Which movies have you watched? ΙΔ' - The House of Asterion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw "The Ninth Gate" by Roman Polanski. Absolutely great thriller. Really, my only criticism is that all of the supernatural stuff was not just unnecessary but incredibly wacky, out of place and comedic. I had seen the movie before, but that was years ago. This is definitely one you can watch multiple times.

That's one of my favorite movies ever, I hope you enjoyed it. I won't spoil it for you with a long-winded interpretation, I'm just gonna say "the box is the key" and leave you with that. This is one of those movies that click only after repeated viewings.

That Hobo scene literally burnt itself into my mental. It's honestly as bad as the guy with the bear-mask from shining. I was an adult when I first saw MD and still got quite the trauma from that scene. But honestly still not as bad as Inland Empire, in terms of spooks that one is pure nightmare fuel.

Alan Shaw has some great writing about MD:

https://mulholland-drive.net/analysis/analysis01.htm
https://mulholland-drive.net/analysis/analysis11.htm

This surface-level interpretation I think works for almost any Lynch movie, but only to a certain point. I think Lynch movies can be analyzed in different ways with valid results: You can look at the plot and deduce some kind of worldly interpretation (yours), you can look at the themes/symbolism (I do that a lot but it's kinda lame) or you can take apart the cinematography (like you would with, say, a Kubrick) and that almost always yields something interesting.

I disagree with that interpretation of delusion (also I don't think it applies to other Lynch movies. You could very well argue that, for example, Lost Highway is about the psychogenic fugue, and that would be a valid interpretation, but there are better ones out there.) But it's certainly one working interpretation.

A lot of people will also say "David Lynch is just dream logic" etc., which is also kind of bullfeathers. Clearly some of Lynchs movies follow conventional logic (Elephant Man), some almost exclusively follow dream logic (Eraserhead), others are intermixed. This I feel is another cop-out interpretation. It's like saying "Well, James Joyce was just a really wacky guy who liked language games". Not really wrong, but not saying much.

I don't think that Lynch is "dream logic", but only because that would mean some impossibly complex web of allegories. He may be more intuitive (not having a set meaning for many of his scenes) than it is usually presumed, though.

Of course you are right that there can be many interpretations. I just use my own, which is centered on mostly conscious allegorical design, but it may not account for most of the stuff in his films. Yet symbols are obviously the core part. Projection is inevitable, at any rate - for example for me the "Inland Empire" is some part which is landlocked, away from every easy entrance point, and should refer to repressed memory (I assume of the abused slav heroine of that film). My suspicion was in general that the real heroine is that slav (prostitute?) shown in a few scenes, and then self-hypnotized by watching some american sitcom which stars the false heroine. But really, Lynch doesn't bother to make much clear, and imo this isn't a good idea, when done to this degree, cause you rely too much on goodwill of your audience.

Saw "The Ninth Gate" by Roman Polanski. Absolutely great thriller. Really, my only criticism is that all of the supernatural stuff was not just unnecessary but incredibly wacky, out of place and comedic. I had seen the movie before, but that was years ago. This is definitely one you can watch multiple times.

I preferred the way the book handled the girl. It was purposely made unclear whether she was a demon, an angle angel, or as she claimed to be, a college girl/

Last edited:
I preferred the way the book handled the girl. It was purposely made unclear whether she was a demon, an angle, or as she claimed to be, a college girl/

yeah in the movie they were all like "woah careful there! she's probably a witch!" only for them to turn around and go "woah! turns out she's the good of witch"

some things were a bit too obvious, viewers wouldve picked up on them without all the holding hands

I don't think that Lynch is "dream logic", but only because that would mean some impossibly complex web of allegories. He may be more intuitive (not having a set meaning for many of his scenes) than it is usually presumed, though.

very much agree on the bolded part. as for Inland Empire, I agree with you that the slav woman serves a central role. you might remember there being some talk about a polish fairy tale in the movie. I think that's part of the key for that movie, but still haven't fleshed out my thoughts enough. https://inland-empire.fandom.com/wiki/Vier_Sieben

Just watched Glass. Have to say that in the end it was a pretty good movie, but while in progress there were long stretches that were only saved by James McAvoy's performance. I'd say there hasn't been a creepier role since Heath Ledger's Joker.

I don't like McAvoy at all. He is a good actor, though - I just detest what I have seen in interviews :)

Basically comes across as a chav version of Russel Crowe & Tugger.

I'm rooting around in the dustbins of memory...and I don't think I've ever seen him in an interview. That seems a little odd, actually. He is a really good actor though, so maybe not seeing him do anything else is a good thing.

Hm...

I mean I only saw the first 16 min by now. But this is the most brutal film I have seen, I think.
That Santa Sangre figure is really devastating :/

(a film by Alejandro Jodorowsky)

Edit:

... This movie isn't for the faint of heart.

Last edited:
Zombieland 2 : Double Tap it's a decent choice I think. Not as original and funny as the part 1 Zombieland but I enjoyed it. Actors got older 9 years (Colubus seemed like he didn't aged a minute - probably all the sunscreen he uses) jokes were "reheated" but there's Bill Murray in it so it's not so bad.

6,5/10 on my movie-o-meter :)

It should be better than Terminator 3............not that that's saying much.....

Or Terminator 4… not that that's saying much either…
Or Terminator 5… not that that's saying much either…

It should be better than Terminator 3............not that that's saying much.....
Fwiw, I rather liked the story of T3. I didn't agree with the casting, though.
Spoiler :
It's sad that we'll never get another John Connor specific movie again because of what happens at the beginning of Dark Fate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom