WikiLeaks Sweden rape case re-opened

PlutonianEmpire

King of the Plutonian Empire
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/09/01/sweden.assange/index.html?hpt=Sbin
(CNN) -- The rape case involving WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is being reopened, Swedish prosecutors said Wednesday.

"There is reason to believe that a crime has been committed," read a statement from Marianne Ny, Sweden's director of public prosecutions. "Considering information available at present, my judgment is that the classification of the crime is rape."

She said more investigation is necessary before she can make a final decision.

An ongoing investigation about a separate charge of molestation will be extended, she added, but the charge will also be escalated to include a sexual component.

The molestation charge was previously equivalent to a non-sexual charge of harassment, but it will now come under the heading of sexual coercion and sexual molestation, which are both crimes, she said.

Assange's lawyer, Leif Silbersky, said he and his client were "very surprised" at the decisions.

"It's unbelievable," he told CNN. "We thought that this circus had ended. Now it's happening all over again."

Prosecutors questioned Assange for about an hour on Monday, though only about the complaint of molestation, Silbersky told CNN. He said police never mentioned the rape allegation during that questioning.

"He maintains that he is completely innocent," Silbersky said.

Silbersky said he has not been shown anything about the rape allegation and is not sure what the next step is.

Swedish authorities arrested Assange "in absentia" last month on charges of rape and molestation. The chief prosecutor later revoked the arrest warrant and dropped the rape charge. The charges came from two separate women.

The lawyer for both women appealed, asking for the rape charge to be reinstated and the molestation charge to be upgraded to include a sexual component.

Before he was questioned, Assange told CNN he had no idea what the case was about.

Assange told the Arabic-language television network Al-Jazeera August 22 the accusations are "clearly a smear campaign." The only question, he said, is who is behind it.

The allegations follow WikiLeaks' release last month of 76,000 pages of U.S. documents related to the war in Afghanistan. U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates has criticized the leak, saying it would have a significant negative impact on troops and allies, revealing techniques and procedures.

Assange has defended the leak, saying it can help shape the public's understanding of the war. He said the material was of no operational significance and that WikiLeaks tried to ensure the material did not put innocent people at risk.

The attorney for the alleged victims has told CNN that rumors of possible Pentagon or CIA involvement in the sex crime accusations against Assange are "complete nonsense."
Those bastards.

Is this even a good idea?

Obviously, some people have a vendetta to settle. :rolleyes:

If he didn't want to get accused of rape, he should not of had Sex.

Methinks someone didn't like him getting off :mischief:

I read that the lawyer for the girls (2 of them) never dropped their demand for a trial. They continued to pressure the rape charge. However they charges were never he was proven innocent as is the case with most things in life it is not clear cut.

The second recent development, which is already causing some of WikiLeaks' own loyal supports to question whether the group is its own worst enemy is, not surprisingly, the widely publicized sexual-misconduct investigation of Assange in Sweden. WikiLeaks' latest tweet on that subject (at the time this story was written) portrays the most recent developments in the investigation in the most favorable light possible: "WikiLeaks founder cleared of sex allegations | AP" The reality, however, as the wire service story makes clear, and as Declassified reported in greater detail earlier on Wednesday, is that while Swedish prosecutors have indeed terminated an investigation that resulted in a warrant for Assange's arrest in connection with an allegation of rape being issued and then quickly canceled, a Swedish prosecutor is still investigating Assange in connection to an allegation of "molestation" and has determined that there is sufficient reason to order police to interrogate Assange about the allegations.

http://www.newsweek.com/blogs/declassified/2010/08/26/is-wikileaks-too-full-of-itself.html

Another look at the rape case reopening:
http://www.newsweek.com/blogs/declassified/2010/09/01/rape-probe-of-wikileaks-chief-reopened.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...nge--women-involved-tell-different-story.html

You seriously think he raped her?

I mean how stupid would you have to be?

a woman would never lie about a rape. No means no. Any man who rapes a woman is stupid, yet it happens. Sadly, it does happen.

I'm kidding of course, women lie about rape all the time. I'm sure they were paid by someone to make up the case.

The girl who reported the rape didn't like him getting off obviously. Hence the rape case.

http://gawker.com/5624854/wikileaks...e-report-leaked-his-top+secret-moves-revealed

The Daily Mail has managed to secure a copy of the police report detailing Julian Assange's alleged molestation of two Swedish women. Inside, we learn that Assange's preferred method of seducing groupies is to feed them cheese.

The report certainly supports the "Julian Assange Banged His Groupies" theory over the "Pentagon smear campaign" explanation of his recent sex scandal. We've already heard about Assange's fling with Anna Ardin, the leftist politician who helped bring him to Sweden. The Daily Mail elaborates on the second, younger woman, "Woman B." The 20-something became fascinated with Assange after hearing of Wikileaks' huge Afghanistan war documents leak. According to the Mail, "over the following two weeks she read everything she could find about him on the internet and followed news reports about his activities."

Wikileaks Founder's Molestation Police Report Leaked: His Top-Secret Moves Revealed
Woman B at Assange's press conference

When she heard Assange was headed to Sweden, she staked out a press conference, wearing a "shocking-pink cashmere jumper." Afterwards, she got herself invited to lunch with Assange and two male companions. This is when Assange started to deploy his highly classified moves according to the police report, as reported by the Daily Mail:

The Cheese Feeding Strategy

Assange seemed pleased to have such an ardent admirer fawning over him and, she said, would look at her ‘now and then'. Eventually he took a closer interest.

She explained in her statement that he was tucking into cheese served on Swedish crispbread when she asked if he thought it was good.

Assange looked at her directly and started to feed her.

The Ask-for-a-laptop-charger Approach

He told her that he needed a charger for his laptop, and she eagerly offered to help...

They went on a vain search for the charger. She bought him a travel card for the metro because he said he didn't have any money.

The Movie Theater Heavy Petting Plan

At 6pm they entered a bijou cinema to watch a short film about the ocean, called Deep Sea. In the darkness Assange became amorous.

At one point they moved to the back row, where it is clear from the woman's statement that the pair went far beyond kissing and fondling.

The "I Can't Pay for My Train Ticket Because The U.S. Government Is Tracking Me" Ploy

She wanted to go to a hotel, but he said he would like to see her home.

Again she bought his £10 train ticket because he had no cash and said he didn't want to use his credit card in case his movement was being tracked.

He spent most of the 45-minute journey surfing the internet on his laptop, reading stories about himself and twittering or texting on his mobile phone.

The Have Sex In the Morning, Get Her to Buy You Another Train Ticket Then Never Call Her Again Tact

They parted on friendly terms and she bought his train ticket back to Stockholm. When she asked if he would call, he said: ‘Yes, I will.'

But he did not and neither did he answer her calls.

Woman B then called Anna Ardin, whom she'd met at a seminar, to talk about her experience. When they realized they'd been double-crossed, they went to the police. (Ardin said she merely went to support Woman B, who wanted to inquire about making Assange take an STD test, as he didn't use a condom despite her insistence.) Then things got weird, the police issued an arrest warrant for rape in Woman B's case and quickly withdrew it. The molestation charges are still pending. The police reports are heavily redacted so it's hard to tell exactly what Assange did to warrant the accusation, but it appears to be related to his refusal to wear a condom.

Frat guys do a lot worse every single night.

*takes notes* women can be plied with cheese. Good stuff. I'm off to the supermarket.

Personally I think all the charges will be dropped provided he does not have an STD.

Do I think its some government conspiracy? No. I think its two women he slept with then dumped and refused to take an STD test and it went crazy from there. I do not know Swedish law so cannot comment further.

Rape cases are always one of the hardest to prove.

The timing of the alleged rapes and the release of the Afghanistan information makes me suspect.

You seriously think he raped her?

I mean how stupid would you have to be?

What? Men dont commit rape? I never woulda thunk it.

I like how he complains to Al-Jazeera....

I say, investigate it, and if it has merit, charge him and go to court. If not, then drop it.

Rape allegations should be taken seriously, no matter the political consequences.

Furthermore, Sweden is not some lawless, cryptofascist hellhole, it's a liberal, Western democracy with strong legal institutions and a respect for the rule of law.

I agree with MobBoss -- if the case has merit, then charge him and go to court.

What? Men dont commit rape? I never woulda thunk it.
I meant given his current situation. He's basically handing himself over.

And I'm inclined to believe that it was dropped at first for a reason. Plus the fact that this is right after the release of those tapes is obviously suspect.

I agree, it's a pretty convenient time to rape a girl and get away with it. Obviously suspect.

We don't know what did or didn't happen there. To drop the charges just because they come at a suspicious time would be downright criminal. Let the Swedes investigate the case and determine what happened and then act accordingly :)

Top Bottom