anything jumps off. Dominating Blow primary attack and the Herald of Purity aura scale up with the size of the fight; when things get really crazy, I've got a whole rugby squad around me and I'm just trying to keep up with them. I've just started Act 4, level 30-something.

Passives: I started out with Sanctity -> Discipline -> Holy Dominion -> Faith and Steel until I could get a Dominating Blow gem at level 28-29. Then I put the pedal to the metal on the Minion buffs; Righteous Army, Redemption, and Spiritual Aid; Retribution -> Spiritual Command -> Sacrifice; and Radiant Crusade from the Guardian tree. At this point, my Minions are greatly outpacing me for damage and survivability, and I'm getting worried about facing the tough Bosses. So now I'm concentrating on my own Life pool and defenses, with Devotion and Tireless.

Skill Gems: Smite with Summon Phantasm was my primary attack until level 28-29. Then I switched to Dominating Blow with Melee Splash. Summon Holy Relic and Herald of Purity. Right now I'm using Anger as a buff Aura, which adds a fixed amount of fire damage, but I'm going to try switching to Hatred, which adds cold damage as a percentage of your physical damage. Leap Slam is my movement skill, although I keep thinking Shield Charge would be cool too. Convocation is requisite, for Minion management. I've also added Raise Spectre, although that's kind of an afterthought at the moment. I haven't figured out which enemies are best to keep as a Spectre, so I just haphazardly raise anyone who's quick enough to keep up with the squad.

Equipment: Nothing clever; mace and shield; mixed Armor and Energy Shield. I'm not married to either approach yet, they were just kind of the default for the Templar and they're working fine so far. When 5- and 6-slot staves start to appear, I might switch to that.

Attacking: If there's a Gold enemy, I Leap Slam at him straight away. If you kill a Gold enemy with Dominating Blow, not only is the resulting Sentinel superbad, he gets any Aura that the Gold enemy carried - but you have to kill him yourself, with Dominating Blow; if your Minions kill him, he doesn't become a Sentinel. If there's no Gold enemy, I just smash the first thing that gets in front of me. Once the rugby squad gets on the field, they kind of take charge and stomp everything before I can even do anything more.

Defense: A mix of everything but Evasion. Some Armor, some Energy Shield, some Blocking, some Elemental Resistance, some Life Regen. I'm worried that I'll get squashed by the uber-Bosses that have huge, single-target attacks. My toughest fights so far have been Brutus in the prison and Kole in the Temple of Lunaris.

Bandits: I took the 2 extra skill points, but I think any of the options would work with this character. This is the one thing you can't experiment with, you're stuck with whatever you pick, but I don't think there's a wrong choice with this build.

Weaknesses: So far, single-target 'Hulk smash'-type Bosses, and Mana management. I'm using Mana flasks constantly.
I've wanted to play a dominating blow character, but never have. I can see how it would pair well with Herald of Purity. Grabbing the auras of rare bosses is pretty cool. Almost a mini HH; well, similar at least. ;)

Can you throw fortify on your leap slam and will it show up on your minions when you land?

I've been dividing my time between Stellaris, House Party (a very demented game), and Neverwinter Nights.

I'm not getting much sleep. :lol:

Back to the usual, some Civ3 (The Great War mod), and EU4.

In Civ3, I'm Germany in WWI. Russia mobilized quicker than pre-war plans anticipated (just like real life), but with some minor modifications, the Schlieffen Plan succeeded. The first 10 turns were really good, but thereafter the Civ3 AI's inability to use artillery effectively became quite noticeable. My artillery firepower ramped up every month, like in the real war, while the AI hardly used offensive artillery at all. At least the one AI player who has used it some is Austria-Hungary :D.

In EU4, I'm now 200 years into a game as Ryazan. It's the first game since EU3 where I've had some Russian success while not playing Muscovy. And it's been tough! The Ottomans have done exceptionally well, and are by far the most powerful nation in the game. Even with the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth as an ally, and having conquered Muscovy, I lost every war against them in the 16th century, with most of the wars characterized by slow but devastating economic and military damage, but only limited loss of land. Finally, in the 1640s, I have achieved a minor victory against them, after six years of back-and-forth struggle. I'm not entirely sure who was actually worn down more, but it feels good to have gained the upper hand at least temporarily.

I need to give Stellaris another try at some point. I started a game in late 2017 but then went back into the history vortex.

In Civ3, I'm Germany in WWI. Russia mobilized quicker than pre-war plans anticipated (just like real life), but with some minor modifications, the Schlieffen Plan succeeded. The first 10 turns were really good, but thereafter the Civ3 AI's inability to use artillery effectively became quite noticeable. My artillery firepower ramped up every month, like in the real war, while the AI hardly used offensive artillery at all. At least the one AI player who has used it some is Austria-Hungary :D.
Bad Quint, bad! :whipped:

You shouldn't be playing random solo Civ3-games you're not telling us about, you should be playing/ writing up/ finishing your Random-Tech Adventure story in the S&T subforum! Your public awaits! ;)

Here are my ID's for some games I'd like to play with CFCers online or otherwise interact with:

Pokemon Go Hobbsyoyo
Polytopia Hobbsyoyo
Pokemon Y/Ultra Moon 0662-7322-7853 (3DS friend code)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom