1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Where'd the old players go?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Fish Man, Aug 24, 2018.

1. elmurcis

elmurcis Emperor

:wow: Wait, its my name there too? :hatsoff: Okay, it just happened one day.. i woke up and... For 3 months completely "clear". And exactly 3 months later just woke up and... I want it again like before. Great feeling :banana:

2. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

It’s funny, I tried playing a game of Civ2 a couple of years ago. I’d completely forgotten the mechanics of the game, let alone what strategies work and what don’t.

3. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

I think on the early versions of civ if you lost a combat you would end up losing entire stacks. Also how you could create spots where Ai might lose huge amount of units attacking a unit on a mountain. Been years since I played civ 2. Does it still work without the need for a cd?

4. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

That was Civ2 – stacked units would all die if the top defender lost, unless you were in a fort or city. The exploit was to take enough workers with your stack to build a 1-turn fort. I can’t remember if Civ1 was 1UPT, but I do remember the mountain exploit.

I think there was a no-CD crack for Civ2 out there, but I never had it. Still have the CD, and a $10 CD/DVD drive in my computer to use it... someday.

5. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Yes a path full of forts to reach the enemy would of been useful. Civ 4 is such a big leap from those days. In civ 2 days the internet was probably just about taking off.

This forum started circa 2003?

6. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Civ 4 is a really old game and people end up with different priorities in their lives. :) I was a high school student and then an undergraduate student when I played my single-player and multi-player games, but now that I've moved on to other stuff in my life, work took over.

I'm still here, except I haven't played in ages. One of these days, I may end up getting that urge to play one more game, but who knows?

plasmacannon likes this.
  7. John.B.C

John.B.C Prince

Though I have never partaken much on the forums (had another account earlier though) I'd like to say that it took me a long time to find something to move on to. In early 2016 I finally found the vox populi mod for civilization V, that made this horrible sequel of Civ IV into a most worthy successor. Now it will take me at least another ten years before I find anything better - if ever - that's how good it is.

Chinese American likes this.
  8. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

Considering how old the game is (in computer game relations) I'm amazed how many of the old crew are still here. Keep it up :)

9. cseanny

cseanny Emperor

I've got a new computer with no games, and on top of that I've sold off my PS3, PS4, and Xbox1. I figured it's about time I grow up and start living life with a new direction and purpose.

cheers.

10. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

+1

I started a game last week after a 5 year hiatus and naturally ended up here a few minutes later :lol: It's good to see that some of the oldest players are still around, and that the forum is still alive! Keep up the good work folks, this game is amazing :goodjob:

11. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Pends on work life balance. If you are playing games 24/7 then that is a bad thing. If you are selling the PS/Xbox to focus on real life maybe that is a good thing. I don't think playing games now and then on a PC is a bad thing. All about balance.

Not a bad place to end up on this forum.

12. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

I don’t think playing an off game of civ4 every once in a while should be considered “gaming”. I find it mentally invigorating and suprisingly not too addictive.

13. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

I probably play about a half dozen games of CIV per year and no other games. I usually play huge maps on marathon. So, I'll play for an evening or more in a row and then come back to pick up the game where I left off anywhere from a few days to a few weeks later.

14. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Hall Monitor Super Moderator

And it's good to see you back! :)

15. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Mentally invigorating for sure, not too addictive... I beg to differ! (I must play that one more turn :mischief:)

:hatsoff:

krikav likes this.
  16. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Not to addictive...?
    There are stories of people managing smoking cessation with the help of civ4, since the urge to play one more turn is higher than the urge to smoke. :)

lindsay40k and RRRaskolnikov like this.
  17. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

Oh I find it extremely addictive, but not once I finish a game. That's why I stick to normal speed/normal size. One game per week, just perfect entertainment for a few hours at saturday afternoon.

18. rah

rah Deity Supporter

back in the days when I still smoked, I lost a MP game once when I figured I was safe for a few minutes to go out for a smoke. I wasn't. :lol:
    But I had no hard feelings and hired the guy that took me out and started him along in a career as a developer.

19. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

:)

elmurcis, krikav and Fish Man like this.
  20. Fish Man

Fish Man Emperor

Welcome back!!! Last time we talked I was struggling on noble. Now I’m playing consistently on deity. Thanks for helping get me there!

plasmacannon and sampsa like this.