1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Marines?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cheetah, Jan 15, 2010.

1. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Which is way all the other services refer to all marines as jarheads. :lol:

Wasnt that way when I went through, but yeah, that pisses me off a lot. I had thought they did away with the stress cards a bit ago though?

/blah.

Yup, thats true. No one wants a load of shrapnel coming their way from a misplaced claymore. Learning to place claymores is a basic skill they teach everyone. Maybe thats why its there....:p

2. vesley1987

vesley1987 Prince

China only has 2 brigade of "marines", and both are based in South Sea. But they're under direct command of the navy headquater(PLAN), rather than South Sea Fleet.

3. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Blood Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I just call them "marines jacked up on psycho and steroids". Due to there uber gun ho nature.

Do they also teach how to disarm one? Claymores I heard were nasty pieces of equiptment, perhaps as deadly as having a bouquet of frag grenades set to drop with there pins pulled out the moment you trip a trip wire.

4. MobBoss

Except that it wasnt solely the marines conquest. In any operation like that, the push will be divided amongst several commands. Marines will be one (or more) prong, while army maneuver units will be others. The marines dont have as heavy or as many assets as the army does, but in cases like Iraq and Afghanistan it doesnt matter for the most part.

Thats not a marine, but a trooper.

5. MobBoss

They are easy to disarm. Its not a wine glass. But anytime you are dealing with something that goes 'boom' like that being careful is common sense.

6. GenMarshall

So marines can just waltz right into a landlocked country :crazyeye:.

Actually, it is a type marine in the star wars universe:

"Formed into the Stormtrooper Corps, stormtroopers operated alongside Imperial Army and Navy units independently, while some placed on Navy ships were given the name "marines.""[Source]

If they can board other spaceships in space, then what are they called?! :crazyeye:

7. MobBoss

Yup, right side by side with the Army.

If your enemy has no effective counter to tanks and APCs, yeah, pretty much.

8. say1988

say1988 Deity

Honestly, the degree of independence is likely due to their history as much as anything else, and the fact that they operate completely different from the rest of the Navy.

As for why the services have overlap, this is usually with specialized forces.
    For example, aircraft:
    Army Aviation's combat aircraft are helicopters, primarily used to support ground forces (close air support and transport), while they have a number of reconnaissance and light transport aircraft (transporting individuals and small groups).
    US Navy aircraft are primarily sea based (or capable of being based on ships), and transport that is required for them.
    Marine aircraft are (like the Army) primarily close air support, transport, and reconnaissance, though more capable than the Army for air to air combat.
    The Air Force having the land based bombers and fighters, heavy transports, previously the larger long range reconnaissance, etc...

If a new military was formed now, I suspect the elements would be more distinct. In fact in modern days I suspect the distinction between the branches themselves would be quite blurry at least.
    The US armed forces (along with most other militaries) has had a long history of rivalry that goes beyond good natured ribbing. Everybody wanted everything they could have under their own control.

As for the "space marines" in the future, who knows, but I expect that if military capabilities were to spread beyond orbit the Air Force, not the Navy (like most fiction shows), would have official control of it until it grew and broke off, much as the Air Force was to the Army. Unless a fourth party is created right off the bat to stop any fighting over it.

Also: historically, I believe, the Marines weren't just the Navy's infantry, but the US ground presence overseas in general.

9. GenMarshall

I doubt the Air Force would wanna command large behemoth spaceships. At most, it should be largely a naval job anyway. Star fighters would be lumped along with naval aviation or under the air force.

10. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

I prefer the regular army too, for reasons I cannot explain. Prefered the red army to spetznaz too

11. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

BTW, the Marines are NOT used for ship and naval base security in any regular sense. This ended in during the Cold War, and even then they only provided security for nuclear weapons on carriers.

12. JohnRM

JohnRM Don't make me destroy you

All I have to say is that if you want put a foot up someone's butt and you need to do it right quick, you don't call the Army. You call the Marines.

13. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Nah, call the SAS. Much as I hate to say it.

14. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

Not an equivalent organization.

15. bhsup

bhsup Deity

The Marines are not "special forces" though.

16. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Or the SBS, which is part of, you've guessed it, the Royal Marines. ;)

17. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

My
    Arse
    Rides
    In
    Navy
    Equipment

SIR!

or

Muscles
    Are
    Required
    Intelligence
    Not
    Expected

:D

18. taper

taper Meet Tux

All I know is that in the battle of Guadalcanal, when the Marines got bogged down they sent in the North Dakota National Guard(164th Infantry), which broke through. Many of the 164th then volunteered for Merrill's Marauders, which shouldn't need any further explanation.

All kidding aside, I wouldn't want to be a Marine, but I'm very glad there are those that do.

19. capslock

capslock Emperor

The USMC was disbanded for a while. Then it came back. Since then its been in danger of going away a couple times. But we are still here, and probably will be for some time.

WWII made the Marine Corps famous and probably ensured our existance for quite some time, but our history is much more about small wars and conflicts all over the globe, rather than huge total wars like the war in the Pacific. The Savage Wars of Peace by Max Boot gives a good quick history.

20. Badtz Maru

Badtz Maru King

Someone told me this once as an explanation of the distinction between Army and Marines, I'm not sure if it's true.

Army is trained that, when assaulting a fortified position on high ground, you go prone, make the most of your cover, and gradually work your way up to the defended position.

Marines are trained to assault the position standing up.

Now, there are situations where you don't want your troops charging into battle instead of cautiously approaching it and there's nothing wrong with the Army way of doing it, but Marines aren't used in those situations, and when you're ready to expend a sizable percentage of a force to take control of a position NOW, you use Marines.