What's the appeal of drugs?

I started smoking after the age of 18. :p
I did too after swearing up and down I would never do so. Both my parents smoked, so any of our regular cross-country trips was an exercise in second-hand smoke. Yet when I was in college I couldn't help by try it when everybody else in the room was doing so during one drunken binge. Before I knew it, I had a 2-pack-a-day habit until I quit cold turkey on a $100 bet with a friend.

I cannot really see why any rational person over the age of 18 would want to start smoking.

Hell, I can't really see why anyone would want to start smoking when they know the dangers it has.

Suppresses appetite. Gives you something to do with your hands when you're on break.

I smoke in the summer, when I'm out with friends. Any other season it's just not worth it here.

Smoking is useful when you're in a pub and you want to have a chat with someone in the smoking area, just ask to bum a fag and there you go.

I've smoked about 10 cigarettes in my life and it's always been to do that.

Smoking is useful when you're in a pub and you want to have a chat with someone in the smoking area, just ask to bum a fag and there you go.

I've smoked about 10 cigarettes in my life and it's always been to do that.

Smoking in bars was banned here. Period. :(

I did too after swearing up and down I would never do so. Both my parents smoked, so any of our regular cross-country trips was an exercise in second-hand smoke. Yet when I was in college I couldn't help by try it when everybody else in the room was doing so during one drunken binge. Before I knew it, I had a 2-pack-a-day habit until I quit cold turkey on a $100 bet with a friend.
My parents don't smoke, but same here, i was swearing i'd never start. But at a new years party with college friends i tried it in a drunken haze - with my best friend to thank for that. However i started smoking regulary for stress relief. (which is why i'll probably not quit soon - at least till i move out of my parents' house, but i need a crapload of money for that)

It's about knowing when to stop. So I guess my question is why don't someone know when to stop?
One of the problems is the drugs is messing up with the very thing that suppose to tell you to stop.

Doesn't the OP know anyone who smokes a joint and has a few beers now and then, but still manages to succeed in the important aspects of life?

There's all types of folks.

Should I criticize the OP for not having totally kicked his chocolate or cheeseburger habit? After all, I kicked mine 8 years ago cold turkey and never looked back. I smoke weed every day but I never eat chocolate or cheeseburgers of any kind. So we are about even perhaps. He might get overweight from his poor diet and frequent chocolate binges, thus both of us (don't forget my lung cancer) stand to cause unnecessary burden to society, that could otherwise be prevented through authoritarian rule.

Should I criticize the OP for not having totally kicked his chocolate or cheeseburger habit? After all, I kicked mine 8 years ago cold turkey and never looked back. I smoke weed every day but I never eat chocolate or cheeseburgers of any kind. So we are about even perhaps. He might get overweight from his poor diet and frequent chocolate binges, thus both of us (don't forget my lung cancer) stand to cause unnecessary burden to society, that could otherwise be prevented through authoritarian rule.
If you point is that we all are sinners and come up short of the glory of God then I agree. But if your point that smoking weed is just like eating a cheeseburger then that's a really bad argument. For example I don't think many would agree (at least those who are sober) that Obama eating a cheeseburger damages his character as much as him smoking weed. Nor taken 3 aspirin (instead of 2) compares to taken cocaine.

There we go. Can't just say drugs.
It is a separate conversation for each drug.

We could choose to begin the conversation with caffeinne, just to start with the most popular one.

When my Pastor was a young boy he had a class called temperance. It is not tha hard to have self control, it just takes time. Also that is cop out since if no one had any self control, then we would be in a big mess, isince nothing would be done.

Because a class called "temperance" is definitely going to work.

For example I don't think many would agree (at least those who are sober) that Obama eating a cheeseburger damages his character as much as him smoking weed.
Seeing that he has obviously done both on numerous occasions, I don't see what your point is.

Have you ever drank coffee, tea, or any sort of caffeinated soft drink? How about drinking wine which is mentioned repeatedly in the Bible? Ever smoked a cigarette?

How about prescription drugs? Are those OK?

What about people who have cancer and who cannot eat due to severe nausea unless they smoke pot?

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Support/marijuana

I have a friend who is a fundamentalist Christian. She nearly died from cancer when she was in her twenties, and she credits smoking pot that someone gave her to saving her life. She would have never thought to smoke grass before that point, but now she is a staunch advocate. She visits hospices all the time and gives free pot to any patient who will accept it after she explains to each patient what it might do to help save their own lives.

What about people who have cancer and who cannot eat due to severe nausea unless they smoke pot?

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Support/marijuana

I have a friend who is a fundamentalist Christian. She nearly died from cancer when she was in her twenties, and she credits smoking pot that someone gave her to saving her life. She would have never thought to smoke grass before that point, but now she is a staunch advocate. She visits hospices all the time and gives free pot to any patient who will accept it after she explains to each patient what it might do to help save their own lives.
We give cancer patient a lot stronger drugs than marijuana so of course when marijuana can actually save a life it should be used. Cancer drugs can be found illegally on the street as well.

It's the same as cutting off people arms and legs is wrong unless you happen to be a doctor who trying to save someone's life.

Not even any smoking area? Like outside ones? :eek:

There are indeed still outdoor smoking areas at some bars in Ottawa. I don't smoke anymore (quit 5-6 years ago when I found out my girlfriend was pregnant), but I'll still stroll outside to the smokers patio with my buddies who do smoke (I just make sure to sit upwind).

For some people, it's an escape. There's a homeless guy whose daughter died (he wasn't homeless when that happened). He couldn't take it and not he takes drugs all day and lays in parks to ease the pain.

I don't smoke and sometimes caffeine can get me buzzed.

I do drink, and go to bars. Light drinking gets my mind going and clears things up for me, makes me more social. Heavy drinking makes me a zombie and kills my wit. I have a few drinks before I go to a bar. If I don't drink, I wouldn't want to go to a bar nor would the people inside have any interest to me nor would I want to sit their. There are other things I could be doing besides drinking at a bar.

Vocodine works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. When I've had broken limbs, I've used vicodin, sometimes for the recreational factor. It's not anything great.

I've cut back my drinking and I'm saving about $100 a month.

I drink and smoke, but only socially. I do it because it's fun- it really is! Doing that can lead to good times, and they have, and that's why we enjoy doing it. It's not as if it's necessary to do to have a good time, and I've had plenty of great times without any drugs, but when the oppurtunity arises, I may well go for it because it is fun. I have declined to partake some times as well, usually I'm not the only one, because being sober while everyone else is under the influence isn't always much fun, but I have that control and can still enjoy myself. The appeal is the altered state of mind in the company of good friends or family that can make a certain gathering that much more interesting. I know of course that it's not necessary to have a good time, like I said, but it can create fun things that would never happen sober, and that's fine. We usually don't do anything to hurt ourselves or each other and so the good out-weighs the bad. Bad things have and will happen, but some damn bad stuff has happened when completely sober too.
I enjoy drinking and smoking because it's fun, that's really it, but an important part of that is doing it with friends. I don't do much in that way alone because it's not as fun the grand majority of the time. There have been several good reasons shown already why people like it, and if you don't yet understand why, then I don't really know what else I can say.

I drink and smoke, but only socially. I do it because it's fun- it really is! Doing that can lead to good times, and they have, and that's why we enjoy doing it. It's not as if it's necessary to do to have a good time, and I've had plenty of great times without any drugs, but when the oppurtunity arises, I may well go for it because it is fun. I have declined to partake some times as well, usually I'm not the only one, because being sober while everyone else is under the influence isn't always much fun, but I have that control and can still enjoy myself. The appeal is the altered state of mind in the company of good friends or family that can make a certain gathering that much more interesting. I know of course that it's not necessary to have a good time, like I said, but it can create fun things that would never happen sober, and that's fine. We usually don't do anything to hurt ourselves or each other and so the good out-weighs the bad. Bad things have and will happen, but some damn bad stuff has happened when completely sober too.
I enjoy drinking and smoking because it's fun, that's really it, but an important part of that is doing it with friends. I don't do much in that way alone because it's not as fun the grand majority of the time. There have been several good reasons shown already why people like it, and if you don't yet understand why, then I don't really know what else I can say.
Actually I like it. I like it a lot. And I remember using it. But I haven't used it in almost 10 years not because I don't like it but because "I've told myself, yes it's nice but don't do it, it's not good for you".

That's kinda the point. The reason that people do it because it's nice is not good enough for me and doesn't get to the solution of the problem. So I'm looking for answers that are not simple.

Top Bottom