Which Book Are You Reading Now? Volume XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd really like to believe that image is rendering at a 1:1 scale, and this thing is the size of a grimoire.

I am reading "A Peace Divided" by Tanya Huff it is the latest in the Confederation/Peacekeeper series

@FriendlyFire: I take it you're recommending that?

As for myself, I'm reading Clavell's Asian Saga in chronological order. There's some subtle discrepancies I hadn't noticed before, and wo-wee how interesting that makes them.

Shogun is best. Tai-Pan too.

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco.

I am sad it doesn't have a cool cover. You've spoiled me.

The original cover is a classic.

Robert Heinlein's A Stranger In A Strange Land

Of all the things I expected this novel to be, boring wasn't one of them. By the time it got to the third act and religion came to the forefront I just couldn't care anymore. The ending itself seemed trite and hackneyed.

Also it was transparent the way that Jubil Harshaw served as the mouth of Heinlein. He couldn't make it more than two sentences without going on about libertarian philosophy.

-Jubil, would you like a cup of water?
-I'll get my own water. Having it handed to you breeds dependence and is a symptom of a simple mind. Now I don't mind simple minds, mind you, but I do want to avoid becoming one myself!

(basically)

Also he failed to differentiate the characters with dialogue. They all spoke with the same mannerisms and affectations.

I was reallly dissapointed with this book, I expected much more. I know he's guilty in general of philosophizing with his characters too much for the story's good but I thought this was one of his best works. :(

Heinlein is one of those guys who can't be trusted for more than two hundred pages.

One should be suspect of people who tend to write longer than that in general.

I read Stranger in Strange Land years ago. I only knew the silly Starship Troopers movie and knew Heinlein was a big name, so I spontaniously got the book when I saw it in a bookstore.

Haven't read Heinlein since...

I read a fair amount of Heinlein many years ago. But haven't read him recently. May have to give it a try sometime.

I read Stranger in a Strange Land earlier this year and felt it was a lot like a John Grisham novel - interesting for about 100 pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom