Which television shows are you watching? β'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Season 2 of snowfall is great. Gritty, very gritty. It's probably the closest thing to the wire on tv.

I missed humans season 3 and atlanta season 2. I watch the first episode of each but it didn't grab me and I got busy and now they're off on demand. Oh well.

I will start preacher season 3 at some point but I don't have high hopes for it. Season 2 was not that good.

Season 2 of snowfall is great. Gritty, very gritty. It's probably the closest thing to the wire on tv.

I missed humans season 3 and atlanta season 2. I watch the first episode of each but it didn't grab me and I got busy and now they're off on demand. Oh well.

I will start preacher season 3 at some point but I don't have high hopes for it. Season 2 was not that good.
I thought season 2 of Preacher was a bit of a sophomore slump. It seemed so aimless. I kept waiting for the story to start. It also seemed more... mundane. I suppose I knew there was no way it could be as good and as strange as season 1, and it was unfair to expect it to be, but I was still disappointed. I felt the same way about Legion; after the first season, I didn't know how they could possibly keep that up.

I haven't started the 3rd seasons of Humans, The Magicians or Mr. Robot, I'm halfway through season 5 of Orphan Black, and I haven't even begun Fargo, Atlanta, or The Deuce. I'm only a little behind. :lol:

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is pretty great. It has the right amount of millenial-relevance and edgy humor to be entertaining without being cringey. I love her optimism and enthusiasm and I find both her and especially Titus hilarious. The second half of the last season will air next January or February. It only made it to four seasons which sucks. The episodes are also really short but I think it works in the show's favor because it keeps things moving.

ITV/Amazon's Vanity Fair. I've literally laughed out loud a few times.

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan (2018)

A perfectly watchable spy thriller, on the whole. As a fan of the books, back in the day, and of the Alec Baldwin and Harrison Ford movies, it wasn't quite what I was hoping for. I wouldn't bother recommending it to someone who doesn't normally like these types of shows, or who only watches them occasionally.

I've just finished season 1 of Miss Sherlock on HBO. It's set in Japan and all dialogue is subtitled, but I'm not finding that annoying at all and I feel it's easy to follow, and I just love how it really sets a lovely atmosphere. I feel this is maybe my favorite version of Sherlock Holmes I've seen, I'm really enjoying these mysteries and just the right amount of humor and fun, I'm finding all the characters interesting, and this bigger secret was also very enjoyable for me. If you haven't heard of this one or seen it I really highly give it my recommendation!

I've seen the first few eps of Iron Fist season 2. Danny Rand is still a dumbass. Other than that it's hard to figure out where the season is headed so far.

Still enjoying season 1 of The Orrville.

Saw the last couple of episodes of Arrested Development S4 over the weekend. Didn't much enjoy this season (compared to S1-S3), but couldn't figure out what was so off about it until I read the Wiki entry, and realised that we'd actually been watching the 'remixed' Netflix-version. Ugh. Don't think I'll bother with S5 unless wifey insists...

Saw the last couple of episodes of Arrested Development S4 over the weekend. Didn't much enjoy this season (compared to S1-S3), but couldn't figure out what was so off about it until I read the Wiki entry, and realised that we'd actually been watching the 'remixed' Netflix-version. Ugh. Don't think I'll bother with S5 unless wifey insists...
Yeah and they marketed the remixed S4 as if it was S5 and got a lot of people to re-watch it (like myself). To be fair, they did improve that season quite a bit with the remix because the original version was a hot mess.

I watched the first half of S5 and while it was better than S4, it still wasn't really good. They should let it die.

I have been rewatching Breaking Bad. I didn't like it very much the first time I watched it (just after its final episode released, so all the way back in 2013).

However, I've enjoyed it far more during this rewatch. I remember disliking Skyler but I'm now sympathetic towards her.

Oh, I finished Breaking Bad. I still feel as I did above: it's better than it was. However, I remember liking the finale more the first time around, and I actually liked it less this time. Very strange.

Naturally, this means I should move onto Better Call Saul. I did do that and I've watched the first episode. It... was not good. Has anyone here watched it? Is what was shown in the pilot what I should expect for the rest or does it have a rough beginning?

I also watched a stand up routine on Netflix per the recommendation of someone else. Daniel Sloss. My tastes in stand up are finicky. I often only like snippets and not full routines. The only person I've managed to like the full routines of is Donald Glover. I'm pleased to say that has now changed. Daniel Sloss is a Scottish comedian but the routine I watched (there are 2 on Netflix and I watched the first) was for an American audience. It is about religion, disability, the concept of humour, and culture. Crass, but not cringy. I really enjoyed it. I'd recommend it. I laughed a whole lot.

Iron Fist season 2. :thumbsdown:

It's less of a disaster than season 1 was, but nevertheless, it's only for the MCU completists. A couple of good fight scenes, and a twist at the end that seems to set up an intriguing 3rd season if it gets renewed. If you do give it a shot, don't just watch the first half and then give up. Episode 3 was the most tedious for me, but it does get a bit better in the second half of the series.

Iron Fist season 2. :thumbsdown:

It's less of a disaster than season 1 was, but nevertheless, it's only for the MCU completists. A couple of good fight scenes, and a twist at the end that seems to set up an intriguing 3rd season if it gets renewed. If you do give it a shot, don't just watch the first half and then give up. Episode 3 was the most tedious for me, but it does get a bit better in the second half of the series.

I guess I have that to look forward to...

Then again, I didn't think season 1 was too bad. If season 2 was better, then maybe I'll like it quite a bit.

Naturally, this means I should move onto Better Call Saul. I did do that and I've watched the first episode. It... was not good. Has anyone here watched it? Is what was shown in the pilot what I should expect for the rest or does it have a rough beginning?

I found the pilot pretty disappointing too, but the show just keeps improving as it goes on. It does a better job at maintaining a darkly comedic tone than Breaking Bad which was just so depressing in its last two seasons. It's definitely worth going through the few mediocre episodes at the beginning.

I feel like television in 2018 has been underwhelming so far. I think the only shows I would unequivocally recommend are GLOW and Killing Eve.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the first 3 episodes of The First on Hulu. The premise is sci-fi, about the preparations for a manned mission to Mars 15-20 years from now, but it's a character drama. There's some politics, some family drama, only a little of the science and engineering. It's "hard sci-fi" in the sense that's it's near-future, and attempts to be realistic, but it's "soft sci-fi" in the sense that the science and technology play second fiddle to the characters. A little bit like Arthur C. Clarke's stories, in that sense. At the pace it's taking, I would guess that liftoff will be the season finale.

There is zero expository dialogue. It reminds me of a David Mamet script. I know that aggravates some people, but I just adore it. There are a couple of fleeting flashbacks. Normally I want to punch flashbacks in the face, but these work well because they're not story exposition, they're character development.

Anyway, I can't really give it a full "thumbs up" or recommendation yet, since I've only seen 3 episodes, but so far, so good.

Better Call Saul is feeling very masturbatory to me. I don't think I can tough this out. Waaaaay too many coincidental meetings between OG Breaking Bad characters. I also really do not like Saul as a main character. Good as a side character, but as the focus? Eh...

So I guess I'll be moving on to something else. Iron Fist season 2? Bojack Horseman season 5? The choices are endless.

I am not a fan of flashbacks either. The only thing I hate worse are the shows that start with an event for 30 seconds then say something like 8 hours before. Lazy writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom