Which movies have you watched? xi --- straight to dvd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sniper :goodjob: Mark Wahlberg is a betrayed, retired, bitter sniper named Bobbie Lee Swagger who is recruited for one more job. You can fill in the government-conspiracy plot.:sniper:Lots of paranoid fun.

"Bobby Lee Swagger"? :lol: That sounds like a Will Ferrell satire.

Saw Inside Man today. My hat is off to a well written perfect-crime movie. :hatsoff:IMHO, this is second best only to "Die Hard."
It's a very good one, with a villain for a protagonist and all.
Just watched Paul last night, it was a nice little movie.
Hell yeah! Sigourney Weaver FTW.
"Bobby Lee Swagger"? :lol: That sounds like a Will Ferrell satire.
Stereotypes are deceiving. ‘Billy Bob’ sounds like a caricature Southerner, especially with ‘Thornton’ as a surname, but instead he's a really good actor.

Arrival - real cool movie. Seemed like a cliche at the beginning but turned out to be very enjoyable. Must watch for scifi fans.

Lake Mungo - surprisingly good psychological horror/drama. I absolutely didn't expect to enjoy it so much. It's a "documentary" about a family dealing with grief after their 16 year old daughter dies, mixed with elements of supernatural. Unbelievably captivating due to excellent acting, interesting story and a very dreamy like atmosphere. No cheap jump scares or tricks.

Just saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri yesterday. Great film. Not the typically popular big screen action movie, but a great film. No doubt it will get a fair amount of Oscar buzz.

Side note...has anyone signed up for MoviePass? One of my gf's coworkers has and it looks really good. A lot like the original NetFlix, where for a flat monthly fee they sent you DVDs as fast as you wanted to watch them. This is a flat monthly fee that gives you access to movie theaters. It isn't unlimited, since you can't see a movie more than once and you can't see more than one movie per day, but if you go to two movies per month you are ahead of the monthly fee. I immediately thought "I'm retired and could actually go to the movies three or four times a week if there were enough that I wanted to see."

However, closely reading the terms of use revealed that they have the right to unilaterally change your monthly rate based on your usage. I don't know if they would, but they could. I'm thinking I'll sign up, and probably go once a week or so, just to see if they try to raise my rates, but if someone has already tried it and has an opinion, let me know.

Side note...has anyone signed up for MoviePass? One of my gf's coworkers has and it looks really good. A lot like the original NetFlix, where for a flat monthly fee they sent you DVDs as fast as you wanted to watch them. This is a flat monthly fee that gives you access to movie theaters. It isn't unlimited, since you can't see a movie more than once and you can't see more than one movie per day, but if you go to two movies per month you are ahead of the monthly fee. I immediately thought "I'm retired and could actually go to the movies three or four times a week if there were enough that I wanted to see."

However, closely reading the terms of use revealed that they have the right to unilaterally change your monthly rate based on your usage. I don't know if they would, but they could. I'm thinking I'll sign up, and probably go once a week or so, just to see if they try to raise my rates, but if someone has already tried it and has an opinion, let me know.

Yep, sent the deets to a friend down in Seattle and so far it's working just fine with AMC. They went to 2 movies in November and plan on doubling that to 4 this month.

I don't expect it'll last for a long time, it's only recently that they got exposure and changed things around, but while it lasts... it's a deal that's hard to pass up, really. It pays itself off pretty fast as you've mentioned.

Coco is a beautiful film: visually, musically, and emotionally. The social commentary on famous people having dark secrets is timely, intentional or otherwise.
May have to rewatch it, since some scenes acquire new undertones and meanings with greater knowledge.

I can't wait to see Coco.

I saw Free State of Jones and let me tell you, if you are into seeing slavers get murdered, this is the film for you.

Spoiler :

My favorite scene is when McConaughey strangles a CSA general to death with his belt in a church. :lol:

I have no idea how historically accurate the movie is (it says its based on true events) but its about a man in Mississippi that led a slave and poor person revolt in rural Mississippi during the ACW. They set up their own government and whooped the hell out of the confederates. The movie also jumps to the 50's where McCanaughey's descendant is being persecuted for his racial heritage.

It's a great movie all around and while it has some awesome feel-good moments, overall its very dark and tragic.

The movie also had this moment of awesome foreshadowing. As everyone knows, after the war ended, the South acted to essentially re-institute slavery and attack free blacks. The moment where this starts in the movie is brilliantly shown when an official takes down a sign for "Jones County" and replaces it with the new sign for "Jefferson Davis County". They don't linger on this scene but if you are paying attention you know ****'s about to get really real.

Innerspace did not age well. Although watching people get shrunk and attacking other people with tiny little Donald Trump hands was kind of amusing.

It was far more violent and far less rapey than I anticipated. I hadn't seen any trailers so I didn't know what to expect. I was thankful they weren't graphic in depictions of sexual violence. I'm not keen on it and I feel so often it's gratuitous in movies. Free State of Jones hinted at it but never showed it; they didn't need to.

They did show lots of Confederates and African Americans meeting violent fates.

@Timsup2nothin
I have not tried movie pass. I've been thinking about getting it but it seems the only time I see a news story on the services it's because another movie chain has moved to restrict it in various ways.

Just saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri yesterday. Great film. Not the typically popular big screen action movie, but a great film. No doubt it will get a fair amount of Oscar buzz.

Idk most movies I'd rather watch from the comfort of my couch anyway. I really only like theaters for big action flicks any more like marvel movies, star wars, maybe alien covenant last summer. For dramas I like them better at home, you can digest it better I guess? Pause and rewind parts that are confusing if there are any in like a spy movie or something.

Idk most movies I'd rather watch from the comfort of my couch anyway. I really only like theaters for big action flicks any more like marvel movies, star wars, maybe alien covenant last summer. For dramas I like them better at home, you can digest it better I guess? Pause and rewind parts that are confusing if there are any in like a spy movie or something.

I agree. Even with this MoviePass thing I would most likely just go see the kind of big action flicks that are seriously better at the theater...though I think a lot of spy movies would be action movies as well that I might see at the theater.

Depends on the movie. I hate movies like bourne series at the theater cus I can never follow the story line and go wait, what? a lot and rewind to catch up. Guess I'm getting old.

I can't wait to see Coco.

I saw Free State of Jones and let me tell you, if you are into seeing slavers get murdered, this is the film for you.

Spoiler :

My favorite scene is when McConaughey strangles a CSA general to death with his belt in a church. :lol:

I have no idea how historically accurate the movie is (it says its based on true events) but its about a man in Mississippi that led a slave and poor person revolt in rural Mississippi during the ACW. They set up their own government and whooped the hell out of the confederates. The movie also jumps to the 50's where McCanaughey's descendant is being persecuted for his racial heritage.

It's a great movie all around and while it has some awesome feel-good moments, overall its very dark and tragic.

The movie also had this moment of awesome foreshadowing. As everyone knows, after the war ended, the South acted to essentially re-institute slavery and attack free blacks. The moment where this starts in the movie is brilliantly shown when an official takes down a sign for "Jones County" and replaces it with the new sign for "Jefferson Davis County". They don't linger on this scene but if you are paying attention you know ****'s about to get really real.

This really isn't as much a movie as a piece owing its existence to very current political power-games. I mean, even films like The Patriot had some value as cinema as well, but this one appears to have been made just so that it can preach to a choir, with no intent of being artistic.
It would be far more logical to not turn films into another blatant gimmick, imo. Yes, black people were treated monstrously, but cinema isn't the place to make a stand for that; surely it isn't in the medium's powers, so how is the Free state of Jones not a ploy to make noise and sell a few tickets for what is otherwise a forgettable movie with cartoon-like villains?

I did watch the film, yet had to fast-forward the part after the end of the war.

This really isn't as much a movie as a piece owing its existence to very current political power-games. I mean, even films like The Patriot had some value as cinema as well, but this one appears to have been made just so that it can preach to a choir, with no intent of being artistic.
It would be far more logical to not turn films into another blatant gimmick, imo. Yes, black people were treated monstrously, but cinema isn't the place to make a stand for that; surely it isn't in the medium's powers, so how is the Free state of Jones not a ploy to make noise and sell a few tickets for what is otherwise a forgettable movie with cartoon-like villains?

I did watch the film, yet had to fast-forward the part after the end of the war.
The Free State of Jones was worth making because it's a film about soldarity across racial lines. It's a film which present violence against African-Americans not just as a crime against African-Americans, as a demographic, but against all free Americans, against the republic itself. That's very rare. Most often, some white saviour descends from above to liberate the poor hapless blacks from their unfortunate but wholly specific condition; cooperation, mutual interest, are not acknowledged, not even entertained. That's how The Patriot addresses racism, to the extent it bothers to address it at all.

The Free State of Jones was worth making because it's a film about soldarity across racial lines. It's a film which present violence against African-Americans not just as a crime against African-Americans, as a demographic, but against all free Americans, against the republic itself. That's very rare. Most often, some white saviour descends from above to liberate the poor hapless blacks from their unfortunate but wholly specific condition; cooperation, mutual interest, are not acknowledged, not even entertained. That's how The Patriot addresses racism, to the extent it bothers to address it at all.

Hm, why do you think the FSOJ isn't about a 'white savior'? To me it looked like it was (well, to the extent one could deem it as organized enough to come across as being about any progression in the first place; it seemed to mostly be a piece set so that you can have a confederate high-rank be executed in a new way :D ).
It didn't feature solidarity across lines in any meaningfully more drawn-out manner than in other such films. Hell, even the Patriot had some of it already - it just also features actually good actors and cinematography, so was enjoyable.

Although i should note that FSOJ couldn't quite reach the heights (lows ;) ) of political cinema that The water-diviner does; at least FSOJ doesn't create its own parallel universe to sell as history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom