Which television shows are you watching? Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smallville, Deep Space Nine, Gilmore Girls, and The Office are that for me.
The Office, Friends, Frasier and Futurama are that for me. I've been trying to add The Expanse into that rotation but the wife isn't a fan so it's kind of a non-starter. Parks and Rec used to be on there and sometimes does make it back into the rotation but honestly the final season was such trash that it makes it difficult to get back into it. New Girl and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt will probably make it into the rotation soon.

Just finished the 3rd season of stranger things. Liked it better than the second season. For some reason, i associated the sheriff/dad character with @Timsup2nothin .... maybe because of all the jerk punching !

I was absolutely sure that Orange Is The New Black was over and done with last season, it was such a good ending and a natural conclusion. Now there's another season and it's still good.

Nearly finished with my rewatch of Friends. I've been heavily into 'comfort media' lately where I prefer the same shows I've seen 10 times already over new stuff.
I do that sometimes, too. Episodes of Numb3rs have recently crept into my viewing schedule.

I saw a teaser for season 2 of Mindhunter that I thought it was kind of 'meh.' Only a fool watches or avoids shows or movies based on the trailers, but still, I like seeing good trailers for their own sake. I'd like to see Netflix raise its marketing game a little (the trailer for season 3 of GLOW was a stinker - the trailer for season 2 was great, though).

Finished and re-started Friends last night. I never noticed before that they changed the actress who played Carol (Ross's first baby-mama) after a single episode. The original actress had auditioned to play one of the female leads but was offered a recurring role instead. She accepted at first but then quit to pursue more lucrative gigs.

I was also off-put by an episode in the first season where Ross and Monica's grandmother dies. I get it's a lighthearted comedy but they took it too far to the point it was a bit of a mockery of the process of dying and the grieving of those left behind.

In Friends' defense, it was never meant to be poignant AFAIK. Scrubs perfected that hybridization.

I'm almost through a re-watch of House. I kept putting it off but decided I'd finally get around to it. After having watched it more than once you notice repetitive lines in the script but it's not a big deal as it deals with substance (literally and metaphorically) pretty well.

But in anticipation of almost being through with it, I started watching Fresh Prince of Bel-Air for the first time. Only four episodes in. It has some funny moments in each episode but it keeps randomly breaking the fourth wall and the camerawork is... not the best. It's videoed like shaky home camcorder footage.

In Friends' defense, it was never meant to be poignant AFAIK

I know, it's just they took the lightheartedness too far in that particular episode. It's the only one I've had an issue with that I can recall and even then I was more mildly disappointing than outraged so it's not a big deal for me. I just felt like commenting on it.

I'm almost through a re-watch of House. I kept putting it off but decided I'd finally get around to it. After having watched it more than once you notice repetitive lines in the script but it's not a big deal as it deals with substance (literally and metaphorically) pretty well.
I love House but I wish it were a bit more original with the introduction of new illnesses. It felt like half the time the illness started with a bleeding nose.

I have never seen an episode Friends.

I recently got HBO so there's a ton of things for me to get caught up on.

I just finished the 2 seasons of Barry. Very funny, though everything feels unbelievable. NoHo Hank is one of my favourite characters in any show, ever.

I'm 3/5ths of the way through Chernobyl. It's very well done and very disturbing, but it felt weird at first that the Soviets all have British accents.

Hadn't heard of this until today, but Amazon has a new rotoscoped animated series called Undone coming out in September. And best of all it's starring Rosa Salazar! Fingers crossed it has a compelling story.
I hope it doesn't take them too long to beam it south of the equator.
In Friends' defense, it was never meant to be poignant AFAIK. Scrubs perfected that hybridization.

But in anticipation of almost being through with it, I started watching Fresh Prince of Bel-Air for the first time. Only four episodes in. It has some funny moments in each episode but it keeps randomly breaking the fourth wall and the camerawork is... not the best. It's videoed like shaky home camcorder footage.
You do realise that you're basically me but in summer instead of winter?

I have never seen an episode Friends.
It's really great for a sitcom.
but it felt weird at first that the Soviets all have British accents.
The older I get and the more shows/movies I watch that feature this, the more annoyed I get. In US media a British accent is the lazy casting directors shorthand for 'very smart', 'foreign' or both. Jared Harris is phenomenal though so I forgive this in Chernobyl for his sake alone.

In US media a British accent is the lazy casting directors shorthand for 'very smart', 'foreign' or both.
For ‘evil’, too. See how in Star Wars Imperial officers speak with British (i.e. English) accents and the Rebels speak with US accents.

For ‘evil’, too. See how in Star Wars Imperial officers speak with British (i.e. English) accents and the Rebels speak with US accents.
Hmm I'm trying to think of other instances where that works in this manner and drawing a blank. I think you're right but generally the 'evil' people are also foreign and also smart so you can't differentiate them.

Well, yes, but that goes with the general Cold War era attitude that supergeniuses were evil and foreigners were evil, especially on the Other Side™.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom