Workers of the World!

Thats just it Quinzy, they didn't need those works, they lived by cattle, and if they needed (lets say) crop, the either looted some village or trade for it. Nomads... they don't do farming and mining :nope:

Cop on, mate...The Mongol civ in game is dependent upon Workers for it's very existence. So, it's not so hard to simply follow the what-if principle and give them a Mongol-flavoured worker.

C'mon now. . .

I was thinking of a Mongol Worker with a horse, but it would be a fair bit of work. Anyone with Poser could make a Mexican worker if they used the animation file I posted and put a sombrero on him, though...

A Mongol worker with a horse would be great. It would serve multiple purposes too, and could function as a worker for any group of Asiatic or Turkic nomads, including the ever-popular Huns. It would also compliment the Mongol settler.

Do you know Rob's Mongol Spearman from Anno Domini? This guy, same clothes, just a shovel - perfect!

@SoG: What's wrong with the Mexicans using the Standard Firaxis worker? Hey, see?

I think this was a "yes", actually :).

Yes, quite a big "yes." And actually since many Roman veterans were settled in colonies and on the soil throughout the empire, Roman legionaries farming isn't such a stretch, particularly for the later empire when Roman troops continued to serve the Frankish Merovingian kings but continued to live where the imperial government had originally settled them. Later Roman (Byzantine) soldiers, the thematic troops, also farmed and fought. So there are quite a few arguments in favor of a legionary worker.

Yes, quite a big "yes." And actually since many Roman veterans were settled in colonies and on the soil throughout the empire, Roman legionaries farming isn't such a stretch, particularly for the later empire when Roman troops continued to serve the Frankish Merovingian kings but continued to live where the imperial government had originally settled them. Later Roman (Byzantine) soldiers, the thematic troops, also farmed and fought. So there are quite a few arguments in favor of a legionary worker.

Hrafnkell, he's not talking about Romans but Mongols. And I'm repeating my self, Mongols didn't build roads! why would they if they are nomads?

This is senseless. We're talking Civ here. In Civ, Mongols build workers. Period.

Um, I'm actually modding the Mongols to not build settlers or workers (this ignores their Chinese Empire phase, but so it goes.) I've made sure there's no fresh water near Karakorum (so no city size growth beyond town); a fierce infantry garrison (MF=0) is in place and a GW auto-produces hordes. I really wanted the Mongols in my mod, but see them as unmoddable using regular barbarians. And they were a Civ without cities: as has been pointed out, they were pastoralists: all those guys with plows and shovels were the antithesis of what they wanted the land to be (forage).

Just my 2 (fill in currency here)

Best,

Oz

Why would they not build roads? The Mongols were not a bunch of "barbarians" but had a highly organized army and society and arguably, they ceased being nomads when Genghis Khan united them and built an empire. And after all, if they "are" nomads, then they should not be able to build cities either, since they'd in essence take their cities with them. But as Ares said, this is Civ. We're stuck with the system and the system requires cities in order to build anything, including settlers. So no reason at all the Mongols should not also have workers.

Well since the Mongols really only became a Civ in civ terms under Mr. Genghis Khan(Who Firaxis did not do justice with a leaderhead in Civ3 but ironicly did a pretty good job in 4....:mad: ) It stands to reason that a mongol worker with all the powers of a worker would not be out of the question. After all you are him in game building an empire. And historicly would not Genghis learn how to keep an empire toghether?

Plotinus: Theres more to a Mexican worker than just the hat, they have distinct clothing as well...

But those clothing props are available on-site, they'd just need some texture maps perhaps :)

Mongols were Pastoral nomads and farming a tile in game should relate to some extent to that form of agriculture surely. And as for roads, what about the lines that streched all the way to Europe? Those were roadways on some sort or other. And they must have mined to some extent to obtain metal ores for equipment and weaponary.

Basically, it's safe to say that people wouldn't say no to a Mongol worker :D

I'm happy that the nomad discussion continues somewhere. As to a Mongol worker - why not just call it a Central Asian worker? Tibet could use one with similar dress, as well as that Tokharian civilization someone must be working in secret.:p

Top Bottom