Which movies have you watched? IE': NO CAPES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warriors_of_the_Dawn

Plot

To avoid invading Japanese forces, King Seonjo escapes to the Ming Empire and abandons his people in the process. In his place, Prince Gwanghae (Yeo Jin-goo) leads the royal court and confronts the enemies with the help of proxy soldiers led by To-woo (Lee Jung-jae). Proxy soldiers consist of those who are paid to serve in the military on behalf of others.
This is based on a true story about the Imjin War 1592, the king fled and the Prince rallied the people. How much of the movie is actual factual ... that's another tale.

Last edited:
Have you watched The Admiral: Roaring Currents, abradley?
Actually I was going to complain because i thought you were excluding Cape Fear, which is a classic twice over.
There's a difference between calling me a peon and calling me somebody who would exclude Cape Fear.

Have you watched The Admiral: Roaring Currents, abradley?

There's a difference between calling me a peon and calling me somebody who would exclude Cape Fear.

My bad. By the way, when you went over the side in the bag with the rocks there was a rope attached. We pulled you up and ate you.

Actually I was going to complain because i thought you were excluding Cape Fear, which is a classic twice over.
OMG what a classic... both times... the DeNiro version with him under the car still gives me chills... I watched it for the first time on video, in the dark, with a girlfriend, and she was ready to marry me just for "protecting her" through that movie... that's how scary it was. After I told my mom how awesome the movie was, she told me it was actually a remake, and we watched the original together. Obviously some of the suspense was blown, but it was excellent in spite of that... and I usually can't stand black-and-white movies on top of that... so I knew that this one was something special.

OMG what a classic... both times... the DeNiro version with him under the car still gives me chills... I watched it for the first time on video, in the dark, with a girlfriend, and she was ready to marry me just for "protecting her" through that movie... that's how scary it was. After I told my mom how awesome the movie was, she told me it was actually a remake, and we watched the original together. Obviously some of the suspense was blown, but it was excellent in spite of that... and I usually can't stand black-and-white movies on top of that... so I knew that this one was something special.

Comparing an original and a remake can teach a lot about how acting has devolved. Cape Fear was great and had great acting both times, so less instructive, but there was an awful movie called Thirteen Ghosts. It was awful, and the remake that I can't explain why anyone made was also awful, but there is a scene in both movies where the female lead is terrorized in her bed by a ghost that more or less possesses the room. In the original, this is represented by (it looked to me) a rubber sheet being tacked to the wall with a guy behind it thrashing around, some weird music and moaning, and despite the cheesiness of the movie a very credible job by the actress at acting scared, slowly building up to acting terrified as she remained the focal point of the shot with glimpses of rubber sheet guy appearing in various places. She was not a great actress. Frankly, if she was she wouldn't have been in this movie. But she did have to act.

Needless to say, in the remake this scene was a showcase of state of the art at the time effects as the walls stretched and distorted and for some reason lit up in a glowing kaleidoscope of swirling colors. This was interleaved with brief shots of the actress; whose entire function was to lie on the bed and scream her lungs out. Didn't really matter if she looked scared, or board, or aroused, or what, because the camera never really lingered on her long enough to see and there was no particular reason why the audience would care anyway. Casting for this part, I have little doubt, involved "Can you scream? Do you have a SAG card? Will you work for guild minimum? Okay then."

Heh, yes. I've been rewatching Star Wars (again) and the writing and directing for super-CGI Yoda in Eps. II and III is nothing compared to the clunky ugly Yoda puppet-doll in Ep. V (watched it this afternoon). It's just wonderful in the latter and meh in the former.

Also, I have never watched the first version of Cape Fear, only the ones with Nick Nolte and Kelsey Grammer.

Heh, yes. I've been rewatching Star Wars (again) and the writing and directing for super-CGI Yoda in Eps. II and III is nothing compared to the clunky ugly Yoda puppet-doll in Ep. V (watched it this afternoon). It's just wonderful in the latter and meh in the former.

Also, I have never watched the first version of Cape Fear, only the ones with Nick Nolte and Kelsey Grammer.

Cape Fear has the advantage that effects really play no part, it is just human actors doing a magnificent job with a perfectly crafted script. As long as you keep casting great actors you can remake that every thirty years and every one of them will be a classic. You should catch the first one if you ever have the chance.

Blue Streak. Annoying movie with bad overacting and poor humour. DNF. 3/10.

Saw the latest Terminator this weekend. It was no where near as bad as I expected.
Yeah, it was basically a rehash of the first one, but it was still entertaining.
Of course anyone expecting something new will be disappointed.
Linda still looked pretty buff for her age.

I rewatched Employee of the Month. I'd completely forgotten about this movie until it got added to Netflix. It held up, I think? I remember liking it, and it was fine enough this time around. Not fantastic, mind, but a passable comedy movie. Whatever happened to Dane Cook?

On airplanes I take the opportunity of being stuck for many hours with nothing to do to watch movies that I otherwise would not bother to at a cinema or my place. So on my long flight back from Seattle to Paris last week, I watched these two:

1) Joker: not a bad movie at all, but quite overrated IMO. Joaquin Phoenix's performance was indeed outstanding and he deserved the Oscar, but other than that it's the same old story of society abusing a lovely weirdo who then becomes a super villain. Only in this movie it's coated in the trendy language of mental health. I enjoyed it at the plane but I'm glad I skipped it at the cinema.

2) Jojo Rabbit: this one was... Plain weird. A Hitler Youth comedy that manages to be kind of charming and funny has merits, I guess. And seeing a Maori guy play a flamboyant, imaginary friend Hitler was certainly something. The film has some flaws IMO but it's a nice tale.

I rewatched Employee of the Month. I'd completely forgotten about this movie until it got added to Netflix. It held up, I think? I remember liking it, and it was fine enough this time around. Not fantastic, mind, but a passable comedy movie. Whatever happened to Dane Cook?
He got robbed of millions of dollars (all of his money) by his brother and sister-in-law. The fallout from that affected his career as he had to focus on grinding comedy specials and touring for years to avoid being completely broke.

There is an awesome interview he did where he spoke about all of that on YouTube.

Also he got caught stealing jokes at an egregious level. Everyone in comedy does it but he was among the worst and that, paired with his standup routine not being that great, caught him a lot of grief.

Well, damn. I knew the joke poaching but not that first part. I wonder if he'll get a redemption arc like Brendan Fraser. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom