Which Films have you seen lately? Number K'. Someone was spreading lies about Joseph 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, Sir Ian was already 75 when they made the film. How much makeup was really necessary?
Quite a bit, because in 2019 a 75-year-old-man with a certain standard of living would not necessarily look as bad as a 60-year-old a hundred years earlier.
An Ian McKellen with no or little make-up would be the Sherlock Holmes from the flashbacks and then a quite aged one for the ‘present-day’ iteration.

Or, perhaps, as some say, the trick is that there is no trick? It's one for Penn and Teller to decipher.

Last edited:
Fair enough!

Wanted (2008) - This movie is an experience. Like, if you watched a low budget knock off of The Matrix while on an acid trip with a little bit of Minority Report and Fight Club thrown in kind of experience.

Reading or watching an explanation for Mulholland Drive is amusing ;)

We finished it on Saturday night and I hit TvTropes/Wikipedia. Still not sure what I saw. As I told him, it's replaced The Tenant as the weirdest film I've seen!

I watched The Dirt yesterday, the Motley Crue biopic, or whatever you wanna call it. I knew absolutely nothing about the band before I watched the movie, aside from the fact that they were "an 80s glam rock band or something like that". For the longest time I didn't even know what the name of the band actually meant. It took me a while to learn about the phrase "motley crew" and its meaning - and after that many years passed until I thought of the band again and connected the dots. So, for several decades I vaguely assumed it was some sort of a German glam metal band or just a bunch of doofuses making up words and adding umlauts to them. In the end I was 66% right, but let's not dwell on the details..

I knew Tommy Lee was in the band actually, that's the only thing I pretty much knew. But to be fair I knew nothing about him aside from the things I saw in those sex tapes

I really liked it. The movie that is. The Dirt. I have no idea how accurate it is and what things have changed or whatever, but the movie itself was really well done. It made me want to listen to some Motley Crue, in particular their top hits. Some of them sound familiar, but it's another band that's now easy to explore via spotify,.. so next time I'm feeling in a metal mood, I am putting them on

I knew absolutely nothing about the band before I watched the movie
Surely you cannot be serious! You must have at least listened to them on V-Rock.

Surely you cannot be serious! You must have at least listened to them on V-Rock.
Had to google that. I never played that much GTA

When these guys were popular in the 1980s, I was in West germany listening to David Hasselhoff sing about freedom. Also some Bon Jovi. When we moved to Canada, other music was taking over, and glam rockers were long gone

Had to google that. I never played that much GTA
:twitch:
warpus said:
When these guys were popular in the 1980s, I was in West germany listening to David Hasselhoff sing about freedom. Also some Bon Jovi. When we moved to Canada, other music was taking over, and glam rockers were long gone
Oh yes, well, things change, but even so Mötley Crüe is icönic. They out-glammed more or less the rest of glam metal by themselves.

Änd they pöpularïsëd the übiquitöus ümläuts.

Ÿëṡ, I kṅöẅ ẗḧäẗ.

But Motley Crue went… bigger. And with more ümlauts. And more glam.

I don't think anybody could've ever talked Lemmy Kilmister into getting Motley Crue gear on.

80’s hair metal bands were heavily influenced by “glam rock” of the ‘70s, but it was not the genre. Glam Metal would also be apt, but not commonly used term. I’d say Kiss was the biggest influence on those 80s bands and essentially the first “glam metal “ band, though if you asked Simmons or Stanley, they’d just tell ya they were a rock n roll band.

Last edited:
Yeah, Lemmy also insisted that Motörhead played rock'n'roll. I've heard the same from AC/DC band members. Motörhead also had a strikingly large fanbase in the punk environment.

There were plenty of prog rock/hard rock/metal bands in the 70s that took their inspiration from 50s and 60s rock and blues artists.

I don't think anybody could've ever talked Lemmy Kilmister into getting Motley Crue gear on.
Lemmy did help to make Twisted Sister popular in the UK.
Yeah, Lemmy also insisted that Motörhead played rock'n'roll. I've heard the same from AC/DC band members. Motörhead also had a strikingly large fanbase in the punk environment.
There's a trend among older hard rock bands where they tried to avoid and distance themselves from the heavy metal label, the most famous being Led Zeppelin.

Last edited:
Lemmy did help to make Twisted Sister popular in the UK.

There's a trend among older hard rock bands where they tried to avoid and distance themselves from the heavy metal label, the most famous being Led Zeppelin.

Interesting. I've never really considered Led Zep a de facto heavy metal band myself, nor Deep Purple from the same era. More blues inspired rock for sure. Black Sabbath on the other hand... yeah, metal all the way. :)

BS are black metal, iirc. Most (big name) metal seems to be of the thrash/power variety.
I watched the trailer for the MC movie, but not only did I not recognize any of the songs, they all sounded rather trite imo.

Interesting. I've never really considered Led Zep a de facto heavy metal band myself, nor Deep Purple from the same era. More blues inspired rock for sure. Black Sabbath on the other hand... yeah, metal all the way. :)
It kind of depends on the generation and how heavy metal tends to get heavier to the point where earlier bands are no longer considered heavy enough to be metal (I've once heard that Iron Maiden should be considered a hard rock band because they're not heavy enough to be metal). Those seventies hard rock bands have at some point been called heavy metal with the members of those bands trying hard to avoid being associated with the term at all, except for Deep Purple who consider themselves the grandfathers of heavy metal.

The only one of those seventies bands that everyone agrees is heavy metal is Black Sabbath.

The same can be said for the first heavy metal song. Ask musicians from the seventies and eighties and there's no shared opinion on what's the first heavy metal song (I know Geddy Lee considers Blue Cheer's cover of Summertime Blues to be the first heavy metal song). Later heavy metal musicians point to Black Sabbath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom