• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

White Flight Redux: Self Segregation out of Irrational Fear.

I think the fact that I've been explicitly barred from contesting these ideas tells you all you need to know.

When a message of love becomes a message of hate, that's when you know you're in a totalitarian state.

Of course it is. It's only used against White people, to imply that what are natural feelings for any other group are hateful when felt by White people.

White people are the only ones who have invented an identity based solely on status connected to skin color, so I think singling them out makes sense in this context.

There's white people, then there's rednecks, then there's the overlap of the two, then there's the overlap of the symbols, then there's the deafening roar of society telling you it's all the same. At a certain point, who are you to argue? Unpopular, that's who you are. So back where you started, literally and figuratively.

Warned for ignoring moderator notes and infractions.
White people are the only ones who have invented an identity based solely on status connected to skin color, so I think singling them out makes sense in this context.
Oh? Tell me metalhead, why are search terms like:

"black people meet"
"arab people meet"
"chinese people meet"
"hispanic people meet"
"native american people meet"

all taken completely for granted as normal and natural?

And why is the search term:

"white people meet"

considered racist?

I encourage everyone to do this experiment for themselves.

Moderator Action: Take a week off. You've been warned several times to cut this out. - Vincour
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes history, judged on a moving average, trumps theory/small logic games.

Irish American people have events and it's not weird. Polish American people have events and it's not weird. German American themed events aren't weird. The Farm Bureau has events and they aren't weird. The problem's upstream, not downstream, of the hwhite framing. And some of that framing isn't done by the people most in need of it in order to spread their problems.

That has also been explained several times already.

And has the return to colorblindness been accepted? Because if we're supposed to see in color, skin deep, everybody has a color, skin deep.

Throwing this out there: Would WASP events be acceptable? i.e. Events where white anglo-saxon protestant culture is celebrated (i.e. what is frequently referred to as "white culture" in the u.s.)

I suppose the "white" part of that is redundant, as WASP culture now includes non-whites and non-protestants.. .. and non-anglo-saxons...

So I'm not sure what I'm asking really

W - means white
A - means white
S - means white
P - means protestant

I don't see a problem with churches. Though people attacking the tax exempt status of churches and defending vandalism does seem to rile folks into defense mentality. And frankly, it should. But it tends to make them behave worse, not better.

Throwing this out there: Would WASP events be acceptable? i.e. Events where white anglo-saxon protestant culture is celebrated (i.e. what is frequently referred to as "white culture" in the u.s.)

I suppose the "white" part of that is redundant, as WASP culture now includes non-whites and non-protestants.. .. and non-anglo-saxons...

So I'm not sure what I'm asking really
Isn't everything which isn't covered elsewhere, by minorities, a WASP event already?

I remember my father (somewhat unreconstructed) pointing out to my sister (at the time a rabid, I mean of course, an outspoken feminist) that there was no Men's page in the newspaper, although there were 4 pages devoted to Women.

My sister replied (not unreasonably, as everyone later agreed) that the whole of the rest of the newspaper was devoted to Men.

I would guess that a similar logic could be applied to WASP coverage.

Look. If you're already a member of the dominant privileged group, why should you get any additional privileges?

Isn't everything which isn't covered elsewhere, by minorities, a WASP event already?

Not really. Look at the website "Things white people like". This website seems to be a be a for the most part accurate portrayal of WASP culture. (even though I agree the original intent was obviously to point out amusing stereotypes)

If an event doesn't revolve around any of those things that are considered WASP culture, such as slippers, or whatever else is associated with WASP culture, then I don't think you can say that it's a WASP event.

Oh? Tell me metalhead, why are search terms like:

"black people meet"
"arab people meet"
"chinese people meet"
"hispanic people meet"
"native american people meet"

There wasn't a Black people until White people
There wasn't a Chinese people* until White people
There wasn't a Hispanic people until White people
There wasn't a Native American people until White people

And obviously, as many have pointed out, there were no White People until White People created themselves in the 19th century. And even then, that group didn't include at various times over the past 100 years: Italians, Irish, Spaniards, Poles, Greeks, Russians, Serbs, Croats, etc.

*Chinese here referring to capital C Chinese - the mélange of Han, Miao, Manchu, Mongolian, Hui, Tibetan, etc. and also at times including Korean, Japanese, and possibly SEA groups that Americans often erroneously refer to collectively as "Chinese". Case in point: Szechuan cuisine is called "Chinese food" in the States.

Last edited:
If I understand the term 'red pill' to mean, "the uncensored truth whether you like it or not", it's pretty clear to me who needs to take it in this instance.

Moderator Action: Two separate requests:

1. Please stop responding to posts where the contents within got infracted, especially when the content is about a subject that is now likely to get threads locked.

2. Please stop targeting users.

Thank you.

There wasn't a Black people until White people
There wasn't a Chinese people* until White people
There wasn't a Hispanic people until White people
There wasn't a Native American people until White people

And obviously, as many have pointed out, there were no White People until White People created themselves in the 19th century. And even then, that group didn't include at various times over the past 100 years: Italians, Irish, Spaniards, Poles, Greeks, Russians, Serbs, Croats, etc.
I wonder if you're talking about a very selective set of definitions of the expressions "X people", or if you're just working hard to rewrite history.

Warned for inappropriate language.
Question for the OP, do you live in a minority neighborhood?

I have, and the problem for me is the hip hop music at loud volumes. Hispanics do it too. It's part of their culture. So yes, I do want to live among people who are quiet and don't disturb me. Call me racist if you like. I don't treat other races bad, however. I just acknowledge that there are different cultures in the U.S. By the same token, I don't want to live in some white trash neighborhood with heavy metal playing all night. That's a culture I don't want to be a part of.

My sister lives in a majority black neighborhood and has this problem. She generally tries to keep good relations with the neighbors but sometimes she calls the police when they're doing this late on a school night. Also some of the black neighbors complain about it too so it seems like it's just a few people.

There's an apartment complex across the street which the neighbors blame on being especially trashy and sometimes they fight and we hear them cursing and making a commotion outside.

She had some people dumping diapers in her garbage dump outside her house. She just wasn't bothered by it but one of her neighbors said, "Look, let me tell you about living in the ghetto, don't put up with this <snip>."

Some people are bringing up comparisons with Chinatown. I think the difference is that when you're in a foreign country you want to find people from your country who share your same language and culture. I think 2nd generation Chinese-Americans normally don't stay in Chinatown, I think it's usually people straight from China. In fact I've heard Asian-American marriage with white people is especially high.

At the risk of taking some criticism here, people can get really sanctimonious on this topic but I wonder how many people here actually live in very diverse neighborhoods. And if you do so, you run the risk of people criticizing you for gentrification. And then those white people who criticize you for gentrification are often doing it themselves.

Moderator Action: Please don't evade the auto-censor. - Vincour
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom