What's the appeal of drugs?

Actually I like it. I like it a lot. And I remember using it. But I haven't used it in almost 10 years not because I don't like it but because "I've told myself, yes it's nice but don't do it, it's not good for you".

That's kinda the point. The reason that people do it because it's nice is not good enough for me and doesn't get to the solution of the problem. So I'm looking for answers that are not simple.

So you want to know why people do something that is otherwise deterimental to their health?

Temperance is not abstention. Temperance is better than abstention.

Actually I like it. I like it a lot. And I remember using it. But I haven't used it in almost 10 years not because I don't like it but because "I've told myself, yes it's nice but don't do it, it's not good for you".

It is because you don't like it. It's not the high that you don't like, it's the side effects that you don't like, but that's only one coin. Why do you suppose the average person doesn't like heroin? Do you think it's because they wouldn't enjoy the euphoria?

That's kinda the point. The reason that people do it because it's nice is not good enough for me and doesn't get to the solution of the problem. So I'm looking for answers that are not simple.

What problem?

There are indeed still outdoor smoking areas at some bars in Ottawa. I don't smoke anymore (quit 5-6 years ago when I found out my girlfriend was pregnant), but I'll still stroll outside to the smokers patio with my buddies who do smoke (I just make sure to sit upwind).

Of course, 5-6 months a year, that means Ottawa has no smoking at any bars.

What's the appeal of drugs?

Anytime someone asks me this question, I usually just say something resembling the following:

Come home from a long, laborious day, roll a joint, put on some good music, spark the joint, and then get back to me. ;)

As to the OP, your shrink thought you might be bipolar. So take that natural high and make it on-demand.

If you point is that we all are sinners and come up short of the glory of God then I agree. But if your point that smoking weed is just like eating a cheeseburger then that's a really bad argument. For example I don't think many would agree (at least those who are sober) that Obama eating a cheeseburger damages his character as much as him smoking weed. Nor taken 3 aspirin (instead of 2) compares to taken cocaine.

Smoking weed damages character? Damn, I guess you are correct. After all, holding a job and going to school is sure evident that I'm low on character alright.:rolleyes:

I cannot really see why any rational person over the age of 18 would want to start smoking.

Hell, I can't really see why anyone would want to start smoking when they know the dangers it has.

I cannot really see why any rational person of any age would want to start smoking.

Camikaze said:
I cannot really see why any rational person of any age would want to start smoking.

Why do people drive? Most people know smoking is dangerous, but can't asses the risk because its not presented in a way that allows comparisons. Even otherwise rational people can find it difficult to sift through the masses of information present in modern society. I would go as far as to say OT fulfills a clearing house role for much of the information I internalize and use, given that we impart a balanced view, discuss any lingering issues/suspicions, engage in fact checking and argue the merits of this and that.

Why do people drive? Most people know smoking is dangerous, but can't asses the risk because its not presented in a way that allows comparisons.

The risk factor behind smoking is much, much higher than that of driving. It past the critical point where risks become unacceptable, especially with the amount of education and advertising to discourage people from smoking.

The risk factor behind smoking is much, much higher than that of driving. It past the critical point where risks become unacceptable, especially with the amount of education and advertising to discourage people from smoking.

It depends on what you're smoking exactly.

Camikaze said:
The risk factor behind smoking is much, much higher than that of driving. It past the critical point where risks become unacceptable

It's still hard to internalize the risk or make fair assessments of said risks. It's not through ignorance its simply because it is not in most peoples interest to delve into the risks.

Camikaze said:
especially with the amount of education and advertising to discourage people from smoking.

You mean the indoctrination? My sister honestly thought that a single puff of a smoke was going to kill her stone dead because some nice health bureaucrat had willfully mislead a group of young people about the risk. Its bad, but it needs to be de-mystified, the health issues need to be presented honesty and every attempt needs to be made to allow people to make a choice on their own. Fear-mongering to kids does nobody any good.

Disclaimer: I'm not for smoking, I'm merely for a more honest intellectual examination and presentation of the problem beyond "LULZ this will KILLZ you [insert possible horrible consequences here]. I would argue that all of the adult chain smokers I know have reacted more to being told by their GP about the risk and the relevance to their own situation than any sum of government advertising or education (kids can be scared for the moment... wait till they realize they were fed a steady diet of bunk).

Dawgphood001 said:
It depends on what you're smoking exactly.

Thank you for pointing out it is not a one dimensional problem. Honest and earnest information provided does more for risk assessment than any amount of 'nameless horror' advertising and scaremongering at school.

It's still hard to internalize the risk or make fair assessments of said risks. It's not through ignorance its simply because it is not in most peoples interest to delve into the risks.

You mean the indoctrination? My sister honestly thought that a single puff of a smoke was going to kill her stone dead because some nice health bureaucrat had willfully mislead a group of young people about the risk. Its bad, but it needs to be de-mystified, the health issues need to be presented honesty and every attempt needs to be made to allow people to make a choice on their own. Fear-mongering to kids does nobody any good.

It is for exactly the reason that smoking is represented so much as a risk, to an extreme point, that I wonder why anyone would start smoking. The idea of it is to scare people. I know that it is over represented, but the education still scares me. I think that those smart enough to realise that, as you say, one puff of smoke won't kill you, are smart enough to realise that, although the risk may not be that high, it is still too high, with too many negative consequences, whilst those dumb enough to smoke (personal opinion) would be also dumb enough to believe that one puff of smoke will kill you.

But I 'spose the risk-taking you point to is a fair enough reason in most cases, but it is just something I will never personally understand, having not experienced such a need for the dangerous.

And I'm talking about your run of the mill cigarettes. Not that I haven't been taught, or don't think, that all illicit drugs are bad.

Camikaze said:
It is for exactly the reason that smoking is represented so much as a risk, to an extreme point, that I wonder why anyone would start smoking. The idea of it is to scare people. I know that it is over represented, but the education still scares me. I think that those smart enough to realise that, as you say, one puff of smoke won't kill you, are smart enough to realise that, although the risk may not be that high, it is still too high, with too many negative consequences, whilst those dumb enough to smoke (personal opinion) would be also dumb enough to believe that one puff of smoke will kill you.

It doesn't correlate with reality and that is the danger. Smoking doesn't seem to correlate with intelligence... the number of smart people who smoke or have is quite amusing. Most people realize the risk and operate under the assumption that 'a little bit won't kill me' which would seem to be me to show a reasonable understanding of the risks.

Camikaze said:
But I 'spose the risk-taking you point to is a fair enough reason in most cases, but it is just something I will never personally understand, having not experienced such a need for the dangerous.

I don't either, but then I occasionally like a few shots of Gin & Tonic (more like half the bottle) so I guess I can't talk.

Camikaze said:
And I'm talking about your run of the mill cigarettes. Not that I haven't been taught, or don't think, that all illicit drugs are bad.

To tie this broadly to the appeal of drugs issue, most people are terrible at assessing the risks that drugs pose. Witness the number of people who smoke two or three cones of dope a day and start getting chronic bouts of paranoia and shaking, despite being told that they are suffering ill effects they will unreasonably hold to the notion that the dope isn't hurting them. They can't step back and look at the risks and the ill effects and make an informed decision about what it is they are doing or not doing.

Similar arguments are made about E, which is on the whole not all that harmful relative to I have no idea (see the problem). It would seem to me to be the secretive nature of its production that causes issues... there is no quality control or recourse in the advent of a bad trip so the makers of E don't have an issue with making them badly sometimes.

So the risks of the drugs don't trigger a natural response to high risk which might help a person resist. Of course in some the inherent risk is part of the appeal...

Smoking weed damages character? Damn, I guess you are correct. After all, holding a job and going to school is sure evident that I'm low on character alright.:rolleyes:
Making judgements on other people's character based on the fact they smoke weed damages character. Making judgements on other people's character based on the fact they judge other people's character on the fact they smoke weed damages character. :crazyeye:

Cue: Dead or Alive

What's funny is that before, i was just like the guys here staunchly defending non-smokers and their right not to breathe the smokers' air. And then i started smoking. :lol:

So you want to know why people do something that is otherwise deterimental to their health?

No, when I smoked and drank I was fully aware of the effects of those actions. But the point is that I rarely did it. I was always cautious. I said to myself, okay I'll try it but just a bit. And after I tried it, I thought. Nice but I don't need to do it again. I think that required a bit of mental strength on my part. I could easily have gone to my friends and said hey I want more of that stuff. But I didn't. I want to know where that mental strength comes from so I can help others be strong.

Temperance is not abstention. Temperance is better than abstention.

Well said!

It is because you don't like it. It's not the high that you don't like, it's the side effects that you don't like, but that's only one coin. Why do you suppose the average person doesn't like heroin? Do you think it's because they wouldn't enjoy the euphoria?

You are somewhat right. But I'm not too scared of the side effects. I mean I know the risks of driving but I keep driving because I HAVE TO. I guess the thing with drugs is that I feel I don't have to or I could do without it. It takes a lot of self-discipline and reasoning with yourself. I mean I've been told that running is bad for knees. But I still do it despite the side effects because it's one of the best ways I know to keep the weight off.

What problem?

Hun, don't play this game. :rolleyes:

Also Bast, heres a :trophy2: for being better than others at not using drugs.

Thanks.

I totally whip her, I've never done all that stuff she's done. Bigfoot too. So give her the third place trophy.

Read Lucy's quote. Temperance is better than abstention. It's easier to say no completely than to moderate. Plus, in trying to help those addicted simply saying that, "I've never done it" or "We do what we like" isn't going to help.

I cannot really see why any rational person over the age of 18 would want to start smoking.

Hell, I can't really see why anyone would want to start smoking when they know the dangers it has.

Bill Clinton and Barack Obama both smoked pot. LOOK at how they turned out. :goodjob: So we should be looking at why some people turn out like addicts and some people turn out like Clinton, Obama and well me. :)

Top Bottom