What's your view on texting/talking while driving?

Texting while driving is pretty much lunacy, I have to agree (even though I have done it), and should carry additional fines/points if you're doing it and get into an accident/another violation.

But is that much worse than say, setting up your ipod, or eating? Where do we draw the line?

Texting while driving is pretty much lunacy, I have to agree (even though I have done it), and should carry additional fines/points if you're doing it and get into an accident/another violation.

But is that much worse than say, setting up your ipod, or eating? Where do we draw the line?

You shouldn't be doing anything at all that significantly distracts you from driving, especially if it makes you take your eyes off the road. I also wouldn't eat or drink anything I have to keep in my hand while driving.
Setting up an ipod is just as bad as texting - even worse, if you subsequently use it and insert earplugs!

You shouldn't be doing anything at all that significantly distracts you from driving, especially if it makes you take your eyes off the road. I also wouldn't eat or drink anything I have to keep in my hand while driving.
Setting up an ipod is just as bad as texting - even worse, if you subsequently use it and insert earplugs!

This. It is a breach of traffic regulations here as well.

Talking to someone while driving is a distraction, hands free or in person.

But, as mentioned earlier, the person you're talking to is sensitive to the conditions on the road, and will usually stop talking if you're coming up to a major junction that requires more attention. And, as mentioned earlier, they can also alert you to any dangers that you may miss if your attention is divided.

Texting is obviously bad; hands free talking should be used rarely, but can be essential to small business owners such as my dad who has to drive long distances frequently

Is there evidence that points to this as enough of a threat? In the last 10 years, the number of motor vehicle deaths declined (both relative to the population and in nominal numbers) significantly in the United States. During that same time, the population owning cell phones increased dramatically, as did usage.

Yeah, the funny thing is, if the numbers were actually reversed, and a rise in mobile phone usage correlated strongly with a rise in deaths on the roads, he'd be posting that graph as a rebuttal.

Is there evidence that points to this as enough of a threat? In the last 10 years, the number of motor vehicle deaths declined (both relative to the population and in nominal numbers) significantly in the United States. During that same time, the population owning cell phones increased dramatically, as did usage.

A quick chart to illustrate the fallacy of this statement:

(of course all numbers are fictitious…)

Attachments

• quick-chart.jpg
    quick-chart.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 131
There is research on it being significantly deadly but I'm too lazy to check the literature. :(

A quick chart to illustrate the fallacy of this statement:
I'm aware of the problems that arise from my line of thinking, but the overall danger of driving has decreased since the widespread introduction of cell phones. Thus, I'm not terribly worried about the cost in lives that occurs on an annual basis. Getting into my car is a calculated risk, just as many other things are.

Unlazified myself slightly.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-6090342-7.html

Is having a cell phone pressed to your ear while behind the wheel the equivalent of driving while intoxicated? According to a study by University of Utah psychologists, the answer is, unfortunately, yes.

"Just like you put yourself and other people at risk when you drive drunk, you put yourself and others at risk when you use a cell phone and drive," writes David Strayer, a psychology professor and the study's lead author. "The level of impairment is very similar."

The study, published in the June 29 issue of Human Factors: The Journal of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, found that drivers talking on cell phones, either handheld or hands-free, are more likely to crash because they are distracted by conversation.

Using a driving simulator under four different conditions: with no distractions, using a handheld cell phone, talking on a hands-free cell phone, and while intoxicated to the 0.08 percent blood-alcohol level, 40 participants followed a simulated pace car that braked intermittently.

Researchers found that the drivers on cell phones drove more slowly, braked more slowly and were more likely to crash. In fact, the three participants who collided into the pace car were chatting away. None of the drunken drivers crashed.

"This study does not mean people should start driving drunk," said co-author Frank Drews. "It means that driving while talking on a cell phone is as bad as or maybe worse than driving drunk, which is completely unacceptable and cannot be tolerated by society."

Preliminary results from the study were announced three years ago.

Another article: http://www.unews.utah.edu/p/?r=062206-1

But surely talking while you're driving shouldn't be illegal in any sort of way, right?
It should be for people who get too involved in the conversation. Most people simply don't pay near enough attention to driving their vehicles. Distractions can come from any source that stops you from paying sufficient attention to your surroundings.

It makes me fear for my life.
Indeed.

I agree with this statement. Talking on hands free is equivalent to talking to someone in the car with you.

I also agree. Texting should be a felony offense if the car is moving: reckless endangerment. Talking on a hand phone while the car is moving? Misdemeanor, with a nice fine attached to it.

To be quite honest I talk on my cellphone while driving every now and then, even shoot a txt message once in a while. I've never wrecked, gotten into an accident or even come close to doing either.

I think honestly that some people maybe can't handle it. But these new laws are stupid. Just another way for the government to collect some pocket change with extra fines.

Texting while driving sounds like pure insanity. Talking while driving just requires intelligence and enough strength to operate your car at a reduced speed.

people texting on cell phones while driving should be shot. no trial, no jury.

As for talking on cell phones some people need to do so for their jobs. I had to talk on my cell phone and drive. How else would I get my calls. I suppose I could pull over to the side of the road, but that in itself can be hazardous and impractical (like on the freeway). I also used a handsfree device. Which should be mandatory. There is no practical way to use your blinkers while holding a cell phone. And a blinker is required by law.

Texting while driving sounds like pure insanity. Talking while driving just requires intelligence and enough strength to operate your car at a reduced speed.

people texting on cell phones while driving should be shot. no trial, no jury.

I really don't think texting while driving is that big of a deal if you text with words instead of letters. I personally text with letters but some of my friends texting with words can write a sentence in a few seconds.

When I shoot a text while driving it's at the stoplight.

I really don't think texting while driving is that big of a deal if you text with words instead of letters. I personally text with letters but some of my friends texting with words can write a sentence in a few seconds.

...no. You're supposed to be paying attention to the road, not fooling off with your friends. If you want to text someone, get off the road. You can absolutely wait until you're in a position to text or call someone (when you're out of the car)

Top Bottom