1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Where'd the old players go?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Fish Man, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Sync

Sync Chieftain

I wonder where Troytheface went? I miss his Attacko stories.

lindsay40k and krikav like this.
  2. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Fact- I wonder where Troytheface is as well

The evidence is clear- he was the superior. :thumbsup:

3. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Wow, that is very impressive. Well done! :)

Fish Man likes this.
  4. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Chieftain

That is what I am doing - and also hope these forums will be around for them to enjoying couple years from now.

5. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

I remember you now. :old:

You were in BOTM 37, the only game I ever beat Duckweed at anything.

6. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Chieftain

Wow I thought everyone left to rising tide. Its cool to have people in civ 4 still. I used to miss the forum civilization and the other people that play civilization 4. Deity used to be and still is unbeatable to me for single player.

7. shulec

shulec Grrrrr... I AM the force! Hall of Fame Staff

Check out a few Kaitzilla write-ups. He's a deity slayer. I remember the incredible Deity Conquest/domination the same turn and I am thrilled the coin flipped the right way! Then there was the OCC with a Population of over 140.

I was never a civ great. Just persistent. I am not really a gamer, just like Civ I - III and loved the **** out of Civ IV. >IV not for me. Other games not for me.
    Now living the SoCal dream and saw snow in Malibu today!

Chinese American likes this.
  8. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Deity conquest is really hard with 'no city razing'.

Heya Shulec :wavey:
    Haven't seen you in years, hope you are doing well.

Congrats on your Cubs winning the World Series.

9. shulec

shulec Grrrrr... I AM the force! Hall of Fame Staff

Hey! Go Cubbies! Hope you're well too! BTW, you are my favorite Civver. No judgement, no arrogance, complete openness and always supportive. Someone needs to brag for you... so I will!!

But I will still declare at friendly!:aargh:

Major Tom, lymond, Pangaea and 2 others like this.
  10. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

I fondly remember a thread about human diplomacy, or something along those lines. :shifty:

Wish @Seraiel dropped by too. Wrote something on his wall the other day, but it looks like he has left the game for good, or at least not been back in absolute ages.

As for me, I recently bought Witcher 3 on sale, because I learned it finally works well on Linux. Meaning: there is a pretty damn HUGE chance I'll get addicted to that gem rather soon, haha :deadhorse:Have a few BOTM games going, but they're always a slog to finish so not sure I can get there.

Nice to be back, though. This is a great community, and it's so refreshing to see some of the very best players sharing their knowledge to help others. Definitely not like that in all gaming communities.

11. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

You beat @WastinTime a few times though ;)

Kaitzilla likes this.
  12. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

I started these with BOTM 20! :old: Great times. Duckweed is indeed a hell of a good player. I learnt a lot playing a SG with him (deity challengers iirc).

13. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Indeed! I've seen a lot of great players over the years, including the ones still active..and you! But, man, Duck used to just blow my mind with the things he could do. He and Rusten played the two most amazing games I've seen here. I still in no way comprehend a 400AD UN DV on normal/noble.

Snatty is another name to drop for his amazing Deity AW series. (hmm..snatty does not appear to even have an account anymore unless I'm misremembering the name)

OMG, Ras changes his avatar after 20 years. Where's the girl?!

Ah..the communal love in this thread brings a tear to my eye...sniff sniff

The Cubbies won the world series :crazyeye::mischief:

14. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Chieftain

It is SnaAty. Two A, 1 T ;)

Attached Files:

lymond likes this.
  15. sabo

sabo My Ancestors were Vikings

I"m still here, there is no one left from when I joined

16. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Hehe, I had the chance to play with both!

Yeap, this thread is indeed a good thing, makes me feel nostalgic, and reread 10 years old threads :lol: (snaaty's ones, Unconquered Sun's, ABigCivFan's, Sisiutil's, rolo's, acidsatyr/Mutineer's, uberfish's, etc...)

The girl is on vacation for now ... She might be back in a while when I am done with vintage gaming mood ... or by popular request! :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  17. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Professional Killjoy Moderator

I always liked the girl. :)

18. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

For me the problem was that Civ 4 began to be a chore when other stuff happened (in this order of appearance kid, work, masters degree, kid) and I already achieved high consistency on Deity so no challenge left except SGOTMs. SGOTM actually killed a joy for me as it was too much of obligation considering the high competitive team I was in back then. It was way above 80/20 principle what was needed to get better at the game. I moved to stuff you can play for 15 minutes (shooters) as that is the best you could get without interruptions. I guess a lot of people had similar development in the last 12 years BTS was out there. As the most of the people were between 15 and 25 years old back then, I guess.

However, what makes me return back to the game now and then is Civ 5 and Civ 6. When I see those city building games, nostalgia kicks in and I get back here for couple of months of better empire-like and army-like experience. It is not that they are bad games but they do not really expand on civ experience as have games before it.

One more member I actually really miss is Tachywaxon (later changed to Manco Capac). (S)he was carrying the forums in 2011 and 2012. Great player, great contributor and really funky character. I hope she's doing well. Also, kossin. A legend.

19. ThunderLizard2

ThunderLizard2 Chieftain

Civ IV BTS is still tops. Sad what's been done with V and especially VI. Is there hope that VII will take what IV was and more forward?

Chinese American likes this.
  20. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Tell that to me...