White Flight Redux: Self Segregation out of Irrational Fear.

I think it actually is based on race primarily because Chinese people were so unwelcomed by America and its main society. There's even a law that passed in 1882 called the Chinese Exclusion Act that stopped any and all immigration from China so I can imagine that these Chinatowns aren't just about keeping around similar cultures but also because they were one of the few places that they were allowed into or pushed into like ghettos.
Oh, certainly, there's a history there. But in this case, it's not even necessary to cite that history, and by not doing so, we spare ourselves the inevitable complaints of "white guilt".

Those neighborhoods existed within larger 'white' communities, so tribe trumps race... and clan trumps tribe. San Francisco is a racially diverse city, but the neighborhoods are still largely ethnic. Even the gays have their enclaves. Why? Because people self segregate for umpteen reasons and race may be one of the factors. Safety is probably first followed by clan, tribe, job environment, resources, etc.
The point about "clan" is a useful one: a lot of migrant clustering is simply a result of chain migration, the fact that immigrants tend to settle near family members or acquaintances. It's very unlikely that enough white suburbanites are following similar pattern of behaviour for that to explain the sort of segregation that Cutlass highlights.

The loss of clan would partly explain it though... Old timers either die or retire to a warmer climate, kids go off to school or a better job market, and the folks are left behind.

White people have the luxury of not needing to self-segregate by clan in order to find proximity to economic opportunity. Call it "privilege." Their reasons for doing so are entirely different from why you have "black" neighborhoods, Chinatowns, Koreatowns, etc.

What's stopping an affluent person of color from moving into one of these 'white neighborhoods'?

What's stopping an affluent person of color from moving into one of these 'white neighborhoods'?

Legal barriers. Harassment. Towns may not have perfect success in keeping Blacks out. But they have substantial success in doing so.

The harassment I can see. Legal barriers?

There already is a Persian inclusive affluent community. Ever been to Beverly Hills?

Ever heard once you go black you don't go back? Once you go Persian, there's no other version baby.

Zoning. Prevent housing affordable to most Blacks.
He specifically mentioned affluent blacks. Of course expensive housing is a barrier against poor people of all colors.

---

More on topic, the US is indeed very segregated (much more so than the ethnically diverse cities of Europe). But as the OP mentioned, for the most part people move based on subconscious decisions, and racism may be just one factor (and unlike the SJW myth, whites are not the only ones that can be racist. Asians, Hispanics, Arabs... I've met plenty of people of those groups with pretty low opinions of blacks. And or course blacks can be racist too). It's ridiculous to assume that white flight is some deliberate "hoarding of privilege". People start feeling uncomfortable in a neighborhood, or find one where there feel more comfortable, and they move. As the OP mentioned on an ideological level they are all for diversity, so it's not some deliberate plot. It's people seeking their comfort zones. That might have unfortunate consequences, but it's not evil, it's human nature at its purest. Good luck changing that. Actually that would end the day race is separated from culture, but of course SJWs do not want to have that talk.

It's ridiculous to assume that white flight is some deliberate "hoarding of privilege".

But this isn't the argument. The argument is that white flight is the consequence of a deliberate hoarding of privilege. Of course, that isn't to say that some cases aren't caused by the simple racism of the person doing the move - but to deny that a "deliberate hoarding of privilege" is taking place is simply to showcase your ignorance of the situation.

it's human nature at its purest. Good luck changing that.

Warning: bad language ahead
Spoiler :
upload_2017-8-6_8-36-22.png

He specifically mentioned affluent blacks. Of course expensive housing is a barrier against poor people of all colors.

And how do you prevent blacks from becoming prosperous? By voting for conservative politicians who will make laws that make it extremely difficult for them to do so. Sure, some Blacks manage to overcome that. But the majority do not.

---

More on topic, the US is indeed very segregated (much more so than the ethnically diverse cities of Europe). But as the OP mentioned, for the most part people move based on subconscious decisions, and racism may be just one factor (and unlike the SJW myth, whites are not the only ones that can be racist. Asians, Hispanics, Arabs... I've met plenty of people of those groups with pretty low opinions of blacks. And or course blacks can be racist too). It's ridiculous to assume that white flight is some deliberate "hoarding of privilege". People start feeling uncomfortable in a neighborhood, or find one where there feel more comfortable, and they move. As the OP mentioned on an ideological level they are all for diversity, so it's not some deliberate plot. It's people seeking their comfort zones. That might have unfortunate consequences, but it's not evil, it's human nature at its purest. Good luck changing that. Actually that would end the day race is separated from culture, but of course SJWs do not want to have that talk.

You are severely underestimating the extent to which is is deliberate.

Ever hear of redlining? Townships and cities collude with banks to deny black people when they apply for home loans in places where they aren't wanted.

It isn't strictly a "legal barrier," but it happens a lot more than you would probably think, and a few decades ago was rampant.

But this isn't the argument. The argument is that white flight is the consequence of a deliberate hoarding of privilege. Of course, that isn't to say that some cases aren't caused by the simple racism of the person doing the move - but to deny that a "deliberate hoarding of privilege" is taking place is simply to showcase your ignorance of the situation.
No, it's to showcase your conspirationist approach. You're trying to find bizarrely complex (and evil) explanations for a totally mundane phenomenon, which is indeed very similar to the "Chinatown" one, no matter how much post-colonial mumbo jumbo crap you can come up with to say they are totally unrelated. Now both Chinatown and white flight have some undeniable bad consequences, but the people engaging in those phenomena are not doing it deliberately, they are merely seeking their comfort zones. But hey, don't get logic get in the way of your virtue signaling and sociological freak show.

Warning: bad language ahead
Uh, so edgy. Yet so wrong, and betraying such ignorance of humanity.
Here's a priceless advice : real humans are not found in communist treatises or SJW literature. Go out sometime and interact with people.

You are severely underestimating the extent to which is is deliberate.
That's not what the OP article you posted yourself says.

No, it's to showcase your conspirationist approach. You're trying to find bizarrely complex (and evil) explanations for a totally mundane phenomenon,

Again, you simply don't know what you're talking about.

Uh, so edgy. Yet so wrong, and betraying such ignorance of humanity.

I don't think you know what 'edgy' means

The "black areas" of the valley that I live in are completely the result of legal barriers. Those legal barriers may not currently exist, but the black areas that do currently exist coincide with the only areas where black people were legally allowed to buy property until about one generation ago. The legal barriers may have been removed, but their consequences remain.

The "black areas" of the valley that I live in are completely the result of legal barriers. Those legal barriers may not currently exist, but the black areas that do currently exist coincide with the only areas where black people were legally allowed to buy property until about one generation ago. The legal barriers may have been removed, but their consequences remain.
That's right. Desegregation wasn't even that long ago. There are still people alive today who were subject to Jim Crow and the real threat of lynchings. Those attitudes don't just disappear overnight.

That's right. Desegregation wasn't even that long ago. There are still people alive today who were subject to Jim Crow and the real threat of lynchings. Those attitudes don't just disappear overnight.

There are people today who are my own age, or younger, who grew up in a house that was chosen by their parents based on "that's the only place we can buy." I know plenty of them. Asking them to say "oh, well the legal barriers are long gone so that must mean I am unaffected" would be ridiculous.

Top Bottom