Which Films have you seen lately? Number K'. Someone was spreading lies about Joseph 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flower Moon Killaz -

Martin Scorsese: “I’m Old. I Want to Tell Stories, and There’s No More Time”​

The 80-year-old auteur’s latest film, Killers of the Flower Moon, premieres this week at the Cannes Film Festival.
Martin Scorsese, whose eagerly anticipated new film, Killers of the Flower Moon, is set to premiere at the 2023 Cannes Film Festival is getting candid about his mortality.

Speaking about his latest project, which reunites two of his preeminent leading men, Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert De Niro, Scorsese told Deadline that he’s “got to” get started on his next movie. “I wish I could take a break for eight weeks and make a film at the same time,” he said with a laugh. “The whole world has opened up to me, but it’s too late. It’s too late.”

When asked to elaborate, the 80-year-old Oscar winner said: “I’m old. I read stuff. I see things. I want to tell stories, and there’s no more time. [Filmmaker Akira] Kurosawa, when he got his Oscar, when George [Lucas] and Steven [Spielberg] gave it to him, he said, ‘I’m only now beginning to see the possibility of what cinema could be, and it’s too late.’ He was 83. At the time, I said, ‘What does he mean?’ Now I know what he means.”

Scorsese has previously acknowledged his career’s ticking clock. Last year he lamented missing the opportunity to work with Goodfellas star Ray Liotta one more time before the actor’s untimely death. In 2013, Scorsese also got introspective about his films: “There’s only a couple more left if I get to make them.” That was during the press tour for The Wolf of Wall Street. Since then, Scorsese has helmed 2016’s Silence and 2019’s The Irishman, in addition to taking on various TV projects and producing gigs.

Killers of the Flower Moon, which also costars Lily Gladstone and Jesse Plemons, is based on the best-selling book of the same name by David Grann and features a screenplay by Eric Roth and Scorsese. It follows the murders of members of the oil-rich Osage Nation in 1920s Oklahoma, a series of horrific crimes known as the “Reign of Terror.” The film will screen out of competition at Cannes on Saturday, May 20, at the Grand Théâtre Lumière. Following its festival debut, the movie will receive a prime awards-season bow with a limited theatrical release on October 6, going wide on October 20 in the US before streaming globally on Apple TV+.

Will probably watch it today.
Shot in the still is from this city, the coastal avenue. Too bad Angelopoulos died (in a stupid accident), he would have filmed even more great movies.

The protagonist is the one who played Hitler later on. Iirc he is now dead too.

I've seen the Dungeons And Dragons movie on Saturday, and I have to say, if you like fantasy, this is absolutely a must-see. I was very well entertained, overall a great film.
D&D just arrived on Paramount+ today for those who subscribe! Plan to watch it sometime this weekend.

Dungeons & Dragons is indeed very good. Any time a movie of this ilk comes along I always cringe, as there is a really very poor history of fantasy game adaptations or really game adaptations in general. This movie finally does it right. With very fine production values and acting to a really sharp script, this has to be the best I've seen by far. Most of my D&D knowledge comes from playing some of the older video games like Neverwinter. The movie does a really great job of giving nods to the game, characters, places, and creatures. You even have a gelatinous blob thing (forget what they called that creature in D&D) that played an active role. And to top it off, the movie is genuinely funny. Thoroughly entertained the whole way through.

One thing I especially liked about this movie is that it was not cheesy. Movies like this tend to try to spell things out for the viewers, like the characters' classes or species. As far as I recall, there was only one time that a main character's class was explicitly mentioned (Rege-Jean Page of Bridgerton fame), and likely worked in that case as the class is fairly complex.

The one class/species I could not quite figure out was Sophia Lillis' (It) character. By the way, her shape-changing character provides some of the most awesome scenes in the movie - just well-done action. And she uses a hybrid creature switch that is both hilarious and cool. I'll leave a spoiler here on what that creature is for those interested, but note it'll be more fun to watch the movie to find out:
Spoiler Doric's strongest beast :
Owl-Bear

I agree with J that this movie is a must-watch for any fan of fantasy and RPG games. Honestly, I can't think of a movie right now that did this right - this level of quality across the board.

Last edited:
Watching the Angelopoulos movie. I like some scenes (imagery) but can't say the story or language manages to reach me.

1684618687775.png

View of the border, with stylized imobile climbers on the fence.

Like Nightmare on Elmstreet where Freddy always gets me, Chain Lightning hits one bad guy and then all of my own party.
4/10 consider yourself being looked at dubiously by the negative reviews witch.
A hex on you and your progeny, negative review witch! :lol: ;) Seriously though, how did you not like this movie? I actually thought of you after watching and thought to myself this is something My might actually enjoy. (One thing I'm never been clear on is how the humor translates...I found this movie to be so funny without being cheesy about it. )

Re-watched Mike Leigh's Secrets & Lies and del Toro's Nightmare Alley. It was just too hot to stay outside this afternoon, so I had my little home movie moment.

The one class/species I could not quite figure out was Sophia Lillis' (It) character. By the way, her shape-changing character provides some of the most awesome scenes in the movie - just well-done action. And she uses a hybrid creature switch that is both hilarious and cool.

Well, I'm no D&D player, but in Diablo, the character/class who specializes in shapeshifting is the Druid.

She's a tiefling druid. Shape changing is kind of their thing. :)

A hex on you and your progeny, negative review witch! :lol: ;) Seriously though, how did you not like this movie? I actually thought of you after watching and thought to myself this is something My might actually enjoy. (One thing I'm never been clear on is how the humor translates...I found this movie to be so funny without being cheesy about it. )
I will not write serious (negative) reviews anymore, i think nobody wants to see that..some fantasy fun & references instead works.
But if you look at imdb 1 star reviews you prolly get a good idea what i thought as well :)
(1 star is silly too and done just to vote others down)

Finished watching Eternity and A day.
Despite some excellent cinematography, the story itself felt rather too personal, and (crucial in my case) I just could not identify with the main character.
In very general lines, it is about a person who mostly was living in his artistic world (a writer), but still felt some remorse for not being there as much as he could have had, for his family.
There is obvious symbolism, which to me was not helpful, though the movie did get an international award and had very positive reviews.

It's the first movie of Angelopoulos I watched to the end. Earlier movies were similar, but more devastating (very characteristic is one with two children that try to find their father, and in the end, realizing this won't happen, convince themselves their father is a tree)

1684699505606.png

Last edited:
I will not write serious (negative) reviews anymore, i think nobody wants to see that..some fantasy fun & references instead works.
Oh no, do write negative reviews. Some films just deserve it.

Oh no, do write negative reviews. Some films just deserve it.
Sure if you are in a group or community where it's likely that some peoples agree, they might enjoy reading film rants.
But if you find yourself on the opposite side with 90% chance? There are countless examples..

Dune - Prey - D&D - Don't look up - which for me are all instant gratification films (in lack of a better english term) without meat or jokes that i really remember..or stories that take me on board..or valid ambience and not just showing off some high tech. When peoples praise them like they are the next classic Predator or Braveheart or TSR or Groundhog Day you just cannot win as film critic..and should take your opinions elsewhere.
It's like going into the Civ6 forums and telling them this game stinks.

The one from about 20 years ago?

Oh. I haven't watched that one yet.

The one class/species I could not quite figure out was Sophia Lillis' (It) character.
I thought she's a dark elf druid, the latter from the changes, the former from the back story she tells.
I might be wrong though.

I thought she's a dark elf druid, the latter from the changes, the former from the back story she tells.
I might be wrong though.
Arakhor nailed it above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom