Will the US come out of all this remaining the world's sole superpower?

When reconstruction and reform is done, where will the US stand?

• The United States will remain the world's only superpower.

Votes: 54 51.4%
  • The United States will be a major power, but will no longer be in a league of it's own.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • The United States will be a first-world nation, but no longer a major power.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • The United States will be something like Russia.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • The United States will be over-run by barbarian giant radioactive monkeys.

Votes: 11 10.5%

• Total voters
Riesstiu IV said:
Petroleum is simply an amazing product that has thousands of uses. You would be hard pressed to find another source to replace all of its functions. And even if the US started researching heavily this very moment and diverting massive founds for such a project, it’s too late. The damage is done. The best the government can do is try and ration oil and divert it for more important areas like agriculture and medicine.

What damage? Environmental? Economic? Our dependency?

silver 2039 said:
What damage? Environmental? Economic? Our dependency?

I meant the damage has been done on regular flow of oil into the US. The gulf oil industry will be disabled for years to come.

The USA will stay the only superpower, but I do think that the USA will focus more on domestic issues and decrease it's efforts in the war on terror to use the money for homeland security (against nature and terror), infrastructure improvement and logistics improvement.

Dreadnought said:
Can you imagine the chaos when the oil runs out? ;)

Thats not my major concern, the real problem is when it costs more energy to extract the oil and the energy it can produce.

Look, a hurricane won't destroy America. It will be America itself, because all empires carry the seeds of their own destruction (Winston Churchill).

We're not in danger of running out of oil. Lack of oil is not the problem, the problem is getting it where it needs to go in a timely manner and getting the oil from selfish billionaire Sheikhs.

Elrohir said:
We're not in danger of running out of oil. Lack of oil is not the problem, the problem is getting it where it needs to go in a timely manner and getting the oil from selfish billionaire Sheikhs.
In what way are they selfish? I mean I understand that they live opulent lifestyles whilst most of there countrymen are poor, but I'm not sure why the US can consider them selfish. They don't have to provide oil to people, do they? And if they withhold lots of oil, or do other things to try to drive up prices, well that's capitalism, and fair game, isn't it?

Maybe you consider them selfish because they don't do exactly what is best for the US?

Civlord said:
Look, a hurricane won't destroy America. It will be America itself, because all empires carry the seeds of their own destruction (Winston Churchill).

True enough, but it could be an external event that would reveal the weakness and push things over the tipping point (one that, in better times, might have had little effect).

I'm a little scared, but I doubt it will be that serious. We'll survive, as fine as we were before.

It would be so tragic and sad if America declined during my lifetime, though. It would be a great blow to my pysche.

Timko said:
Maybe you consider them selfish because they don't do exactly what is best for the US?

Right on, there are people all over the world that are rich in billions, yet we don't call them selfish.

Yes, it would suck if America crashed in my lifetime, if it did it would be another GD for sure :(

Unfortunately, this hurricane is doing more and more damage. Already our debt is in the trillions, we have overspent for years with huge deficits, and our economy is going pretty well, the price of oil is going up too, which is perfect breeding grounds for inflation. The Fed has a choice, pop the housing bubble with higher interest rates to fight inflation or let inflation come.

Top Bottom