What Video Games Have You Been Playing? IX: Now With 4K VR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D3 I didn't like at all (I find Titan Quest and Grim Dawn vastly more interesting), but it might be just personal taste here.

I'm playing Grim Dawn again and it suffers a bit from Elder Scrolls syndrome. Still haven't finished it because I keep creating new characters to try out different class combinations.

Frostpunk Endless/Survivor mode

Two games in a row, I couldn't locate any more survivors before the 3rd storm, and that was it for me. Either there's something more I can do with the 80 people you start with, or the rate at which you find more survivors is off-kilter. It just seems like 80 isn't enough.

Spoiler :

If it helps, I have 1000 in Crusader Kings 2.

I'd definitely recommend Tyranny, but how have you not played Portal 2 by now??

Honestly? I always thought it was a co-op-only game because of the Let's Plays I saw of it. But it was selling for something like a dollar during the Winter Sale so I figured I'd just buy it and see. Lo and behold... single player.

HL2 is extremely overrated, TBH, not a big loss (HL1 was a revolution when it was released, HL2 is just a another random ultra-linear modern shooter). Honestly, I would consider it a waste of time if you're not a sucker for corridor shooters.

Deus Ex (if you're talking about the first), though, that's a Classic with a capital C (it IS somewhat dated in some aspects, but on the whole it's remarkably fresh as a FPS-RPG-old-school hybrid that is still pretty unique). If you're talking about Human Revolution, it's a much more typical game, but there is real depth in the story and game world, so both gets a recommandation to play.

D3 I didn't like at all (I find Titan Quest and Grim Dawn vastly more interesting), but it might be just personal taste here.

nah you just have gud taste. HL2 I thought was splendid mechanically (one aspect that many gamers tend to forget about, because it's so incredibly intuitive, but it's easily one of the most important factors in the enjoyment of a game. a clunky game is almost always a bad game). Aside from that it just did not keep my attention very much, story seemed neat. Deus Ex on the other hand has me sucked in, I'll definitely finish it this year. Maybe playing Human Revolution, too, if I have the time. D3 I played on a friends console and I just thought it was bland garbage. I don't care if it offends anyone, it's just utterly uninteresting from almost any standpoint. D2 and D1 are vastly superior games, even aesthetics wise (which is not to be confused with graphics).

finally I agree that Titan Quest was balls to the wall greatness. straightforward, not necessarily very inventive, but everything they attempted came out very well. the skilltree system is ingenius and very intuitive, but still allows for enough deviation to make the differences feel meaningful. The boss encounters were cool and the loot system was satisfying. Character progression was a+. Honestly just a gorgeous RPG that executes its theme insanely well and does everything right. Sometimes less is more. Titan Quest is the Margharita while POE is the cheesy crust with 3 types of cheese, rocket, and 200$ worth of prosciutto crudo on top. Guess which one I prefer?

I'm playing Grim Dawn again and it suffers a bit from Elder Scrolls syndrome. Still haven't finished it because I keep creating new characters to try out different class combinations.

I don't seem to understand? Iirc Skyrim only had one class, the unkillable jack-of-all-trades Dovahkin, destroyer of worlds :lol:

I remember when in Morrowind I had like three different playthroughs as an assasin/mage hybrid and they all felt meaningfully different, while in Skyrim the difference between one and another mage class are basically nonexistant.

I don't seem to understand? Iirc Skyrim only had one class, the unkillable jack-of-all-trades Dovahkin, destroyer of worlds :lol:

Yeah, but it just doesn't feel right to win the civil war for the Empire and then join the Thieves Guild. Mary sue characters that can do everything are boring. I never use a Skyrim character for more than two quest chains.

Finished Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc. Pretty fun murder mystery anime visual novel, though certainly not without its flaws.

I'd also been playing Red Dead Redemption 2, though I've stagnated and not booted the game up in a week or so. It feels so slow and padded, I've put a decent amount of time into it and I don't think I'm even halfway through the story yet.

Zaaaaack!

Yeah, but it just doesn't feel right to win the civil war for the Empire and then join the Thieves Guild. Mary sue characters that can do everything are boring. I never use a Skyrim character for more than two quest chains.

I agree fully and that was my biggest gripe with the game, everything else is just minor complaints really. I'm working on something related to Skyrim rn so stay tuned :~)

That I haven't played...
Batman: Arkham Origins, Borderlands: Pre-Sequel, Far Cry 2, Grim Dawn, Hitman, Mad Max, Metal Gear Solid V, Shadow of Mordor, Observer, Portal 2, Prison Architect, Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, Seven: The Days Long Gone, Rome 2 Total War, Warhammer Total War, Tropico 5, Tyranny, Wizard of Legend, and Yakuza 0. Like I said... lengthy list.

MGSV is amazing, even though it was partly unfinished.
I would recommend this be the first game you play from your pile of shame

This year I didnt purchase anything from the Christmas Steamsale, I already have a smaller list myself with many games played but awaiting completion and deletion from my SSD

Portal 2. So far this is very meh. I'm on chapter 3 so I guess I'm a third of the way done. Not sure I'm going to stick with it.

HL2 is extremely overrated, TBH, not a big loss (HL1 was a revolution when it was released, HL2 is just a another random ultra-linear modern shooter). Honestly, I would consider it a waste of time if you're not a sucker for corridor shooters.
I played HL1 several times thru before HL2 and was very hyped about HL2. When I finally got it, I didn't even finish it :lol: I really liked the atmosphere in HL1 and the level design they made. For me it was an adventure in a science complex what I could find even today from some part of the world. I think that I expected similar adventure which HL2 didn't deliver for me.

Portal 2. So far this is very meh. I'm on chapter 3 so I guess I'm a third of the way done. Not sure I'm going to stick with it.

It gets better, from what I remember.

Completed Portal 2 (single player) over the Christmas holidays - admittedly with a few walkthrough videos for the odd-bit I got stuck on.

MGSV is amazing, even though it was partly unfinished.
I would recommend this be the first game you play from your pile of shame

I think we might have different definitions of 'amazing' here. I just finished Chapter 0 and all I really got from it were bare man butts and fire demons. And cutscenes. So many cutscenes. 60 minute chapter but maybe, maybe 20 minutes of gameplay.

I think we might have different definitions of 'amazing' here. I just finished Chapter 0 and all I really got from it were bare man butts and fire demons. And cutscenes. So many cutscenes. 60 minute chapter but maybe, maybe 20 minutes of gameplay.

I forgot to warned you about that hour long cut scene(s), tutorial its a Kohjima game after all
The fun starts on the second mission, where you are dropped off into Afghanistan proper, straight into the sandbox with a pistol and a horse. A small tip if you start killing everyone you take a karma penalty kinda like the renegade / paragon system in Mass Effect which the game dose not explain to you, until you have horn growing out of your skull and red eyes. Once I unlocked the motherbase and the Fulton system I couldnt stop playing, capturing Russians officers, weapons and vehicles then having them appear in your base.

Yeah, it got a lot better. I don't understand the lore at all; I've never played Metal Gear Solid. I thought it was, like... normal. But then a mist came down and there were super-speed zombies attacking me so, uh... not normal. Not normal at all.

Just arrived at Mother Base. There's base upgrading? The game knows my weakness. Maybe I'm into this after all.

I have only played two MGS games (on gameboy and ps1) but the stories were both kind of incoherrant and all over the place. I guess it's normal for the series?

TIL Ground Zeroes is a prequel and not a sequel. I guess I should stop and play that first...

Yeah, it got a lot better. I don't understand the lore at all; I've never played Metal Gear Solid. I thought it was, like... normal. But then a mist came down and there were super-speed zombies attacking me so, uh... not normal. Not normal at all. Just arrived at Mother Base. There's base upgrading? The game knows my weakness. Maybe I'm into this after all.

It involves collecting resources in the open world game and bringing them back to Motherbase. Side missions to rescue or capture key personal with rare abilities to unlock upgrades
I quickly became obsessed with collecting tanks, weapons and legendary soldiers to upgrade my base. Small tip is to login on Sun and Wed to collect the free premium coins you will need those to buy a base expansion

Ground Zero is one mission, that Kohjima put together to sell because they ran short of money. Its completely skipable and is more like a demo of MGSV
Orginally though Kohjima intended to revisit Gitmo and develop the island out as another complete sandbox area and side storyline but this was cut from the final game due to funds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom