1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Marines?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cheetah, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Deity

We have 5 platoons per company, 5 companies per bat... but I kinda excluded the REMFs (command platoons/companies... you know with captains and majors - admin ranks). Our Lts (O1 and O2) and Light Colonels (O5) are where the action is at. Our O3s and O4s file paperwork; beyond O5 who knows what they do. O6 and beyond is not generally for real elites (SF tab people) anyway.

2. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

3. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

I'm told that the SBS debate that rather enthusiastically...

4. otago

otago Deity

I was still serving when that incident came up, being the Mortar platoon Sergeant my cheeky damn cousin who was a Royal at home on leave wanted to know if we ate bananas the 3 Para mortar way,
    Sideways :D

SAS the best infantry, our SAS takes blokes from all services and from civilian life for selection.
    I would happily put my top tube crew up against any of the SAS lads when it came to skill using a 81.
    Difference being is we got a lot more training time in on the tubes.
    And we did not use table spoons of petrol that often :goodjob:

A troop of the SAS up against a company of experienced mechanised infantry, my money would be on the infantry with their LAV 3 firepower.
    Damn good optics in the LAVs.

5. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus

You mean LAW. Ever see Bravo Two Zero?

Ummm... it's just from service. No civillian has ever served with the SAS - are you sure you're a para?

That they do. Although, recently they have started working together a lot more, so maybe they can kiss and make up.

6. say1988

say1988 Deity

A comes before B :)

And why do we still have the bloody Christmas smilies?

7. gugalpm

gugalpm Veteran of psychic wars

Actually, the Portuguese created their "marines" (although they didn't have the same role) at about the same time as the French. They were the Terço da Armada de Portugal, created in 1621. ;)

Maybe you're right about the Spaniards, I have no idea.

8. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Deity

Nothing is better than Delta, not even seals.

9. otago

otago Deity

I was far too smart to leap out of a serviceable aircraft at my weight of eighteen stone, the sods would have hooked me up to a cargo chute.
    I should have said the NZ SAS, I served with the RNZIR.

A LAW versus a 25mm cannon at 500 metres, my money is on the LAV 3.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAV_III
    Yep read Bravo Two Zero, and I keep on wondering, why the hell were they on foot instead of in Pinks with some firepower ?
    I have a suspicion that politics played a part, quicker to get a team in by chopper with those scuds landing on Israel.

10. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

What about Roman Centurions? Or maybe Aztecs.

11. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

I've heard that the Viking Squad, as they are so wonderfully named, cannot be beaten on counter-terrorism. I understand that one of their proudest achievements is that they've never killed anyone.

12. otago

otago Deity

I wonder who taught Delta what they know to start with ?
    Delta, Delta, were they not involved in a trip to Iran in 79 that went just a touch wrong ?

13. Ecofarm

Ecofarm Deity

Delta was probably involved in every ground-based covert action of the past decades.

So what? Does the US require a perfect record for Delta's sake? No, because they are always PART of the action.

14. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Who gives a damn? My dad taught me how to ski a decade ago; does that make him a better skier than I am now?

15. Tank_Guy#3

Tank_Guy#3 Lion of Lehistan

Oh come on VRWC, when they say the Marines are under the Department of the Navy, you merely respond: "Yea, the Men's Department!"

16. Elta

Elta 我不会把这种

Actually, if a Scientific American *(a very legit magazine( article I read 3 years ago was correct - in about 22 years the Marine Corps is expecting a "space ship" that can take off on it's own and deliver 13 marines any where in the world in under 3 hours.

It's not really meant to be a "outer space ship" so much as it is a space ship - Go up high and use that to travel quickly any where in the world.

I am not smart enough to articulate how traveling into space allows you to travel any where in 3 hours but it does.

* When I say very legit I mean - it's been around over 150 years and it seems all of their prediction are accurate, as show by their articles from 50,100 and 150 years ago shown in every edition - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_American

P.S. please note, yours was the last post I read before posting that - so if someone beat me too it I am sorry.

17. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus

OK, sorry. Rant over. I assumed you meant that you were the mortar platoon sergeant.

I said at the time and always will say that they should have used wheels, but their logic was that they would probably be needed to hide somewhere, which you can't do with cars; but why didn't they just take them in and leave them a few miles from their OP to be picked up by a bird? They said something about not being able to carry enough fuel, but they could have taken more than enough quite easily.

18. Glassfan

Glassfan Mostly harmless

No, they weren't.

Delta was created after and because of that debacle.

19. Shekwan

Shekwan Kim Chi Quaffing Celt

Iceland #1!

The name alone puts them ahead of the competition.

20. Desmond Hawkins

Desmond Hawkins Deity

@Ecofarm. What do you mean by "consent" by the US Army or Marines for various movies? Can't people just make any movies they please about such things? Is it a matter of not having the service's help in terms of details, equipment, etc.? Or can they literally veto any such portrayal of themselves?