Who poses or posed the greater threat against the United States of America?

Immaterial. That is like blaming a rape victim for what she was wearing. The point isn't that the soldiers are expected to experience risk; they are. The point is that the potential risk was needlessly elevated to a far more dangerous level by Manning's actions. The materials he released aided our enemy in how to fight against us as the material showed very descriptively the tactics, methods and capabilities we used to fight.

Well,US soldiers are leaving Afheganistan anyway,so the potencial risk that the Manning's actions have to US soldiers doesn't translate directly into more causalities,unless there's a second 9/11 .

Absolutely nothing released by Manning was even close to being defined as a 'War Crime'. Of course, to some lib wing nuts, everything is 'war crime'. Go figure.

Isn't civilian causalities,torture and prisioner abuse "war crimes"?

Both are heroes and American Patriots.

the people lying us into wars

of course

:goodjob:

The military clearly stated that Mannings actions directly put people's lives in danger.

And? Do you really trust the government that much?

Where is the George Bush, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, et al, and their supporters option?

Well, I don't know about their supporters. That strikes as group guilt to me. Both Bush and Cheney should have been tried and executed for murder a long time ago, but alas, there's no justice and if you wear a government uniform you can get away with anything, especially if its an American government uniform.

Why can't we have a George Rodham Obama option?

Otherwise, I cannot vote.

Yeah... pretty much:p

For a nation founded by traitors, you guys can be pretty hard on traitors.

True:lol:

It's very convenient that you just have to write the right laws to be able to do anything you want in secret.

I thought conservatives have recently decided that they are against that sort of thing.

It depends on what you mean by "Conservative."

I thought Mike Lee was a real conservative, and he definitely didn't show it by all but flat out saying Snowden was a traitor (Zarn, did you see that comment by Mike Lee? Were you as disappointed as I was?) Rand Paul, also a real conservative, and more of one than Lee, said he was "Withholding judgment" but implied that he didn't disagree with Snowden's actions. He just wasn't as vocal about it as his dad, which, considering his position, makes sense. I forget what Ted Cruz said about the thing. I know that Lee, in spite of his stupid comment and his apparent "Law and Order" streak that it showed, is not a fan of the NSA program and Rand Paul obviously isn't either but that likely went without saying.

On the other hand, with neo-conservatives like Lindsey Graham or John McCain, you'll never find a pro-civil liberties bone in their body.

With some it really depends on who the President is, and with your rank and file, what the media says. The talk show hosts will support people like Snowden when a Democrat is in office but they'll scream for their hanging when a Republican is in office.

Right now most conservatives, with the exception of the hard-core neoconservatives, are acting like they support civil liberties because there's a Democrat in office, he's against civil liberties, and they have to look like they're opposed to the D's. When a Republican gets in office, if he does the same things as Obama, most conservatives will end up changing their views. Its really sad but its how it is.

I'm pretty sure, unless he becomes President himself, Rand Paul will pretty much do what he's doing in the senate no matter who's in office. He's not as hardline as his dad is, but he's always been pretty consistent with his own principles. He'll make a few mistakes but I don't think he'll ever give more than lip service to the neo-con right. Rand Paul was against the Patriot Act when Bush was President and if we see President Jeb Bush, President Rubio, President Christie, President Hillary, whatever, I seriously doubt he'll change his tune much.

I'm not quite sure about Mike Lee or Ted Cruz. I was always suspicious of Cruz but I seriously lost some significant faith in Lee after his recent comments. Zarn might have a better guess than I do. I wouldn't be shocked to see Lee and or Cruz basically do what they're doing now with an R in office, but I wouldn't be shocked to see one or both of them cave.

The rest of the Republicans in the Senate, of those who are actually pretending to give a crap about freedom right now (Hardcore neocons like Graham and McCain are even more afraid of being associated with peace or freedom than they are afraid of being associated with Obama, you'll almost certainly see them defend the adminstration right now) will almost certainly flip when the next R gets into office. Which actually makes me happy that we have a Democrat in office. They're making people like Rand Paul able to actually support limited government and look good in the party while doing it.

As for the House, Amash is rock solid and Thomas Massie is rock solid. Both of those will stick with the liberty wing of the party no matter who is in the White House. To my understanding there are a few other good House reps as well but I don't really know who they are.
Both guys are more patriotic than anyone here from any country.

:goodjob:

In the big big picture, probably not. But my concern, especially in Manning's case, is that his actions may have caused the lives of US soldiers in the field. How you ask? For several reasons. Some of the materials he released gave our enemies more insight and knowledge into how we operated in dense urban areas and the capabilities of some of our weapons platforms - such knowledge would be used to put US troops at greater risk than they would be without such knowledge being known. Also, the materials that Manning released most likely led to anger and protests involving retaliation attacks against our soldiers in the field.

Are there those that will dismiss those sort of issues? Sure. Some people will minimize anything especially if the don't agree with it. But the vast majority of soldiers will indeed think what Bradley Manning did was very wrong. You simply don't do something that puts your fellow soldiers lives at risk like that.

Actions have ramifications. What Bradley Manning did absolutely had ramifications that most likely caused the lives of some US soldiers. That is why he is a traitor in my opinion and should be punished to the fullest extent of the law when he receives his guilty verdict(s).

I will always support the defenders over the invaders, even if the attackers are from my country. While I do not wish for US soldiers to be harmed, I care a heck of a lot more about peace and liberty than I do about people who voluntarily agree to go fight wars of aggression in the Middle East.

Bring them home, and you won't have this problem. Anyone who supports having them overseas and anyone who votes based on that support is the one who is responsible for those deaths, not Bradley Manning.

Well,US soldiers are leaving Afheganistan anyway,so the potencial risk that the Manning's actions have to US soldiers doesn't translate directly into more causalities,unless there's a second 9/11 .

If there's a 2nd 9/11, it will just as much be motivated by blowback as the first one. This time, however, with the increases in surveilance, I will not believe them if they say they didn't see it coming...

Neither. I dont like it when the Gov conceals what it is doing. Because......

Then I have to wonder if there is anything ELSE they are not telling me.

Elsberg was not a traitor either.

If thing embarass politicians, they could always NOT do embarassing things. It is simple really.

Absolutely nothing released by Manning was even close to being defined as a 'War Crime'. Of course, to some lib wing nuts, everything is 'war crime'. Go figure.

The footage showing the killing of the Reuters journalists was more a case of fog of war rather then malice.
One mans war crime is another mans collateral damage.

EDIT: You fight in built-up urban residential areas, civilian deaths are sadly inevitable.

Two children wounded in the van were evacuated by U.S. ground forces arriving at the scene as the Apache helicopters continued to circle overhead.

"Well it's their fault for bringing their kids into a battle," one of the U.S. fliers said.

At to the OP, neither Manning or Snowden constitutes a threat to the USA.
Yet that is not going to stop them being treated as such, just as Daniel Ellsberg was.

The footage showing the killing of the Reuters journalists was more a case of fog of war rather then malice.

One mans war crime is another mans collateral damage.
It makes you wonder why the US military tried to cover it up and made such a big deal when it was released. Why they didn't release it themselves since it shows they were merely doing their jobs, instead of needlessly killing about a dozen innocent people including children.

EDIT: You fight in built-up urban residential areas, civilian deaths are sadly inevitable.
That is certainly no reason to condone it when the military should have known that they could very well be journalists. They had to go out of their way to think a telephoto lens was a grenade launcher, and they could have just as easily called in ground forces to check them out instead of being trigger happy shortly after being deployed. Even after ground forces did find out the victims were completely innocent bystanders, they came back and shot up some other innocent civilians in the same area.

No wonder the Iraqis wanted the US military to leave their country as soon as they possibly could. This was just one of thousands of such incidents of "collateral damage" which should have never occurred.

It makes you wonder why the US military tried to cover it up and made such a big deal when it was released. Why they didn't release it themselves since it shows they were merely doing their jobs, instead of killing a dozen innocent people including children. :rolleyes:

This is what war is. (or as that idiot Bush called it "romantic")
If the flag draped coffins cannot be photographed because it is embarrassing for the President, that should tell you all you need to know.

War is tragic, wasteful and horrific.

When Danny Hall and Gordon Phillips, the civilian and military directors of the U.S. provincial reconstruction team in Nangarhar province, Afghanistan, arrived for a meeting with Gul Agha Sherzai, the local governor, in mid-June 2007, they knew that they had a lot of apologizing to do. Philips had to explain why a covert U.S. military "capture/kill" team named Task Force 373, hunting for Qari Ur-Rahman, an alleged Taliban commander given the code-name "Carbon," had called in an AC-130 Spectre gunship and inadvertently killed seven Afghan police officers in the middle of the night.

The incident vividly demonstrated the inherent clash between two doctrines in the U.S. war in Afghanistan -- counterinsurgency ("protecting the people") and counterterrorism (killing terrorists)

It had been no less awkward for Phillips. Just a month earlier, he had personally handed over "solatia" payments -- condolence payments for civilian deaths wrongfully caused by U.S. forces -- in Governor Sherzai's presence, while condemning the act of a Taliban suicide bomber who had killed 19 civilians

Less than a week later, a Task Force 373 team fired five rockets at a compound in Nangar Khel in Paktika province to the south of Khost, in an attempt to kill Abu Laith al-Libi, an alleged al-Qaeda member from Libya. When the U.S. forces made it to the village, they found that Task Force 373 had destroyed a madrassa (or Islamic school), killing six children and grievously wounding a seventh who, despite the efforts of a U.S. medical team, would soon die.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-215_162-6790028.html

The ramifications from the footage Manning released was felt in Iraq, not Afghanistan.

Civilian casualties: Not in all cases. Civilian casualties are to be minimalized and they cannot be specifically targeted if they are recognized as a non-combatant; however, because of the violence and often chaos inherit in a warzone it is recognized as impossible to prevent all such casualties.

Torture is against the law of land warfare.

Prisoner abuse: totally depends on what you define as 'abuse'.

Needless to say I don't think any of the material that Manning released involved 'torture' or even 'abuse' of prisoners.

Precisely so.

We'd prefer to fight the enemy elsewhere; but the enemy prefers built-up urban residential areas.

Manning released considerably more embarrassing information than Elsburg did, including diplomatic cables and Iraq war footage, whereas Elsburg has mostly just confirmed that nothing done on the Internet is private information from the US government, which shouldn't be much of a surprise for anyone paying attention.

Manning embarrassed the US government more. Neither one did any real damage to the US as a nation-state.

I recall reading about the construction of this new massive and I meand massive data collection center of the NSA two years ago. Clearly, it was already back then supposed to be used for something.
Though that just gives us a very vague idea. Elsburg made that vague idea a lot more solid, which is important to make media and hence public opinion give a dame.

The Utah Data Center is rumored to be able to hold 5 zettabytes.

1 ZB = 1000000000000000000000bytes = 1000**7 bytes = 10**21 bytes = 1000 exabytes.

According to International Data Corporation, the total amount of global data is expected to grow to 2.7 zettabytes during 2012. This is 48% up from 2011.[14]

Mark Liberman calculated the storage requirements for all human speech ever spoken at 42 zettabytes if digitized as 16 kHz 16-bit audio. This was done in response to a popular expression that states "all words ever spoken by human beings" could be stored in approximately 5 exabytes of data (see exabyte for details). Liberman did freely confess that "maybe the authors [of the exabyte estimate] were thinking about text".[15]

Both are heroes and American Patriots.

And this is why you fail so hard.

A hero or patriot isn't someone who puts their fellow soldiers/citizens at higher risk simply because they don't agree with a legitimate/legal policy decision.

That is not a whistleblower. That is not a hero. That is not a patriot.

I suppose if you already decide to construct such a thing it is no longer a matter of choice if you will start to massively collect data by various means. The infrastructure and personal is there, it will demand to be employed.
Only it occurred the other way around. The NSA has been collecting as much US internet traffic as it possibly could for about a decade now, and it has likely been doing to same to the rest of the world since its inception. They had to come up with some place to store it all.

A hero or patriot isn't someone who puts their fellow soldiers/citizens at higher risk simply because they don't agree with a legitimate/legal policy decision.
Didn't George Washington shoot, like, a bunch of his fellow British soldiers/citizens?

Only it occurred the other way around. The NSA has been collecting as much US internet traffic as it possibly could for about a decade now, and it has likely been doing to same to the rest of the world since its inception. They had to come up with some place to store it all.
As true as that may be, what I am trying to point us is that with the construction of this facility, massive data collection has been enshrined. I think it can be viewed like a constitution, just not in words, but rock-solid facts. What before the construction of the facility was a policy decision, now is a fact of life.
To illustrate: One could cut the budget of the NSA. It it far more troublesome to cut a materialized investment as this new data collection center.

Didn't George Washington shoot, like, a bunch of his fellow British soldiers/citizens?

I've noticed this theme from you frequently lately. I especially liked that one image you linked, btw! Anyway, while I am usually loath to invoke hollywood, I do clearly recall a scene from the miniseries Shogun back in the.. hell, 70s or 80s. Blackthorn (Richard Chamberlain) is having to defend himself to Toranaga against allegations from the Jesuits that the English are just lawless rebels.

His response was that there was one condition which legitimized it. Victory. Might may not make right, but it certainly makes a lot of things moot. Either way, it was a long time ago and we've forgiven y'all, our perhaps overly protective parents, for trying to restrain us way back when. XXX OOO to mum :)

I've noticed this theme from you frequently lately. I especially liked that one image you linked, btw! Anyway, while I am usually loath to invoke hollywood, I do clearly recall a scene from the miniseries Shogun back in the.. hell, 70s or 80s. Blackthorn (Richard Chamberlain) is having to defend himself to Toranaga against allegations from the Jesuits that the English are just lawless rebels.

His response was that there was one condition which legitimized it. Victory. Might may not make right, but it certainly makes a lot of things moot. Either way, it was a long time ago and we've forgiven y'all, our perhaps overly protective parents, for trying to restrain us way back when. XXX OOO to mum :)
That's a great book. I have never seen the mini-series. Toronaga responds (in the book) by stating that Blackthorne has described the one-and-only case in which rebellion against your lord is justified.

Washington never gained a commission in the British Army; he was a member of the provincial militia not the British regulars. In any event, by the start of the revolution he had been out of military service for 17 years.

That is not a whistleblower. That is not a hero. That is not a patriot.

invading iraq based on BS may be legal but it aint legitimate, but 3 top officials in the Bush adm outed a cia agent and not only did they walk, even I wouldn't have supported lengthy prison sentences for being traitors

....but 3 top officials in the Bush adm outed a cia agent and not only did they walk, even I wouldn't have supported lengthy prison sentences for being traitors

Scooter Libby didn't walk, and what makes you think what he did was 'traitorous' as opposed to simply being a crime?

Top Bottom